Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Mar 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1558518)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just sent off my entry form for Donington. 'fraid it'll be in the Capri, can't afford to run the Bentley Mulsanne Turbo
Old 23 Mar 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1558520)   #52
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well us Dagenham boys should stick together - mine went off beginning of the week! Is anyone doing the K Club race on the 23rd?
Old 24 Mar 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1559684)   #53
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm still trying to earn the entry fee

should make it all being well
Old 24 Mar 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1559685)   #54
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
seems the K Club 23 April race is not happening - Zef sounds like you need to get some cars in your prep shop - but only after you have done mine!!
Old 3 Apr 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1569483)   #55
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to but in on a fairly interesting debate.

Perhaps a car for all season would be a Porsche 911 of some kind. Probably one of the most all round cars. Not sure about saloons but sportscars then the various challenges and in winter of course you could take it rallying.

Then again maybe a good Jag Mk II, C D or E, or even an XJS. God only knows how much time it would take to prepare to race one every 7 days, never mind the cost, but an easy way of spending all those lottery pounds.

Without the lottery cash, perhaps a mini. again assorted challenges, historic saloons and rally the winter away.

Perhaps that's my garage then a mini a 911 and a Jag. Only need 6 lucky numbers now.

BTW are Rolls Royce allowed to race? I think that the company never applied for FIA approval. Probably fearing that some 60's popstar would race one rather than drive into a swimming pool in one
Old 4 Apr 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1569817)   #56
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to run a Firenza - but only if the final Old Nail spec was acceptable (2.6 twin cam with tecallemit Jackson FI)

I don't think Baby Bertha would be eligible for classic thunder though sadly
Old 4 Apr 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1569919)   #57
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
SL

I agree a 911 and minis are most versatile

There are plenty of cars with FiA papers that wheren't homologated . . . . MArcos 1800 GT anyone ?
Old 9 Apr 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1574533)   #58
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rolls Royce Race Tender

I have a picture taken at Cadwell Park of Chris Meek's Rolls Royce Race tender. He used to stack his racing wheels and tyres on the back seat! gerry.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1574597)   #59
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor
I have a picture taken at Cadwell Park of Chris Meek's Rolls Royce Race tender. He used to stack his racing wheels and tyres on the back seat! gerry.
Are you going to let us see it Gerry?
Old 9 Apr 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1574840)   #60
simon drabble
Veteran

The Rolls race tender I knew of was Malcom Klube
Old 10 Apr 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1575240)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's an Aston DB4GT racer who uses a Bentley to tow.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1577611)   #62
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the late Terry Cohn used to use an Alfa 8C2900B as a tow car?

Surely the most exotic tow car ever?

Regards,

James W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
There's an Aston DB4GT racer who uses a Bentley to tow.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1577943)   #63
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
You'd actually race a GK or Silver Cloud? Interesting choices!
The GK because it's easy and cheap to tune Chevy V8 plant, and a fairly good chassis under it.

OK there were only 99 ever built, and around 70 survive, so for money no object rarity value - it has to be done.

The Silver Cloud - fabulous. Just turn out in style. Nomex triple layer Tux with bow tie..

With money being the object - I very very nearly purchased a Borgward Isabella, and I know a man who knows all about those. A certain "crazy Norwegian Dutchman from England who used to race strange looking Opels with a Vauxhall badge on them". Goes by the name of Blydenstein...

I missed the purchase by a few days. Darnit.

I have considered an Alvis TE, or TF...

Rob.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1578283)   #64
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Bentley Mulsanne (and maybe Turbo) has turned out to race for the last two years at the annual Bentley Drivers' Club Silverstone meet in August. Last year, the car looked more serious and won a race.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1578300)   #65
simon drabble
Veteran

Mulsanne - I have a great friend who is a retired racing peer who drives his like a complete hooligan proving that deep down all Mulsanne owners are pikeys!!!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1578313)   #66
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have a chap that comes into the shop who has a Bentley Mulsanne Turbo that looks bog standard (immaculate) from the outside but he has had the engine fully flogged, special cam, flowed heads etc etc and recons it produces around 600bhp plus. He keeps threatening to give me a ride in it but I don't make a good passenger so have thus far wimped out!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1578524)   #67
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we're being sensible, then a historic Formula Ford, as Ian says, is the sensible single-seater option. I rather like Dave Lowe's Lotus 69.

If you want a roof, you do have more options, most of which have been discussed already. I always thought a Lotus Cortina would be a good choice, but I'm sure you'd be eligible for more races in a big Camaro.

Now, lets not be sensible. We're lottery winners (and for this list we may have to pool resources) for goodness sake! I should add that for most of these choices I would probably want to find someone decent to drive them, so they get used properly, rather than racing them myself!

Pre-War single-seater: Mercedes-Benz W125
Pre-War Sportscar: Pretty much any Alfa 8C 2900 or Delage
Pre-’60 GP Car: tough one this, but I rather like the Scarab
Pre-’60 Sportscars: Aston Martin DBR1/300 (no question)
Pre-’66 Saloons: Alfa GTA or Jaguar Mk.II
Pre-’66 GTs: Aston Martin Project 212 (so I could give it to Martin Brundle for the Goodwood Revival meeting!)
Pre-’74 Le Mans Cars (Masters): Porsche 917. Would be nice to have a Langheck in captivity....
’70s Saloons: BMW CSL, though I'd have nothing against a Cologne Capri!
Group C: Sauber C11 or Jaguar XJR-12, unless I could persuade the organisers to allow an XJR-14 in.
TGP: Probably should pick a Williams or a Brabham, but would be tempted by the 312T3 Ferrari.

I think ten categories are enough for now!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1578799)   #68
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A friend of a friend has just bought a Porche 917 LeMans car and has asked him to drive it when its ready (lucky sod!). I did a littly digital display over cover on contour cut printed vinyl for the onboard computer for them. (a freebie, I'm hoping for a drive, yeah right)
Old 13 Apr 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1580521)   #69
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amazing! I hope your friend is a very good driver!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1580650)   #70
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
He is, the best. Runner up in the British Super Karts years ago, Super Rods short circuit champion, outright Brands Clubmans record holder, ModProds champion and thoughly quick pedeller of a fabulous SDI Rover.

Maybe now after I have bulled him up a bit maybe he will chat his mate up and let me have a go (no chance!)

Last edited by Al Weyman; 13 Apr 2006 at 19:46.