A good man !
RIP
Old 13 Sep 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3135510)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I dont think there really has been a more important man involved in F1 these past decades. A gentleman and a true legend.
Yep, exactly so. RIP Sid.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3135538)   #53
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Prof. A man who did so much to help others stay safe.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3135584)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildtech View Post
What odds on the Prof and Ayrton doing a spot of fishing sometime soon.

I confess I was thinking of that as soon as I read the news.

For anyone who's not yet done so, I heartily recommend a read of his book, 'Life at the Limit'.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3135587)   #55
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I confess I was thinking of that as soon as I read the news.

For anyone who's not yet done so, I heartily recommend a read of his book, 'Life at the Limit'.
Thought the same... and honestly, I think it will happen soon.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3135611)   #56
douglasjames671
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
douglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddouglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prior to reading his book, I knew "of" him, but after many hours completely engrossed in his written word, I felt like I actually "knew" him.
People like Prof Watkins are few . . . some of us may go so far as to call them angels . . . I know I would.
Rest In Peace Sid . . . you have healed many, and touched the hearts of many more.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3135636)   #57
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Prof... you worked so hard to make motorsport safe for all involved... Drivers, Teams, Marshals, Spectators, and any officials in any capacity!

I hope there is a fitting tribute put on at some very important point during the Singapore GP.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3135696)   #58
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.fiainstitute.com/news/Pag...999999994.aspx

Far better words than any I could find.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3135774)   #59
douglasjames671
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
douglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddouglasjames671 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ Garcon . . . I was weeping like a child at the end of that interview, what a wonderful, awe inspiring man. Thank you for posting the link
Old 14 Sep 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3135803)   #60
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I beseech anybody who hasn't yet read it to find a copy of Prof's book, "Life at the Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One."

Not only is it a rivetting story of his time in F1, with several laugh out loud anecdotes (most of which seem to involve 'Our Nige'... ), it is a personal and ultimately heartbreaking reflection on his close relationship with Ayrton Senna, and by definition an authoritative account of the improvement in F1 medical safety under his tenure.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3135811)   #61
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasjames671 View Post
@ Garcon . . . I was weeping like a child at the end of that interview, what a wonderful, awe inspiring man. Thank you for posting the link
Me too. I'm glad you appreciated it.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3135833)   #62
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we're all in agreement on this, which is a change, and speaks volumes for the respect we all had for the Prof. He had a good innings, but it is still a sad loss. RIP Sid.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3135851)   #63
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
http://www.fiainstitute.com/news/Pag...999999994.aspx

Far better words than any I could find.
Quote:
"Bernie said 'I know what you've been doing for the British Grand Prix – would you come and try to do it everywhere for Formula One?' And then he said, 'I suppose you want to be paid? How about $35,000 a year to do the 16 races?' So I said, 'Oh that would be marvellous!' [At the time Prof was taking home £400 a month as a consultant.] But he [Bernie] said, 'You pay for your airfares, hotels, rental cars and all incidental expenses.' "Then when I did my tax at the end of the year my accountant said, 'Why are you doing all this for Formula One?' I said, 'Well, they're paying me a lot of money' and he said, 'No they're not. You've actually made a loss on the travel!'"
Old Bernie...
Old 14 Sep 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3135854)   #64
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jackie Stewart has suggested some sort of permanent memorial to the Prof, which sounds like a splendid idea.

Any suggestions? A statue? But where? An award in his honour? A research grant?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102505
Old 14 Sep 2012, 13:52 (Ref:3135913)   #65
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Jackie Stewart has suggested some sort of permanent memorial to the Prof, which sounds like a splendid idea.

Any suggestions? A statue? But where? An award in his honour? A research grant?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102505
What a nice idea !
Old 14 Sep 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3135930)   #66
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I think the most fitting tribute would be an FIA funded research grant to continue his work either directly related to medical safety in motorsport or neurological trauma in general.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3135952)   #67
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's not be sad, but glad, for Prof.Sid and all he did for motorsport.
Oh, dear that reads like terrible verse, but let it stand.

On a memorial. Name the regular FIA Motor Sport Safety Seminars for him, and offer a regular prize for the best research paper read at each one.

John
Old 15 Sep 2012, 01:00 (Ref:3136136)   #68
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I beseech anybody who hasn't yet read it to find a copy of Prof's book, "Life at the Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One."

Not only is it a rivetting story of his time in F1, with several laugh out loud anecdotes (most of which seem to involve 'Our Nige'... ), it is a personal and ultimately heartbreaking reflection on his close relationship with Ayrton Senna, and by definition an authoritative account of the improvement in F1 medical safety under his tenure.
Thanks for posting garcon - much appreciated.

It would appear that Bernies' influence isn't entirely negative.

"Bernie said to him: 'Now, I'm going to go down and stand in front of the cars while you settle this problem with Prof Watkins. And if it's settled, he's going to lean out and put his thumb up – and if it isn't settled, he's going to put his thumb down.' Hushke said to him: 'Mr Ecclestone, what am I going to do with 80,000 Germans in the Motordrome?' Bernie turned round and said: 'They can go **** themselves.' Well, the problem was settled immediately.
"Once word spread that this was how tough Bernie was going to be about medical safety, the dominos started to fall and everybody started to give in. He's absolutely marvellous, old Bernie, absolutely wonderful, always a great realist. Without him, nothing would have happened. At least, not in my time. He was always so good and so tough."
By 1982, circuits had proper medical centres; a helicopter on standby for the entire race weekend, and a top hospital always on-call to provide further treatment once a driver had been stabilised."

The best quote I can remember from Sid was something to the effect of; "I held up fingers for the driver to count, and when he was right I began to worry because he couldn't normally be expected to get it right!"

Last edited by wnut; 15 Sep 2012 at 01:05. Reason: fg
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3136202)   #69
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It would appear that Bernies' influence isn't entirely negative.
That is a lesson many current F1 fans could learn by reading Prof's book.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3136279)   #70
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
That is a lesson many current F1 fans could learn by reading Prof's book.
Indeed.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3136430)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's a nice piece on the IndyCar website.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2012/09-...rsports-safety
Old 17 Sep 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3137459)   #72
Barry P
Rookie

England
Seaford, East Sussex
Barry P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
RIP Prof... you worked so hard to make motorsport safe for all involved... Drivers, Teams, Marshals, Spectators, and any officials in any capacity!

I hope there is a fitting tribute put on at some very important point during the Singapore GP.
A very moving tribute was made at the Goodwood Revival yesterday. I know it is not an F1 event, but many people there who knew Sid including the Cannon that led the tribute, he was close to tears as many of the marshals (and I'm sure other) were.

Last edited by Barry P; 17 Sep 2012 at 21:03. Reason: update in brackets
Old 24 Sep 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3140619)   #73
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Sid Watkins was nothing short of instrumental in the development of Formula 1. He was one of the kindest figures the sport has ever seen, and to lose him is a great tragedy. Formula 1 will not be the same without him. He will be sorely missed.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3143133)   #74
msd_1
Rookie

United Kingdom
South East
msd_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Thank you, Have just ordered a copy.

It has been amazing to see so many marshal's reporting to the line at numerous racing events for a moments silence in rememberence of the Prof.

Brings tears to the eye!