Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jun 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4054763)   #2301
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
It's a VLN/N24 rule. It's fantastically complicated. I strongly suggest you don't bother trying to understand it. Just enjoy the spectacle .
When strategies diverge towards the end, even slightly, not understanding the "aggregate" standings of the cars somewhat diminishes the enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
They don't red flag for rain, they red flag for visibility. Once marshal posts can't see each other, it's stopped. Other than that, drivers are expected to deal with it.
They said it was actually due to the medical chopper not being able to take off in these conditions.

Over the years race organisers everywhere became more cautious. But on the other hand, I can't help but praise the organisation for how they dealt with incidents on the track prior to the red flag. 10-15 years ago it would be a Safety Car snooze fest half the time. Slow zones completely transformed this race.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4054764)   #2302
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I don't really like the Creventic series rules where they run x hours on Day1, flag the thing and skip all night running, go to bed and start for Y hours on day 2.

But basically that is exactly what they are doing here and now.
The only difference is with Creventic you know in advance that is going to happen.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 21:41 (Ref:4054769)   #2303
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
No restart before 07:00 ???

This is turning into a non-race.
night of N24 is always a 50/50 between racing or redflag due rain, fog, storm etc...
Old 5 Jun 2021, 22:16 (Ref:4054773)   #2304
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well this is the most disappointing event of 2021 so far.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 22:28 (Ref:4054774)   #2305
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty frustrating, was looking forward to staying up on the sofa and watching this tonight
Old 5 Jun 2021, 22:41 (Ref:4054775)   #2306
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While it has been waning anyways, this whole geoblocking thing has really crushed my enthusiasm for circuit racing in the last few years when I can't even find a way to watch the few events that still excite me.

Unless I'm blind, the N24 site doesn't even explain how to watch it for different regions, which seems ridiculous to me... Why wouldn't you make it as clear as possible?

I know the race is red flagged, but I figured I'd wind back in the stream to watch the start of it... except there is no stream for the US that I can find that isn't pitlane or onboards. Sure glad I didn't wake up early and make time with plans to watch the start live...
Old 5 Jun 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4054777)   #2307
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgd1l5yigU

This is the flooding at Spa, I know it was mentioned during the N24 Qual sessions. Wow they were not kidding. That was bad.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 23:14 (Ref:4054778)   #2308
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
While it has been waning anyways, this whole geoblocking thing has really crushed my enthusiasm for circuit racing in the last few years when I can't even find a way to watch the few events that still excite me.

Unless I'm blind, the N24 site doesn't even explain how to watch it for different regions, which seems ridiculous to me... Why wouldn't you make it as clear as possible?

I know the race is red flagged, but I figured I'd wind back in the stream to watch the start of it... except there is no stream for the US that I can find that isn't pitlane or onboards. Sure glad I didn't wake up early and make time with plans to watch the start live...
Crazy thing is that other than the N24 race itself. Youtube coverage at the N'Ring is great. NLS, The N'Ring 6 hour Q race. The N24 practice/Qual sessions, the onboard streams. Its all there...except for...yeah. Well you know what since they started Geoblocking they can't seem to get actual 24 hour races in anymore...ha ha.
Old 5 Jun 2021, 23:23 (Ref:4054779)   #2309
WyldStallion
Veteran

Check this out...the driver of the slowest car in the N24 field this year. Giving commentary while driving and cars passing him everywhere. And he is having the time of his life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKL5fjdzpk
Old 6 Jun 2021, 00:04 (Ref:4054781)   #2310
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Really great VPN, to help you get around the geo-block: https://nordvpn.com/
Old 6 Jun 2021, 01:22 (Ref:4054783)   #2311
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Check this out...the driver of the slowest car in the N24 field this year. Giving commentary while driving and cars passing him everywhere. And he is having the time of his life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKL5fjdzpk
Loving it. They should stream the race like this

Last edited by Pandamasque; 6 Jun 2021 at 01:30.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 04:21 (Ref:4054790)   #2312
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course its very frustrating but then, who do you blame? You cant control the weather.

Next info is in 40 minutes (7am local) but from the cameras still streaming it looks just as bad, cant see it lifting for a while yet.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 05:07 (Ref:4054792)   #2313
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Next update on potential start to be given at 1am Central/2am Eastern
Old 6 Jun 2021, 05:08 (Ref:4054793)   #2314
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Apparently fog scheduled to begin lifting around 10am local time, which is 3am Central
Old 6 Jun 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4054810)   #2315
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
They keep postponing and postponing.
Apart from Glickenhaus getting more air time to complain about LMP2s nothing has happened.

I'm giving up on this non-race for now, and watch LMS instead.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 09:36 (Ref:4054812)   #2316
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
At this point ADAC should consider permanently rescheduling the event to a time of the year in which the statistical probability of extreme weather including but not limited to rain, hail, snow, fog, frogs, locust etc. is the smallest in a year for that specific region (I know it's never going to be zero).
Old 6 Jun 2021, 09:41 (Ref:4054813)   #2317
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I keep occasionally flicking back to the stream and the visibility still looks bad.

Reminds me of 2018 and they had to restart it for the finish and the conditions if anything got worse.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4054822)   #2318
WyldStallion
Veteran

Woke up from sleep and looks like we have the first ever 8 hours of Nurburgring. Manthay Porsche leading as I type this with 1 hour 45 mins left.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4054829)   #2319
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
At this point ADAC should consider permanently rescheduling the event to a time of the year in which the statistical probability of extreme weather including but not limited to rain, hail, snow, fog, frogs, locust etc. is the smallest in a year for that specific region (I know it's never going to be zero).
When to though? It was red-flagged in September last year. June is Le Mans. July and August there's no public holiday weekends and the amateurs who are the core of the race have holidays. Then there's fitting around WEC, IMSA and IGTC/GTWC for the pros.

I've been at Nurburgring in warm, glorious sun in March and cold, foggy rain in July. 25C in October, 8C in June.

It's just part of the event.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 12:52 (Ref:4054838)   #2320
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you suggesting that the organizers have already considered this?!
Old 6 Jun 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4054885)   #2321
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
I'm suggesting having a better shot at holding a full 24h race should perhaps take precedence over the convenience of holding the event on a public holiday.

As to the "when", only weather experts can answer. It's never going to be 100% weatherproof, but they don't hold it during Christmas holidays for a reason.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4054889)   #2322
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect that June through August it’s all much of a muchness.

FWIW I looked up the average number of days of rain is 9-10-9-8 for Jun-Jul-Aug-Sep. not that this is fog, but that’s not as easy to find.

June has a 30% chance on any day. September 27%.

https://en.climate-data.org/europe/g...erburg-711585/

The point here is that it is a reasonable assumption to assume the organizers have considered this as important!

Their best bet is to move it somewhere else.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4054911)   #2323
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's the Eifel, weather can change in 5 minutes.
Old 6 Jun 2021, 14:44 (Ref:4054937)   #2324
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only way to host a N24H without risk of red flag due weather is to create a nordschleife+GP layout replica in sahara desert.
Bmw did it with monza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJb41F0tkxU
Old 6 Jun 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4054944)   #2325
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Their best bet is to move it somewhere else.
They should have thought of this 95 years ago when they built the track in such a silly place .