Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 May 2003, 19:51 (Ref:590272)   #1
rigbyed
Rookie

rigbyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coach trips to Le Mans

I want to go down to Le mans this year, for the first time ever! I've decided that the only way I can get down is by coach. Am I to late? Which company is the best to go with?
Old 5 May 2003, 21:05 (Ref:590345)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You've left it pretty late.

Try Page & Moy and Motor Racing International (MRI). I remember getting a late booking with MRI back in 1998.
Old 5 May 2003, 21:39 (Ref:590384)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will again be travling with MRI, will worth it IMO......
Old 6 May 2003, 09:27 (Ref:590703)   #4
rigbyed
Rookie

Thanks, but what is IMO rdjones ? Aysedasi I've been on your website- thats how i found 10 tenths! It was really helpful but would you recommend Page and Moy?
Old 6 May 2003, 09:54 (Ref:590731)   #5
rigbyed
Rookie

Also, do MRI have a website?
Old 6 May 2003, 10:43 (Ref:590766)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by rigbyed
Thanks, but what is IMO rdjones ? Aysedasi I've been on your website- thats how i found 10 tenths! It was really helpful but would you recommend Page and Moy?
To be honest, rigbyed, I've never travelled with Page & Moy. So I can't really recommend them. I have, however, travelled three times with MRI ('92, '93 and '98) and apart from having a duff tour guide and inexperienced coach driver in '98, I would certainly recommend them (as would rdjones!). By the way, IMO means "in my opinion".....

MRI do not have a web site, unfortunately (if they had, I would have been looking for a spot of sponsorship from them - goodness knows they get enough mentions on my site!). They can be contacted at:-

21 Market Street, Sandwich, Kent, CT13 9DA

but you'll need to phone them and check on availability of tour places:-

01304 612424

Fax 01304 615490

Last edited by Aysedasi; 6 May 2003 at 10:43.
Old 6 May 2003, 10:43 (Ref:590767)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I've gone the last 2 years (and this year is booked) with Page and Moy on their fast and cheap option. All very efficient, slight problem last year with grotty coach, (sub-contracted, got small refund, assured won't happen again). They have so far always been ahead of their time schedule, (so earlier to LM and home again) and have been fine. Don't expect great comfort (3 days on a coach is never going to be good...) and no briefings once at the circuit like MRI. But they are what they say, fast and cheap!
Old 6 May 2003, 10:48 (Ref:590774)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
.....and no briefings once at the circuit like MRI.

Hmmm. We missed our briefing in '93 because the driver of our coach spent so long touring around trying to find a gas station.....

....and again in '98 because neither the driver or the guide knew the way into Le Mans. We arrived about 1.15 p.m. instead of 11.30 a.m.!

That said, if I didn't have a trip organised, I would still go with MRI. Their "pick-up" coach trip is far more convenient for me as it has always stopped in Southampton. Saves having to travel to London or somwehere else first.
Old 6 May 2003, 11:28 (Ref:590824)   #9
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
A good thing about Page and Moy is that they have got to LM for 10am each year so I have seen the support race. The classic in 01 was great and fingers crossed we make it again for this year's classic.
Old 6 May 2003, 12:23 (Ref:590882)   #10
jpchenet
Rookie

jpchenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rigbyed, when are you planning on travelling down and back etc. Put your ideal plans up on the forum. There's always a chance you could join someone elses group. We have a couple of spare seats in cars at present leaving Basingstoke, Hampshire on Wednesday night. Also, a light aircraft leaving White Waltham near Maidenhead on Friday morning. All returning on Monday. Makes common sense to fill the vehicles as the crossings/camping is shared equally.

