Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jul 2003, 18:17 (Ref:663103)   #26
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it that you were not there then Lee Janotta????

Hhhmmmmm.... maybe you should go just so that you can see what we are all talking about....

Or do I detect a hint of jealousy at not being able to afford one of these beautiful vehicles????
Old 16 Jul 2003, 18:19 (Ref:663107)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Lee, I've never heard so much rubbish spouted before. As others have said, if you want to watch a competitive hillclimb go to Prescott.

If you lose the demo runs then you can kiss goodbye to most of the entries. Would you rather these cars were kept locked up in private collections and never shown in public?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 19:23 (Ref:663201)   #28
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes

If you lose the demo runs then you can kiss goodbye to most of the entries. Would you rather these cars were kept locked up in private collections and never shown in public?
Well put Redshoes. The Festival never has been a competitive hillclimb for all invited cars. True - some come along to try to get BTD but most are demos and a chance to see our heroes re-united with famous cars, whatever the speed although I do think some are excessively slow.
Some owners are happy to show their cars and hand them over to 'names' to drive but may not want them driven hard. Take Jack Sears for example with his Galaxie 500. He once told me he would never allow the car to race again, yet he was invited to bring it along because so many people remember him winning the BTCC in 1963 with this famous car. It is totally original in 1960s spec.
Lord March wanted a Galaxie in the first St.Mary's Revival race in '98. Because Jack didn't want it racing again his Lordship had a replica built in Willment colours.
Perhaps the title is mis-leading and 'The Festival of Speed' does not fit - certainly in some cases. But I for one am grateful to be able to see so many famous rare cars in one place, but to also get to hear them. You can't do that in a static museum!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:17 (Ref:663252)   #29
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here for the last three posts, surely this is what the FoS is all about. If you want to see Historic cars racing, hillclimbing etc, then go to the appropriate meetings anywhere in the world, Goodwood is a display of the famous, rare and forgotten cars of the past put together in one place where they can also be driven at whatever speed the owner/driver wishes.
Example.
A friend of mine in France worked for Matra Automobiles until a couple of years ago and volunteered, with several like minded fellow employees, to keep Monsieur J-L L's collection of racing cars working so that they could be displayed at Monthlery etc. The Matras according to Mr L had had their day and were now to be seen, demonstrated to the public, but not raced (unless you were a favoured ex-employee). When Matra came to Goodwood in '96 and '97 these were the reasons that the cars were driven at not too great a speed up the hill, admittedly by French historic racers, but even Chris Amon was under instructions not to go above 10,000 rpm in the MS120D.
Andrew has given similar reasons for Jack Sears appearances in the Galaxie and I seem to remember Sir Stirling Moss doing exactly the same in Mercedes as well.
Finally, what is better, seeing a car at Goodwood once a year or traveling halfway round the world to visit a museum to see the same car gathering dust, possibly as a non runner?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:40 (Ref:663346)   #30
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee, do you wait until you see a post that you know nothing about and then open your mouth and let your belly rumble and wait for the controversy. You obviously haven't understood one thing about the ideals and concepts of the Festival of Speed. Is this another case of you having read all the books and seen all the video and are therefore "an armchair expert".

Believe me, talk to your American friends who have actually been to Goodwood and hence know what they are talking about, they will soon put you right. As I said previously do YOU dispute the accolades of so many World Champions and living legends, or do you from your armchair over there across the pond know better???
Old 17 Jul 2003, 08:17 (Ref:663644)   #31
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chigley
do you from your armchair over there across the pond know better???
At the risk of starting another war haven't we heard this recently in another context.............
Old 17 Jul 2003, 08:46 (Ref:663654)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder if Lord March is aware of the controversey his excellent idea has provoked.

For my part I don't go to it mainly because I like to see my cars racing. I do like meeting Derek B and Sir Stirling etc. But I prefer circuits to hills.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 09:44 (Ref:663681)   #33
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Festival is a wonderful event but as I have said before - I prefer the Revival in September for the reasons that Peter has said above. The cars seem so much at home there and the racing - wow! The Tourist Trophy GT grid is worth at least £30 million alone. Coys too was a great event but somehow, an ERA does not seem right between acres of gravel and miles of armco at Silverstone. You don't get that at the Goodwood Revival.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 09:44 (Ref:663682)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isnt the general consensus that its a great occassion but just a pity we are not seeing all of them driving 10/10ths? But I dont think its worth falling out over it!! And certainly the guy in the Hemi whatever is great value - surely we all agree on that?!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 09:54 (Ref:663686)   #35
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. Very interesting responses.
Vitesse,and the Daytona Charger about the pace of the Pop-mobile, so you can't blame the startline marshalls. What should they do leave 4 minutues between cars.
As to 'it's only supposd to be practice' comment. When I practice for the first time at a hillclimb am not familliar with, I treat it as a bit of fast road driving, which ain't 20mph.
As for the big American behemoth's not suitable for English hillclimbs. Maybe but it's supposed to be a NASCAR racer. Even American competition car's can corner. If alternatively the car was not in good shape mechanically, then don't as an owner be arrogant enough to accept an invitation to a world class.event. I certainly couldn't bring a car to any event thet I was to compete in, if it wasn't spot on.
Sorry Mrs Blackx, but Lee's spot on when he says it shouldn't be a parade lap for millionaire's to publisise their wealth in front of the peasants. However I also agree that none of this is good reason to miss the event as it i still, just about, the jewel in the motorsport weekend calendar.
It's not envy either. Being involved in motorsport for over 25 years, I been pleased to observe that real racers are the same under the skin, as each other. Whether they have a Peugeot 205 or a Ferrari 250 SWB they have the same enthusiasm for winning. It's the ones with money but no enthusiasm, that are hard to like.
Any way nobody's asking for 10/10ths from everyone. Just don't give us 2/10ths.
Remember this is supposed 'The Festival of Speed'
Incidentaly the gate reciepts were 158,000!

