Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2803788)   #1
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
360MRC 24hrs Race Proposition

360MRC have already been looking at a plan for resurrecting the Willhire (or something similar but for for 'period cars') There's no point in trying to compete with Britcar but we think there could be a place for something 'in between' that and the 24hour 2CV race. Since we're 'not for profit', we think that we can offer a very competitive package .... IF enough people will commit to it for 2012.
Preliminary investigations lead us to believe that, like the Willhire used to be, it's likely to be a slightly wider field than the 360 Six Hours (which will continue!) and is likely to include roadsports type cars as well as saloons and GT's.
We didn't want to reveal the plan at present but the possibility of another organiser wanting to do the same thing has forced our hand.
I guess it will all come down to cost and the confidence of potential competitors in the organisers to put on a good event.
Watch this space......as they say!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2803826)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Give us a break John, some of us are still trying to get our heads round making a car last 6 hours

How about splitting the difference- 15 hours?
Old 13 Dec 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2803855)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
360MRC have already been looking at a plan for resurrecting the Willhire (or something similar but for for 'period cars') There's no point in trying to compete with Britcar but we think there could be a place for something 'in between' that and the 24hour 2CV race. Since we're 'not for profit', we think that we can offer a very competitive package .... IF enough people will commit to it for 2012.
Preliminary investigations lead us to believe that, like the Willhire used to be, it's likely to be a slightly wider field than the 360 Six Hours (which will continue!) and is likely to include roadsports type cars as well as saloons and GT's.
We didn't want to reveal the plan at present but the possibility of another organiser wanting to do the same thing has forced our hand.
I guess it will all come down to cost and the confidence of potential competitors in the organisers to put on a good event.
woohoo yes please, I'm up for that
Old 13 Dec 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2804089)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting.

How about allowing sports cars? Could be awesome!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2804105)   #5
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Interesting.

Thanks for your interest and comment Roger. Given commercial viability, getting the eligibility and class structute right and thus the 'allowable' cars could be the biggest challenge. Get that wrong and there's always the danger of driving away more competitors than you attract and everybody will give advice (as I've said before on here) that just happens to favour the cars that they want/intend to race.
Sports cars are certainly on the agenda (as they were at the Willhire in period) but we have to be mindful of performance differentials both for safety and to make a good, competitive race. I'm sure we'll not be short of advice!
As I said peviously, watch this space
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:50 (Ref:2804110)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Interesting.

covers a wide spectrum - are you thinking MGB or T70
Old 14 Dec 2010, 00:24 (Ref:2804127)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports racers.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2804224)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sports racers.
Roger, please stop Simon from logging in under your name.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2804226)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Roger, please stop Simon from logging in under your name.
I can picture the Merlyn with a bank of Super Oscars across the front.......
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2805102)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Anyway, whose up for this 24 hour based on the Wilhire regs?
So are you saying that will be prod saloons? Where am I going to be able to hire a Mk2 Capri (for example) to use as spares donor during the race

And will there be an all night beer tent?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2805104)   #11
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So are you saying that will be prod saloons? Where am I going to be able to hire a Mk2 Capri (for example) to use as spares donor during the race

And will there be an all night beer tent?

Mike...We will put the race on....YOU will provide the Beer tent!!! (Wine for me please)
Old 16 Dec 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2805288)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So are you saying that will be prod saloons?
It would be good if JT would be kind enough to split off the appropriate posts on this thread (he has nothing better to do! ) under a seperate thread "The Willhire Revived?"

We need to debate Prod Saloons/Modified Saloons/Road Sports/GT cars/Sports Racers (just to please Simon ) for a 24 hour race. We need 40 ish cars to make it viable. ....... unless you're all bored with the idea already?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:19 (Ref:2805480)   #13
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Mike initially I thiought it would be but when I looked at the suggested list twin cam sports racers were conspicious by their absence...
I think this is for "posh" World Sports Cars....
Johngee to be honest if I was goingto do a 24 hour race I would do it in a modern car or possibly an old 911...
I think for the 24 Hour we would revisit the age groups. We could still very much have older cars and we have been looking at the idea of over a certain age being able to "tag" in some form of relay in respect of the 24 hours purely and simply some of those cars would not make 24 hours but why should they not be able to race?. Its quite a tricky one, but say you had several 1950's E types (just an example) what you could have is a team of them also compete in this 24 hour. a race within a race if you like ...but a thought....now before you all go off on one , I am only suggesting things...and making things work on paper (or in a thread) is easy compared to the real world.