Aysedasi, MRI do have a website, it's http://www.motorracinginternational.uk.com/. Go get some sponsorship ;-)
Old 6 May 2003, 14:56 (Ref:591074)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Cheers jpchenet! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the link. Good to say "Hello" to another 'ampshire 'og!
Old 6 May 2003, 14:58 (Ref:591077)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I see they don't stop at Southampton anymore anyway...... - I'd have to go to Portsmouth
Old 6 May 2003, 20:29 (Ref:591517)   #13
jpchenet
Rookie

When are you going over Aysedasi?? We're on the Wednesday night crossing from Portsmouth to Caen. Hopefully meet you over here or over there at some time for a beer??
Old 6 May 2003, 21:04 (Ref:591563)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
We're going Portsmouth to Le Havre I believe (!), on the Fast Cat (or whatever its called) on Thursday. A bit vague I'm afraid, but I don't do the organising! I don't get up to B'Stoke very often, so unless you're in Southampton, we'll have to have that beer at La Sarthe!
Old 6 May 2003, 21:58 (Ref:591653)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No MRI are very good, I was at the track for about 7.30 on the Saturday last year and was back in Leeds, my nearest pick up point by 9.00am on the Monday, lets hope it is the same story this year, in fact if it then they can drop me off at work, as we will be passing the door at about 8am
Old 7 May 2003, 07:52 (Ref:592011)   #16
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Would you really be that welcome at work? 3 nights sleeping on a coach, a fine layer of dust stuck to you, and after all that beer and LM food - breath that could probably fell a rhino! And hopefully this year a drunk coachload of nutters rejoicing after the Bentley 1-2.
Old 7 May 2003, 08:06 (Ref:592019)   #17
rigbyed
Rookie

Thanks everyone, I have yet to book but I am going to go from Basingstoke with MRI. See you there!

Quote from the MRI website:
"Nationwide Departures
Fast and Economical
Friday June 13 Our fleet of luxury coaches will leave during the day"

Economical and luxury coaches, do they existed? :confused:
Old 7 May 2003, 08:32 (Ref:592043)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by rigbyed
Thanks everyone, I have yet to book but I am going to go from Basingstoke with MRI. See you there!

Quote from the MRI website:
"Nationwide Departures
Fast and Economical
Friday June 13 Our fleet of luxury coaches will leave during the day"

Economical and luxury coaches, do they existed? :confused:
Well the one we had last year was............
Old 7 May 2003, 16:00 (Ref:592512)   #19
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's pot luck really. The coaches I had the first two years I went weren't quite as "luxury" as they could have been, but last years one was pretty good. Have to see what happens this year.BTW Rigbyed, don't go from 'Stoke, go from Reading, then you can have the pleasure(?) of my company!!!!
Old 7 May 2003, 16:12 (Ref:592524)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I hope (and trust) you all enjoy the trip anyway - and I'll see you on that hallowed ground in just a few weeks time......
Old 7 May 2003, 16:33 (Ref:592547)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Well, I hope (and trust) you all enjoy the trip anyway - and I'll see you on that hallowed ground in just a few weeks time......
You certainly will

and if anyone is leaving from the North-east, Yorkshire or Peterbrough then you joining myself..........
Old 8 May 2003, 21:47 (Ref:594016)   #22
the_fury
Rookie

the_fury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and my mates are going down to Dover for early evening, finding a pub, and picking up the (Page & Moy) coach up at midnight – hopefully all that beer will help us to sleep right through to morning!
Old 9 May 2003, 07:04 (Ref:594209)   #23
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by jpchenet
When are you going over Aysedasi?? We're on the Wednesday night crossing from Portsmouth to Caen. Hopefully meet you over here or over there at some time for a beer??
We are on that ferry. In my opinion this is the best route to Lemans if a little expensive. Look out for a few Austin Healey's and it may be us.
Old 9 May 2003, 07:13 (Ref:594217)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've always liked the Portsmouth/Caen route for some reason, but, as I don't organise our trips, I take whatever the Chief Tourist comes up with - as long as he gets us there, I'm happy!
Old 12 May 2003, 07:55 (Ref:596641)   #25
jpchenet
Rookie

We'll see you on there then Mal. We normally hit the pub at the docks for about 8.30.