Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 May 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2192423)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP Masters to return?

.................................................................................................... ..

Villeneuve hopes for GP Masters revival
''If it happens, I really want to be part of it''
01/05/08 09:48

Villeneuve keen to race the likes of Mansell

A group hopes to revive the defunct Grand Prix Masters series, where mature retired Formula One drivers went wheel to wheel in high performance single seaters.

The series was last year declared bankrupt following three races in 2005 and 2006, when chassis supplier Delta Motorsport complained that its invoices had gone unpaid.

The fleet of 15 cars, based on the 2000-spec Reynard chassis for Champ Car, was bought by a group that is in the initial stages of planning for a series of races late this year, Autoweek reports.

1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve would like to race, but that would require a reduction of the original minimum age (45) of competitors.

"I watched one of the first races on TV and thought that it would be great to compete against a guy like Nigel Mansell," he said.

Also on the initial GP Masters grids were Emerson Fittipaldi, Riccardo Patrese, Alan Jones and other famous names.

Villeneuve added: "If it happens, I really want to be part of it."

It is believed that the buyer of the cars is currently in talks with a possible investor.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
Old 2 May 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2192458)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know several people who lost money on this last time round - if the same management are involved it wont happen.
It was a flawed conceipt where the opening races were engineered to have Mansell win - that was outlined before a race to a company I know who was being pitched to sponsor his car
Old 2 May 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2192476)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Mr Viilleneuve has recently failed at most things he has tried ,especially the NASCA disaster so Masters Idea may give him another go.Bet he does not use his own money.Mansall would be better off on Seniors Golf Tour.
As far as drivers are concerned its History and should be left at that
Old 2 May 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2192541)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, John, what's the difference between being old enough to be on the seniors golf or tennis tour, or a senior motor racing tour. My problem with the resurrection of this series is that there is talk of allowing younger drivers like JV into it. I think this is wrong since it defeats the purpose of the exercise. They should stick to a lower age limit (was it 45, before?).

Interesting subject for this forum in that, very unusually, the history is in the drivers not the cars!
Old 2 May 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2192545)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
35 Tennis 50 Golf and as far as GP Drivers anyone who wants to supplement his income
Old 2 May 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2192616)   #6
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, the GP drivers had to be acertain age. Does this count as historic racing?

I'm not sure it was that great a series personally, not too sad to see it go.
Old 2 May 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2192701)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I for one hope it does not get going again. Someone pinched my Delta Motor Sport name which i have been trading as for nearly 20 years. When Murry Walker said in the first race that we had prepared the cars at my workshop in Henley on Thames i fell of my chair.What really got on my nerves is that the blooming phone didnot stop ringing and i had the BBC wanting to to an interview as well.
Old 3 May 2008, 06:43 (Ref:2193026)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
No, the GP drivers had to be acertain age. Does this count as historic racing?
Yes, that was my point; they DID, but now thay are talking about lowering it if they get a new series going.
Old 6 May 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2194949)   #9
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Agreed it was a flawed concept, the cars were far to phyiscal to drive for the demographic of drivers the masters was aiming to attract. Clearly where it also falls over is that you can play Master Golf and you are not going to get hurt, whereas drivers of that era have given up racing for a reason.

If the concept will work at all it needs to be in DTM (or even speedcar) style cars which will attract a wider range of drivers from different eras.

However, outside of the Middle East, I doubt there is the backing or sponsorship interest to develop this again.
Old 6 May 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2194983)   #10
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker
Agreed it was a flawed concept, the cars were far to phyiscal to drive for the demographic of drivers the masters was aiming to attract. Clearly where it also falls over is that you can play Master Golf and you are not going to get hurt, whereas drivers of that era have given up racing for a reason.

If the concept will work at all it needs to be in DTM (or even speedcar) style cars which will attract a wider range of drivers from different eras.

However, outside of the Middle East, I doubt there is the backing or sponsorship interest to develop this again.
You've hit it right on the nose Moneyseeker. All your points are totally correct. I also don't think there's much of a desire for those guys to come out and race again because if there was, they'd be racing in some other series. It's a bit of a publicity stunt that is a little embarrassing because these once great drivers are not physically able to drive these cars (an up and coming young driver would find them physical too) and they're understandably conscious of not going off and hurting themselves. They had enough years of risking themselves without having put themselves at risk now once finished racing.
Old 6 May 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2195075)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong

At the risk of being flamed to a cinder, I really can see no problem with Masters (as in master Drivers) mixing it with historically significant F1 cars being punted by younger guns. What is the issue??

Entertainment value = Maximum
Old 6 May 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2195106)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
I for one hope it does not get going again. Someone pinched my Delta Motor Sport name which i have been trading as for nearly 20 years. When Murry Walker said in the first race that we had prepared the cars at my workshop in Henley on Thames i fell of my chair.What really got on my nerves is that the blooming phone didnot stop ringing and i had the BBC wanting to to an interview as well.

You know you should have done that interview? And talked a load of BS!

PS did you buy Delta when the name and jigs were for sale with a Formula Ford chassis/design rights in Autosport in the mid/late 80's?
Old 6 May 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2195107)   #13
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a Porsche Boxster race being organised for the old fellas that would come before the F1 race? Would beat the ITV pre-race coverage.

As an added bonus of having the oldies at the race weekend, we'd get all sorts of extra random and useless quotes masquerading as news articles.
Old 6 May 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2195243)   #14
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
You know you should have done that interview? And talked a load of BS!

PS did you buy Delta when the name and jigs were for sale with a Formula Ford chassis/design rights in Autosport in the mid/late 80's?
Iain (aka Delta) is on his way to Monaco at the moment. As far as I know, he bought the jigs and moulds etc, but not the FF1600. He now makes spares for the many Deltas still running as and when required.