In respect of this 24 hour, we would look at possibly coming in as far as the early to mid 90's, five bands of age and then split again (not saying at this point how) but what we would be keen to explore is the idea of keeping it as clubbie as possible but NOT putting so many limitations on it that people think "I wont bother" the most important thing is that the CUSTOMER has fun, enjoys the event and thinks "Christ I gotta do that again"...personally, I think we (360) can deliver that....in fact I know we can cause we already have and that was with the very limited grid that we first had.

JT You can split it or I will open a thread (might be better) and lets reallly wet some appetites
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2805481)   #14
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Does the idea of a Wilhire type 24 hour race excite you?

Ok this is born out of the other thread (here) but we have been in discussions and there has been lots of talk ...but ...a 24 hour race, for historic PRODUCTION TYPE Cars yet to be determined...based on the old Wilhire in 2012.

We can do it...you know we can, but would YOU the customer enter?

We have been down this route before, you know we have and somehow 360 was born!, but, what about taking 360 to the next level and putting on a 24 hour race....what say you all

Your thoughts peeps?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2805485)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you had a typo and meant 60's E Type!

Relay is neatly done by Birkett and I think it would be a mistake to try and mirror it. A good friend of mine won a 24 hour race at Dijon (I think) a few years ago in his Cobra so historics can last 24 hours.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2805486)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds fantastic
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2805487)   #17
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
I think you had a typo and meant 60's E Type!

Relay is neatly done by Birkett and I think it would be a mistake to try and mirror it. A good friend of mine won a 24 hour race at Dijon (I think) a few years ago in his Cobra so historics can last 24 hours.

You are right, it should have been 60's....and I agree re the relay ....as I said...its just ideas floating around my head...Im the creative side of 360, JohnGee brings me back down to earth occassionally with "we cant do that" lol ...I then spend 24 hours debating why we should do it....and then say "you may have a point! "

but thats how it works!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2805488)   #18
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Sounds fantastic
Glad you like it.....cause I kinda had you pencilled in for the Clerking team!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:37 (Ref:2805489)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Especially with a bit of low stressed Detroit iron pushing it along! I remember the original Le Mans entry GT40's of Paul Hawkins in fact I actually drove it into his workshop off the trailer (an open trailer behind a truck back then!) and the thing was a mild mannered pussycat that ticked over like a road car.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2805490)   #20
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Especially with a bit of low stressed Detroit iron pushing it along! I remember the original Le Mans entry GT40's of Paul Hawkins in fact I actually drove it into his workshop off the trailer (an open trailer behind a truck back then!) and the thing was a mild mannered pussycat that ticked over like a road car.

Start preparing the car Al
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2805491)   #21
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would be good if JT would be kind enough to split off the appropriate posts on this thread (he has nothing better to do! ) under a seperate thread "The Willhire Revived?"

We need to debate Prod Saloons/Modified Saloons/Road Sports/GT cars/Sports Racers (just to please Simon ) for a 24 hour race. We need 40 ish cars to make it viable. ....... unless you're all bored with the idea already?
Well, John having been involved in virtually all the Willhire's over the years from a trackside aspect my interest in such an event will never diminish. Especially if held at the true home of the Willhire.

Always used to be a superb weekend - in addition one of the best bits was going round the paddock seeing all the hire cars and spectators cars on axle stands with various, rather important components missing and seeing rather worried spectators wondering if they would get home afterwards!!

Terry
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2805494)   #22
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Glad you like it.....cause I kinda had you pencilled in for the Clerking team!
Would love to! You'd have to try hard to keep me away from an endurance race! Could I request sunshine though so it feels a little like LM? Although actually, torrential rain would be more like it for the last few years
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2805495)   #23
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Would love to! You'd have to try hard to keep me away from an endurance race! Could I request sunshine though so it feels a little like LM? Although actually, torrential rain would be more like it for the last few years
Ohhh I would hope we would have some sunshine.....I've PM'd ya
Old 17 Dec 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2805501)   #24
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed Simon but the Birkett isn't 24 hours !!!

Claire has quite rightly pointed out that 'recreating' the Willhire doessn't mean a 'time warp retro' version. There's little doubt that a well prepared period car, driven with mechanical sympathy could last 24 hours but I think this race would be aligned to more contemporary cars (not to be quoted but BMW's, Scoobys, Evo's, Murano's, Golf VR's and perhaps MGTF's, MX5's etc etc)

Perhaps a 2 tier approach with period cars on a relay basis in one class and contemporary cars racing lights to flag in another class could be an idea?

We need to fill the grid to make it viable - you tell us what works for you.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2805502)   #25
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ohhh I would hope we would have some sunshine.....I've PM'd ya
Just tell me the dates and I have a word with a certain VIP!!! (based on past annual performance, as our 3hr friends will testify!!!)

Although part of it may be a bit more difficult!!

Terry

Last edited by Terry Scannell; 17 Dec 2010 at 10:19.