Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Feb 2015, 07:17 (Ref:3507942)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
I suppose some people out there in talk talk land just don't understand that cars of this period generally weren't silenced in the day and ran side pipes and shortened systems etc.
Trying desperately to avoid another discussion about noise , AFAIK having competed and worked in rallying during the 70s, 80s and 90s, Rally cars were silenced to a level required by the road traffic laws of the country they were competing in. I can understand from a RR organisers PoV that a less silenced V8 would be attractive, however, presuming they don't have noise issues at the venue!

Old 23 Feb 2015, 07:36 (Ref:3507947)   #77
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think that Motorsport has a duty to be responsible or else it may have a very short future, but a one off car at a one off event, presumably acting within planning permission and venue rules, should not be a problem. Certainly shouldn't result in name calling! Hope to see the Firenza again.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3507950)   #78
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We had a great weekend meeting loads of friends and making new ones. Biscuits nearly all gone. Brought home fewer boxes than I took.

The news about the tannoy and lack of information isn't surprising. The whole show is creaking, no modern marketing, poor communication, no real effort in block busting displays. It looks like they just crank the handle and bank the money. Don't get me wrong, I like RR and expect to be there again next year but attention to detail is lacking. It needs some real enthusiasm at the helm not just a show organiser.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3507965)   #79
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Less than two weeks ago someone from Race Retro phoned up trying to sell exhibition space. It was too late to do anything, but he kindly sent me a free ticket.

I thought the show was smaller this year than previous years - the aisles seemed to be wider and everything was spread out to try and disguise that there were possibly fewer exhibitors, and was evident in each of the 4 halls.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3507966)   #80
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely. It was easier to build and dismantle stands and more exhibitor parking. Also, no Gestapo security guards they just let the exhibitors get on with it. And there was less chaos, less hassle, we were all in and out quickly. Perfect.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 10:34 (Ref:3507989)   #81
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Most definitely..Booked in at Snet for the test day so everyone can have a crawl around the car and pick faults for me to mend before its first outing
N.
Good stuff. I won't be at Snett for either the test or the race day but have entered Silverstone. Need to get your entries in asap as Swinging Sixties is very popular!!

Edit: Just looked at my calendar, not working on the test day so may come over to check out the opposition ;-)
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 23 Feb 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3508049)   #82
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Good stuff. I won't be at Snett for either the test or the race day but have entered Silverstone. Need to get your entries in asap as Swinging Sixties is very popular!!

Edit: Just looked at my calendar, not working on the test day so may come over to check out the opposition ;-)
I don't think a Mustang is opposition..at croft I was struggling keeping up with rookies in 924 Porsches and hot hatches I still have much learning to do which can only be achieved by getting some bum time in seat..Slowly and steady at first…I was doing consistent 1.46 at croft on 12 year old M sections, I am thinking 2 second improvement on Yokos so I think I am probably about a realistic 3-4 seconds away from the pace of the other types of car I should be competitive with..I am also still over geared and could do with a slightly tweaked diff ratio…I am pretty sure there will be plenty of guys to race though…Its all fun in my little old self built car..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zey5ZddGp8
18 mins in or so it gets interesting…Was struggling to keep up with a girl on her slowing down lap

N.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3508082)   #83
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the naysayers information

I spend most of y time watching F1 stock cars, and I also enjoy watchign drag racing, both sports that have exactly the same sort of engines.

And as for the comments about being a person living next to a circuit numby type

I treat that with the contempt it deserves, have you actually ever DONE anything to rectify these issues? I am content I have thankyou.

Issue is done, apologies for the name calling, that was unnecessary. I thought it might have been Ari in the M3, on his own. Bloke near me was cetain he was driving just abotu every car!
Old 23 Feb 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3508089)   #84
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Will keep some of these in the toolbox in the event that you are at a race meeting..
Old 23 Feb 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3508122)   #85
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aww thank you so much.

Do you have matching panties and socks?

Or is that too much to give away to a stranger
Old 23 Feb 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3508127)   #86
straff99
Rookie

straff99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Straff

Just my opinion fella. Just too loud in such a close arena. Am not criticising you or what you are doing, and of course it's great to see all sorts of cars. I would be the lone voice here and as you say plenty of people enjoy it.

Just for me, and one or two others, the thing just makes a bit of a racket I am afraid. And not a nice one in my ears, constantly hitting a limiter is not a nice noise for me lol! Think you could do with some grip.

