Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Aug 2004, 02:47 (Ref:1078767)   #1
amaroo
Rookie

amaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bargs and Frosty to combine

Happy to report that following a test, Larko has announced that Bargs and Frosty will share car 10 for the enduros and Larko and Halliday in #20.

More info on Orrcon site with pretty pics too !

I wouldnt mind a little bet on car 10 come Bathurst
Old 27 Aug 2004, 04:16 (Ref:1078783)   #2
worried
Rookie

worried should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Courtesy of RaceNews: http://www.racetime.com.au/?racenews=11272

Posted 27/08/04: ORRCON RACING REGULARS JOIN FORCES FOR ENDUROS

Orrcon Racing
Aug 27 2004
ORRCON RACING REGULARS JOIN FORCES FOR ENDUROS

Orrcon Racing regulars join forces for enduros

Following their third test day of the year yesterday Orrcon Racing are pleased to confirm that the regular campaigners aboard the Orrcon Racing Falcon’s Jason Bargwanna and Mark Winterbottom will join forces for the upcoming endurance events.

The pair will drive in the Number 10 Orrcon Racing Falcon while team owner Mark Larkham will pair with New Zealand young gun Matt Halliday in the second Larkham Motor Sport prepared entry aboard the Number 20 Falcon.

Bargwanna, a former winner of the Bob Jane T-Marts 1000 at Bathurst, is currently 10th in the Championship standings and believes pairing with Winterbottom will enable the team to be serious contenders both at the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 and Bathurst.

“Mark did a fantastic job in both races last year and the race pace shown by the team this year has shown that these races could bring an extremely competitive result by having the two regular drivers together,” said Bargwanna.

“No matter what people think Bathurst is still the highlight of the year and it is what teams work towards for the entire year, our team has been working extremely hard aiming for a good result at the mountain.

“Winning Bathurst in 2000 has so far been the highlight of my career but to do it again would be sensational.”

Both Orrcon Racing drivers made their V8 Supercar debut at Sandown with Bargwanna starting his career in 1997 and Winterbottom last year after claiming the Konica V8 Championship.

After having a taste of both the Sandown and Bathurst circuits last year Winterbottom is confident of a good result in both events.

“It was good to get the experience last year, it gives me confidence going into this year’s events because I know what to expect from a V8 around both Sandown and Bathurst,” said Winterbottom.

“To pair with someone that has as much experience around Bathurst like Bargs is something I am really looking forward to, then you throw in the experience of Larko and the team I am confident we will be able to achieve a good result.”

Larkham, who has previously sat on pole position at Bathurst is looking forward to climbing back aboard the Orrcon Racing BA Falcon early next month at Sandown.

“I’ve been in this game long enough to know how tough the endurance races are, I have realistic expectations about what it will take to be on the pace having spent nine months out of a car” said Larkham.

“Endurance racing is about many things…speed, strategy, reliability, teamwork, mental and physical stamina, and as such our expectations are to finish at the pointy end.”

Halliday, 25, has claimed a host of victories across a wide variety of racing categories that has also including pole position and dominating the second round of the Formula Renault Championship before finishing third in Monaco last year.

The talented Kiwi finished sixth in the 2001 Indy Lights Championship and has twice finished third in the Australian Drivers Championship in 1999 and 2000.

More recently, Halliday has finished runner-up in the 2004 Trans Tasman GT3 Cup behind multiple Bathurst and Australian touring car Champion Jim Richards. He also took out two of the Carrera Cup races at the Melbourne Grand Prix earlier this year.

Halliday will become the third member of the driver line up to make their V8 Supercar debut at the Sandown circuit when he competes alongside Larkham.

“I am definitely looking forward to both events and am very comfortable to be driving with someone who has as much experience as Mark (Larkham) does around Sandown and Bathurst,” said Halliday.

“Before yesterday’s test day I had only driven a V8 for a handful of laps back in 2000 so it was great to get a feel for the car.

“One of the main focuses during the day was to ensure both Mark and I are comfortable in the car and also completed several driver changes preparing for the events.”

The ninth round of the V8 Supercar Championship is the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 at Sandown, Victoria on September 10-12.

Currently Bargwanna is tenth in the Championship standings with Winterbottom 23rd.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 04:40 (Ref:1078792)   #3
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see larco back, i wish him well.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1078938)   #4
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably a smart move but makes it more difficult for Larko to get that bathurst victory. Just shows the man he is putting a likely stronger combo together with Bargs and Frosty. Have a good feeling about the big one!

Larko, We miss you.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1078942)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only their third test day. Been saving them up.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1078985)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you read between the lines, you notice a V8 Supercar pilot who has been out of the seat for a while realising that perhaps he doesnt have the immediate speed he thought he would have.... and rather than burden the lead car, took the very very generous position of switching to the team's second machine.

I reckon that shows a lot of character actually.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1078988)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
If you read between the lines, you notice a V8 Supercar pilot who has been out of the seat for a while realising that perhaps he doesnt have the immediate speed he thought he would have.... and rather than burden the lead car, took the very very generous position of switching to the team's second machine.

I reckon that shows a lot of character actually.
Might very well be his last year?

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 27 Aug 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1078991)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would think so retro.... certainly doesnt sound like Larko is performing at the level he expected to straight away
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1079078)   #9
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, Character is one thing Larko has plenty of. Think he always knew it would be difficult, especially after Larry's efforts last year. Can only hope the 500 is a good warmup and he takes back the qual record at bathurst. Still reckon that lap was better than Murph's! He has been in the car at other test days, don't forget Frosty's speed at Bathurst last year.

Last edited by Orrcon King; 27 Aug 2004 at 12:08.

Larko, We miss you.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1079110)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Makes you wonder how John Cleland jumps in a BJR car and bumps off the times, with no other racing all year huh....
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1079115)   #11
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTRM,

Don't tell me that Clelland has similiar abilities to Ritter!

I don't think Clelland has a manager either but he has got a marketable akk-sent!
Old 29 Aug 2004, 00:40 (Ref:1080272)   #12
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In his day Cleland was better than Ritter, but age is catching up with the Scot.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1080974)   #13
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he is still bloody quick, given he races twice(?) a year.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 07:26 (Ref:1081232)   #14
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Orrcon King
GTR, Character is one thing Larko has plenty of. Think he always knew it would be difficult, especially after Larry's efforts last year.
This is the man who gave his first BA to Bargs and the second to Frosty, without ever having a tilt with one of his own. Tons of commonsense and very gracious with it, - full respect to Larko.