Last edited by C R Box; 17 Jul 2003 at 10:03.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 10:24 (Ref:663707)   #36
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this was round about the soapbox start then? Just before the wall? In that case, I'd agree he shouldn't have been showboating without having given the start marshals adequate warning, as that's a blind section for drivers coming out of the shadows. I also take your point about a longer period between cars, but this is due to the intensity of running on the practice days, not to mention the inevitable delays when cars fail on the start line or on the course.

The point has been made above though, that drivers are there for different reasons: some just to show rare cars, others to demonstrate at full chat - the class system adopted at the FoS is more at fault here than anything else: while the Charger and Baby Bertha are similar animals, they were obviously there for a different purpose. It would be better if the running order were to be separated so that the demo runs were all completed before the competitive runs - that way there'd be no problem ....

Bob Marley
Old 17 Jul 2003, 10:25 (Ref:663709)   #37
Goggles
Rookie

Goggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood FOS

Speaking as a Kyalami (South African) marshal participating in my first Goodwood Festival of Speed I have to say that I have never enjoyed myself so much before. As my brother in law Steve was the only survivor of the tragic accident 3 years ago it was with trepidation that I signed up. As I was marshaling with my sister Jackie we were put on the turnaround at the start line. I couldn't think of a better place to be. As it was a typical "South African" weather day,it meant that the drivers were baking in their cars whilst lined up waiting for their turn, so Jackie and I went around using umbrellas to give some shelter to the drivers. As I wear a different overall to UK marshals it was a opening line to start chatting to the drivers. What wonderful friendly guys Johnny Herbert, Alan McNish, Graeme Wight (snr & jnr)and Jorg Muller amongst many others are. Also to be in the prescence of such greats as Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart etc. As to the cars, well I have never seen such an array of differences! From coal driven to the F1's.. that is what speed is about...a festival to celebrate the advances in speed.. Spectators are there to see the cars and their heros. Thanks to Steve, Jackie and all the marshals for their warm welcome and fun had. I'll be back!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 10:30 (Ref:663715)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome aboard Goggles.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 13:16 (Ref:663868)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
welcome goggles.

Lees right about the fat cat showboaters.

where the whacky racers there this year? I mean what is the bloody point of that . . . .I didnt know Hannah Berbera where in the automotive indusrty
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:02 (Ref:663919)   #40
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hahahha maybe he thought he was Peter Perfect!!! thanks for cheering me up Zefarelly I was just coming to terms with the fact that I have had to admit defeat and pull out of the Historic Sportscar race supporting the Grand Prix. A race which will be anything but a procession!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:663949)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Simon why?
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:42 (Ref:663963)   #42
simon drabble
Veteran

I had "componant failure" in my engine during the gentleman Drivers race at Brands 2 weeks ago and its been a race against the clock to get the engine rebuilt (bent valves etc....) the valves are a special size and the correct ones arrived this morning - so the engine will be ready early next week in time to go down to Charade but Brands and the GP meeting were the 2 I was looking fwd to all season. To say that I am gutted is probably the understatement of the year....high class problem but I am pretty depressed about it!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 15:48 (Ref:664049)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
commiserations, hopefully the rebuilt engine and its builders will avoid inferior components!

I guess its part of the racing game, gutting!

the british GP and a can of carbonated pond water (fosters) wont help either!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 17:20 (Ref:664132)   #44
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Forgive me chaps but........

I cant recall that many cars only going up the hill at 20mph..... I was spectating from just in front of Goodwood house (which is where my hubby was on post) and I can only hope that they were actually "going for it" so to speak, cause if they weren't.... *gulp*

I have been a spectator at Shelsley Walsh, Prescott, Loton Park and Curborough for aprox 7 years now and did not feel cheated one little bit in respect to the speed the vehicles were going up the hill.....

I am sure that many of you disagree with me but I cant help but feel that you are all missing the real reason for the festival!!!!

I for one have never stood by a genuine AC Cobra and I would never be able to afford to go the the Grand Prix, so the thrill of the noise of the F1 cars alone made it worth while for me...

The festival has never been advertised as a "racing or competitive" event, just an appreciation of some of the worlds rarest and most beautiful vehicles.....
Old 17 Jul 2003, 18:51 (Ref:664209)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sensible words there.

(Note to self: Never argue with a woman).

If you ever get the chance come to some of the CTCRC events. We don't claim to have too much exotica but we do have racing.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 19:14 (Ref:664239)   #46
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Thank you Peter... I will try and direct hubby (blackx) to try some of the CTCRC events....

Variety as they say is the spice of life......
Old 17 Jul 2003, 19:21 (Ref:664246)   #47
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they say that a picture is worth a thousand words and so.............

here follow a few thousand words !!

Where else could you get Derek Bell to sign the hat of a stuffed gorilla????
Old 17 Jul 2003, 19:23 (Ref:664249)   #48
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and MrsCrazyStu finally gets to touch a Ferrari F1 !!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 19:25 (Ref:664250)   #49
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
and then, on the lawn in front of Goodwood House, gets to climb into a real Nascar.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 19:28 (Ref:664252)   #50
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
But the ultimate has to be having your host for the weekend pose with the aforementioned gorilla.