Luckily there were enough cars out there to mean you could enjoy everything else aswell, that thing is a little overbearing that's all.

But let that not detract from the whole thing, apologies for the calling.
No problem. It's tricky; we've upped the axle ratio to stop the wheel spin on gravel (450 bhp) but that's made the gearing very long for Race Retro (leave it in first or change up then straight down again?). Hence hitting the rev limiter. When we run the exhaust most people seem to prefer it and I'm deaf so I don't mind! If I put the big wing on the back I upset some folk but I can guarantee I get asked where it is when I don't. I could drive it in a straight line and set faster times but that's not the point at these demo's. We're there to put on a show for the spectators - the dyed in the wool rally fans and the car nuts, not to set fast times. Race Retro's a brilliant event and the fans are great. I suppose if we keep 90% of the visitors happy then that's as good as it gets. And thanks for the support!
Old 23 Feb 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3508133)   #87
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Aww thank you so much.

Old 23 Feb 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3508135)   #88
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Aww thank you so much.

Yup. You should have come to my stand at RR
Old 23 Feb 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3508171)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I did venture out into the cold briefly

But to be honest I was not looking to buy anything, and usualy there are one or two cars on display in there, but nothing this year.

When the dirt bike show is there, that area is full, they get some dir in and have a little track and all sorts.

But I guess you get what you pay for, I do think there could be mroe done though, but like NEC, why bother when people keep coming no matter what.

They do change the PR people farily regularly, so cant imagine its a big money spinner
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:31 (Ref:3508317)   #90
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by straff99 View Post
No problem. It's tricky; we've upped the axle ratio to stop the wheel spin on gravel (450 bhp) but that's made the gearing very long for Race Retro (leave it in first or change up then straight down again?). Hence hitting the rev limiter. When we run the exhaust most people seem to prefer it and I'm deaf so I don't mind! If I put the big wing on the back I upset some folk but I can guarantee I get asked where it is when I don't. I could drive it in a straight line and set faster times but that's not the point at these demo's. We're there to put on a show for the spectators - the dyed in the wool rally fans and the car nuts, not to set fast times. Race Retro's a brilliant event and the fans are great. I suppose if we keep 90% of the visitors happy then that's as good as it gets. And thanks for the support!
My 14 year old son loved your display in the Firenza, the smoke (from tyres and engine) and the noise, he also like the noise and display put on by the Octavia. He was not alone, as myself and two other over 50 year olds friends also enjoyed it! In fact my brother, himself nearly 60, was hoping the Firenza was going to be there!
I think it is great that the noise and smell of old cars, doing what they were designed to do can still be seen by the younger generation.

As for the show in general, we have been for the past three years, I think it is getting smaller, but the quality is still good, people on all the stands are very knowledgeable and friendly.
We did go to the London Classic car show a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed with that show, we left for home by 2 o’clock. Where as we stayed all day at RR.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3508338)   #91
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
at croft I was struggling keeping up with rookies in 924 Porsches and hot hatches
Not everything is always what they appear to be............... a few years back I too had a good battle with a 924. I could understand it being more nimble so expected it to out corner me but it was also going really well down the straights. Couldn't believe he was gaining that much on me through the corners to get such a run on the exits.
In the paddock after the owner told me it had just under 300hp and weighed in around 900kg - I was a little happier then
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3508480)   #92
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And there were two actual hens teeth there, an RS1700 and an Astra 4S, running and looking quick, fair play to the lad for running that there, must be one of only 1 or 2 in the world.

That Astra 4S wasn't that quick - passed it in my Alfa 147 diesel on the way down to the show.......

It "might" have been on a trailer at the time, though....
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:49 (Ref:3508485)   #93
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Not everything is always what they appear to be............... a few years back I too had a good battle with a 924. I could understand it being more nimble so expected it to out corner me but it was also going really well down the straights. Couldn't believe he was gaining that much on me through the corners to get such a run on the exits.
In the paddock after the owner told me it had just under 300hp and weighed in around 900kg - I was a little happier then
The guy in the porsche came over to see me after the session. said he hadn't had so much fun in ages..I was over the moon, really enjoyed myself. I think some forget that it is always above everything else meant to be fun..

Hopefully I won't be too much of a mobile chicane when I get out this year.
N