Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jun 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2220177)   #301
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I thought that was opinions !!!
Old 5 Jun 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2220731)   #302
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I think you have figured out more then many of the Corvette or P&M engineers have done.

Maybe best to not read to much into those motorsprots mag articals and speculations. Rumors are like . . Every one has one.
I trust my own judgement and will go on record and say I'm 99% certain GM will have a P1 and GT2 car within 2 seasons.

Every dot lines up, theres too much 'noise' surrounding this to suggest something isn't in the works.

Just as Audi tried to cover up the diesel motor in the R10, GM are playing a similar game.

Last edited by JAG; 5 Jun 2008 at 19:19.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2221420)   #303
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Jag , maybe the GT2 effort is already here . Some manufacturers use "teams" to put a toe in the water , so if it doesnt go to plan , they can do a pontius Pilot with it ?

Depending on the "new" rules ..... i would think that Gm will also have a LMP1 project .... but that depends on the rules , as GM have always stressed thay they need a formula that is marketable to them , meaning that it should convey some on the production looks .

Just my tupence is all .

Last edited by The Badger; 6 Jun 2008 at 17:17.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2221437)   #304
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I trust my own judgement and will go on record and say I'm 99% certain GM will have a P1 and GT2 car within 2 seasons.

Every dot lines up, theres too much 'noise' surrounding this to suggest something isn't in the works.

Just as Audi tried to cover up the diesel motor in the R10, GM are playing a similar game.
It's common knowledge - admitted privately by key personnel in the program - that the P1 was/is "in the works," had completed substantial wind tunnel work. It's also widely known that the proposal was submitted to the board that deals with motorsports programs and turned down two weeks ago.

Steve Wesolowski said "it isn't dead yet, we'll try again" (paraphrase), so there will be one if the board reconsiders, there won't if it doesn't. None of that looks like a "cover up" to me.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2221481)   #305
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe cover up is the wrong word, more political manouvering, but when it comes out in the wash, I'm sure we'll have a GM P1.

I really cannot understand why they'd run in the ALMS for two seasons with no competition, unless it was very important for the brand, suggesting a P1 program can be pushed through.

There's also the potential to develop and promote GM technology in P1, particularly alternative fuels, the importance of which appears to be accelerating by the day.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2221588)   #306
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
the importance of which appears to be accelerating by the day.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2221652)   #307
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The bear implies that NASCAR/GM politics may spell the end of a Corvette Racing prototype effort.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2221660)   #308
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
The bear implies that NASCAR/GM politics may spell the end of a Corvette Racing prototype effort.
http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/...fumes-444.html

Autoextremist.com said pretty much same thing a month earlier. Quite trivial if GM really thinks LMP with "less road car looks" is worse show of road car technology than a Nascar silhouette. Yeehaw and boogity boogity.

And Bear link for lazy people: http://murphythebear.com/blog/2008/0...-and-salzburg/

Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2226817)   #309
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
In 2009 GT1 engine with displacement of 7 liter are allowed in LMP1. I wonder which manufacturer asked for this

source: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=5797
Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2226822)   #310
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
In 2009 GT1 engine with displacement of 7 liter are allowed in LMP1. I wonder which manufacturer asked for this

A good English translation Please. I can read some french

and yes to be competitive with the diesels a 7 litter NA would be needed
Old 12 Jun 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2226823)   #311
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion

