Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Oct 2001, 08:02 (Ref:159969)   #1
WANHER
Racer

Belgium
belgium
WANHER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best female driver through the ages

E Junek
Helle Nice
G Stewart
K Petre
L Lombardi
MC Beaumont
M Mouton ...
Old 13 Oct 2001, 10:20 (Ref:159995)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Desire Wilson? She won a non-championship GP back in around 1980. And of the current crop of the drivers, Danika Patrick and Sarah Kavangah have shown considerable skill, while Katja Poensgen has proved capable in the 250cc bikes.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 10:29 (Ref:160007)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Janet Guthrie was so good she got a start at Bathurst... he heh...
Old 13 Oct 2001, 10:35 (Ref:160014)   #4
WANHER
Racer

Belgium
belgium
This list is not exhaustive
G Thirion
Y Simon
C Beckers
Old 13 Oct 2001, 14:59 (Ref:160112)   #5
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Denise McCluggage (Sports Cars)
Janet Guthrie (Indy Racing & NASCAR)
Shawna Robinson (NASCAR)
Angele Seeling or is it Savois now? (NHRA bike drag racing)
Sara Fisher (IRL)

Last edited by Joe Fan; 13 Oct 2001 at 15:03.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 15:59 (Ref:160126)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ellen Lohr - she finished second in the Monaco F3 race in 1991 or thereabouts - got to be pretty quick considering some of the F3 drivers of that era.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 20:51 (Ref:160220)   #7
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An unhappy coincidence, this:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,...354529,00.html

Old 14 Oct 2001, 21:33 (Ref:160646)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Michelle Mouton, without any doubt - she was better than her male peers. She should have won the World Rally Championship, but for a minor failure in her Audi. I believe that the male drivers poked fun at her before her run at Pikes Peak, and when she thrashed them all going up the mountain, she challenged them by saying: "If you guys had the balls, you'd race me going down". The "he men" never came forward. Hehehehe!!

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 14 Oct 2001 at 21:36.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 10:24 (Ref:160798)   #9
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No-one seems to have mentioned Pat Moss, Rosemary Smith or Jutte Kleinschmidt yet
Old 15 Oct 2001, 11:09 (Ref:160810)   #10
WANHER
Racer

Belgium
belgium
By the way what's happened to G Thirion ?
Old 15 Oct 2001, 11:34 (Ref:160824)   #11
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also Claudia Hurtgen, Lilian Bryner, Milka Duno, Maria-Teresa de Filippis.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 09:09 (Ref:161304)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Funnily enough I was about to add Pat Moss and then came across your post!

Michelle Mouton still drives her Audi at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and is awsome to watch. I've never been a great rally fan but would have loved to have seen Michelle at full throttle!

Stephen.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 09:29 (Ref:161312)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Funnily enough I was about to add Pat Moss and then came across your post!

Michelle Mouton still drives her Audi at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and is awsome to watch. I've never been a great rally fan but would have loved to have seen Michelle at full throttle!

Stephen.
You can do this by contacting any known friend who subscribes to MotorSport and who has the April 2001 edition, which came with a video of the Auto Union Years featuring the great drivers like Bernd Rosemeyer racing these Porsche V16 GP cars. After that , there is a fantastic video of Michelle at full bore in the Audi Quattro; it is awsome. I thought of Pat Moss and was going to name her, but she never dominated Rallying like Michelle - because Michelle was better than the men competing at the time. And she is one beautiful sexy girl. I swear to God, she is really foxy!!
Old 16 Oct 2001, 10:06 (Ref:161339)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, she is beautiful and I have been lucky enough to get close to her to see for myself. That's the beauty of the Festival of Speed, you get to see your heros/heroines close up.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 22:41 (Ref:161717)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Did you get a photo? And what perfume was she wearing?
Old 16 Oct 2001, 23:16 (Ref:161732)   #16
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
And what perfume was she wearing?
Castrol 'R'!!!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 09:34 (Ref:161857)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I wasn't THAT close!

Unfortunately as marshals we are not allowed to take photographs while on duty. Bit of a bummer I know.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 09:49 (Ref:161865)   #18
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best Female Driver

Well I do agree with Danica Patrick and Sara Fisher being two of the current talented few, but Sarah Kavanagh??? What has she done? I remember watching her race at Kirkistown, Northern Ireland a few years ago. She was racing Formula Opel (Europa) and she was lapped more than once. Nobody gets lapped at Kirkistown. She had two crappy races in Formula Nippon in Japan and was never seen in the series again. What has she done in BOSS??? nothing!!! Wake up and smell the coffee, all Sarah Kavanagh has, is a good publicity team.

Now, Rosemarie Smith, she was a good pilot. and Michelle Mouton?? I've only seen the videos. Brilliant.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 10:53 (Ref:161889)   #19
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of which :

15/10/01

Recent rumours suggest that 28-year-old Kavanagh has made it on to Eddie Jordan’s 2002 short-list, and that the Irishwoman could be signed as the team’s second tester in the not to distant future.

Kavanagh has been racing in the European Boss Formula this season, behind the wheel of a Jordan 193, and before that competed in Formula Ford, Formula Opel, Formula Nippon, and the British F2 series.

Sarah has strong sponsorship backing, and should the rumours prove to be true, would become the first woman to be directly involved in Formula One in a driving capacity for a number of years.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 11:29 (Ref:161899)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Maybe Eddie needs the cash and the publicity?
Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:06 (Ref:161969)   #21
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, shes been on the radio in Ireland saying that she is in talks with 6 F1 teams about next year. Wonder what shes talking about??? I can be sure that its not a race (or test) seat. Check out her race record... Just a load of hype.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:26 (Ref:161976)   #22
dmj
Rookie

dmj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Croatian newspaper published today a brief notice where she is stated as almost sure second test driver in 2002.... for McLaren!?
Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:32 (Ref:161980)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Nooooo Waaaayyyyyyy
Old 17 Oct 2001, 15:48 (Ref:162037)   #24
Racer.Demon
Rookie

Racer.Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah Michelle...

I still fondly remember her story about her Pikes Peak win that came so close to disaster. Flying in her Audi she literally had a brush with death as she was coming up to one of the last corners - an unprotected sweep on the edge of a cliff that would have made her and the car tumble down for at least 300 yards... To win she knew she had to do the corner full-out. But as she approached it coming out of the previous corner she already knew she was in trouble as she was missing her apex by a long stretch. Already opposite-locking to the maximum, the 4WD system working to the full, she saw herself hurtling towards the edge...

In a split second she realized that lifting off now would create huge understeer and thus - certain death. So she had to put on even more power as she had to use all of her courage to slide her way around the far edge of the corner, hoping that the rear wheels would stick and push her through. The rear was already hitting the bushes at the edge of the cliff before the Audi finally pulled free and steered back to the middle of the track...

To defy everything your instinct tells you - please lift off! - in such a defining moment: now that's having balls!
Old 18 Oct 2001, 04:47 (Ref:162354)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
To my memory, there has only been one other woman who could beat her peers (men) in motor sport, and that was the American who was dominant in drag racing. I am sure someone will post here to tell us her name.