Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Mar 2007, 18:22 (Ref:1859073)   #26
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I've not used Norfolk Line for the LM weekend but have used them when we had to run a couple of truck loads of gear down to Paris a couple of months ago. Apart from the fact the crossing is slightly longer and you end up driving back past Calais to get to Le Mans I was very impressed with them. Reasonable value, friendly staff, lovely shiny new boats, etc. If they are 20 or 30 quid cheaper than P&O or Sea France I'd definately not have a problem going with them. Not at all.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1859708)   #27
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
What's the latest I should leave it before booking the ferry?
Generally, the price goes up as more people book and the crossings fill up. So, the earlier you book, the better the deal (as a rule).
Old 6 Mar 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1859785)   #28
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
We prefer to travel back on monday - however we do usually drive about an hour on Sunday after the race then stay in a hotel - goig all the way back on Sunday is hard work IMO, however the campsites can be a bit dodgy on Sundays nights!
Er, what happens on the Sunday night? I'll be staying on site until Monday, but you've got me worried now!
Old 6 Mar 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1859810)   #29
bonedome
Rookie

England
bonedome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Sunday nights people tend to let their hair down, drink the remaining stocks of beer and let of fireworks. That's what i've seen happen anyhow.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1859834)   #30
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've only stayed over over on the Sunday night, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. This was on the Maison Blanche site, so other areas might differ.

Once the race finishes the ACO doormen/stewards disappear so anyone can gain access to the site, and hoards of scavengers come around looking for left behind goodies.

The atmosphere on the site after a couple of hours once most people have gone is very sombre, sort of an anti-climax/hangover vibe.

We ventured upto the bar near the circuit entrance, and it looked like a bomb had hit it, leaving a couple of comatose punters steaming in the corner.

Since then we've followed the same routine of walking the track after the race and then breaking camp until the traffic is clear. Then we head towards Rouen, passing plenty of waving locals along the route, grab some dinner somewhere on the way and stay over at either the F1 or Hotel Etap to the north of the city. After a week in a tent either of these places is like a 5* abode. Then have a leisurely couple of hour drive to the port for a lunchtime crossing.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1859873)   #31
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we're lucky enough to be able to stay with a nice french family who live about a 15 minute walk from the circuit, hence no experience of sunday night at the campsites. we have however been into le mans town on the sunday night and the atmosphere was quite pleasant. all the locals seem to reappear and we even found ourselves sitting at the next table to jan lammers and friends for dinner.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 16:57 (Ref:1859916)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes sunday is a bit wild, in de houx one year we had drag racing for several hours, it was fun when one was drunk but I prefer to head home on the sunday, if you take the old roads it is like the brighton run, everyone waves and the streets are dotted with families and groups waving at the cars, a carnaval atmosphere.

Aim to get to the ports about midnight and they are full of brits egar to talk about the last week, and you should get to the UK in time to drive home sneak in and hide all the goodies for the wife and kids before passing out and facing the questions on monday morning
Old 6 Mar 2007, 17:31 (Ref:1859939)   #33
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd forgotten about the drag racing. The year we stayed behind, there was some through to blue carpark, there were battles between all sorts of vehicles down to pushbikes and campervans. That was until the CRS riot police rolled up and suggested it would be good if everyone went away...
Old 6 Mar 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1859952)   #34
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We used to camp in garage bleu and those drag races used to end up pretty scary! Plus you also had the gypsies scouring the site for anything that was left behind.

We now stay at one of the municiple campsites outside Le Mans (beautiful village location, plus swimming pools, bar etc.) and drive or taxi in to the circuit.

Our trip normally starts on a Tues or Weds from Calais with the return on the Monday. If you do travel back on Monday leave early as the traffic is very heavy around Rouen, the tolls and most garages.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1859967)   #35
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Since then we've followed the same routine of walking the track after the race and then breaking camp until the traffic is clear.
Do tell - you walk the entire circuit? This is a habit we've had at our regular races over here, and if the circuit stays closed to traffic, we'll plan on it ourselves!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Mar 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1860108)   #36
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Do tell - you walk the entire circuit?
Alas not, the usual route is down to the podium area and then in the reverse direction of the circuit down to the Porsche curves and onto the public road by the Beausejour campsite. Perhaps we should take the opportunity to stroll from the start upto Tertre Rouge this year.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1888414)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

Best of luck rblanchard , you'll love it ..... BUT NOT THE FOOD AT THE TRACK . Bring a butt plug !!!
What?

There's nothing wrong with the frites (+ moutard), the glorious merguez all washed down with a plastic tumbler or two of champagne.........
Old 10 Apr 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1888439)   #38
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, the memories... I'm going to miss Le Mans this year..
Old 10 Apr 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1888444)   #39
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to disagree with the doom and gloom about the campsites on Sunday night. MB is fine, there are fireworks and some frivolity but it's not full of pikeys marauding through the tents.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1888620)   #40
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
What?

There's nothing wrong with the frites (+ moutard), the glorious merguez all washed down with a plastic tumbler or two of champagne.........
I'm with Ayse on this - I look forward to LM track food every time I go - whole roasted chickens, tartiflette, and of course the merguez. YUM!
Old 11 Apr 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1889087)   #41
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Not to forget the crèpes with Grand Marnier(all you can keep in it) !

Still,for the really good stuff,one goes to the big supermarkets were litterally everything eatable is sold. Including fresh,live lobsters!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 05:01 (Ref:1890169)   #42
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Update

Guys-

Thanks for all the continued responses and incredible first-hand information.

I feel it is my duty - dare I say it, my sad responsibility to inform you I will not make it to the 2007 running of the 24 Heures de Mans. The logistics alone made it incredibly difficult to make it this year. Simply put, I think I started planning too late.

So to make up for it - and, again remember this is my birthday gift to my father for his 60th year on this race-filled Earth - I'm taking him to the Canadian Grand Prix.

Montreal is a beautiful city and it will just be easier for us to get up there and back with minimal effort. Additionally, it's the week before Le Mans so we won't miss any of the "real" action.

I hope my fellow sportscars fans won't think any less of me that I'll be attending a "lesser" racing event. At least it's F1 racing.

Again, I appreciate the incredible amount of responses and will begin planning my 2008 Le Mans visit shortly after my return from Montreal.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 08:10 (Ref:1890225)   #43
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
rblanshard, without wishing to plug another forum, if you take a wander to Club Arnage you'll find a number of American and Canadians who make the trip to LM. You might find them a good source of info.

Enjoy the GP, see you at LM next year
Old 13 Apr 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1890241)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, make 2008 a date, for sure. You won't regret it. Have a great time in Montreal
Old 13 Apr 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1890374)   #45
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'tis a shame you can't make it this year, but Montreal is a good second choice. The city is wonderful, and the event is quite entertaining.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James