The question that needs to be asked... I wonder did the manufacturer ask for this, or are they trying to lure said manufacturer?
Old 12 Jun 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2226841)   #312
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Le deuxième point concernant l’acception des moteurs GT1 d’une cylindrée de 7 litres (6 litres en 2008). Voil?* qui devrait intéresser un certain constructeur américain…
The second point concerns the acceptance of GT1 engines with displacment of 7 liter (6 liter in 2008). That should interest a certain American manufacturer...
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2226882)   #313
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Woohoo
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2226891)   #314
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this helps with the choice to go ahead with a Corvette P1. Also a customer engine program would be great.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2226893)   #315
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopuma
Also a customer engine program would be great.
Luc Alphand is said to be looking at LMP1.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2226898)   #316
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it is more like their "roadcar-reflection" P1 EVO idea last year using the Vette; they are trying to get Chevy to bite and move up. If reports are to believed though, they have already voted against the move up and were more likely to move down and make a customer GT2 program through P&M.
If they do take the bait though, has Riley made their coupe design exercise yet? I think I remember seeing a CAD mockup of one a while ago. Might save them some money, and think they would want to stay American in the chassis department. Would be nice to see someone in the LMS, maybe Luc Alphand take a GT1 motor out of his cars and have a go building one next year.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2226911)   #317
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If GM wanted to make a GT2 customer program would they have to work with Riley since the own (not sure if that is the correct terminology) homologation of the C6 Vette? Would GM just try to buy it off Riley so they can make it with P&M? Would Riley even sell the design? From my understanding of the rules you can only homologate a car once, so Riley and P&M both cant homologate the C6 Vette, although I could be wrong.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2226912)   #318
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopuma
If GM wanted to make a GT2 customer program would they have to work with Riley since the own (not sure if that is the correct terminology) homologation of the C6 Vette? Would GM just try to buy it off Riley so they can make it with P&M? Would Riley even sell the design? From my understanding of the rules you can only homologate a car once, so Riley and P&M both cant homologate the C6 Vette, although I could be wrong.
Hmm, I seem to remember that the Wieth(sp?)-Ferrari 550 that raced in FIA-GT a long time ago was not Prodrive-built.
Furthermore there has been the Markland-built GT2-Corvette in LMS last year.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2226959)   #319
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Hmm, I seem to remember that the Wieth(sp?)-Ferrari 550 that raced in FIA-GT a long time ago was not Prodrive-built.
Furthermore there has been the Markland-built GT2-Corvette in LMS last year.
550s from at least 3 different sources raced in FIA GT races- the original cars built by Italtecnica, the successful Prodrive cars, and the German Wieth car. The Rafanelli car that appeared in the ALMS was one of the Italtechnica cars, so there's no reason why different versions of the same car can't be allowed from different builders.

Italtechnica: http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/...s/P000Fade.jpg

Prodrive: http://www.endurancesportscar.com/al...ro550petit.jpg

Wieth: http://www.gt-eins.de/Berichte2004/sonstige/04wieth.jpg

Last edited by KA; 12 Jun 2008 at 14:36.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2227000)   #320
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
550s from at least 3 different sources raced in FIA GT races- the original cars built by Italtecnica, the successful Prodrive cars, and the German Wieth car. The Rafanelli car that appeared in the ALMS was one of the Italtechnica cars, so there's no reason why different versions of the same car can't be allowed from different builders.
as long as the following cars are built to the first car that was homolgated specs
Old 13 Jun 2008, 01:39 (Ref:2227444)   #321
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very interesting (though too short) article in today's (June 12,2008) USA Today Newspaper about Corvette Racing and Le Mans. The gist of the article is that Corvette has tripled their sales in Europe since they started racing at the 24 hours of Le Mans in 2000. I guess that's why they race all year without competition in ALMS. My guess is that somehow, someway (LMP1, GT1 GT2?), we will see Corvette Racing at Le Mans next year. It's just good for business.

DK
Old 13 Jun 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2227939)   #322
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Very interesting (though too short) article in today's (June 12,2008) USA Today Newspaper about Corvette Racing and Le Mans. The gist of the article is that Corvette has tripled their sales in Europe since they started racing at the 24 hours of Le Mans in 2000. I guess that's why they race all year without competition in ALMS. My guess is that somehow, someway (LMP1, GT1 GT2?), we will see Corvette Racing at Le Mans next year. It's just good for business.

DK
Plus it is a GREAT sports car and a GREAT PRICE . . .

European and NON US sales are less then 10% off all sales. Corvette Plant builds 33-34000 some cars per year and sells everyone of them.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 13 Jun 2008 at 17:20.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2228281)   #323
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
For next season I hope 1 or 2 teams will put the Katech Corvette engine in a Lola coupe.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2252001)   #324
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone getting any insider info about Corvette Racing since the big GM reorg news of yesterday?

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 16 Jul 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2252003)   #325
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
No but I did get to drive the New ZR1 on VIR a few weeks ago. WOW is all I can say.