Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2120370)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yamamoto joins Renault

As a test driver for 2008.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...joins-renault/

I'll bet he brings a few bob in.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2120633)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I can only assume he comes with a briefcase of cash...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 Feb 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2120657)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or the world has gone mad!
Old 4 Feb 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2120689)   #4
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet Flavs got $$$$ signs in his eyes
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2120782)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that really comes as a surprise. He's not their reserve driver, is he?
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2120789)   #6
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess they needed someone for airstrip aero testing...
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2120804)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What a very odd choice of driver for a factory team...
Old 4 Feb 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2120827)   #8
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
What a very odd choice of driver for a factory team...
Yes, it makes you wonder about their long term plans in F1
Old 4 Feb 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2120908)   #9
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought they already had two testers; Grosjean and Di Grassi?
Old 4 Feb 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2120925)   #10
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Di Grassi is their reserve driver, Grosjean is a tester, Yamamoto I imagine will mostly do the Renault Roadshow demonstrations perhaps with a test every once in a while.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2120979)   #11
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
I thought they already had two testers; Grosjean and Di Grassi?
Yes but neither of them have huge sacks of money attached to there overalls they have to find some extra money to pay alonsos wages after all
Old 4 Feb 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2121080)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Flav

“Furthermore, the ING Renault F1 Team is one of the most active in promoting Formula One around the world thanks to our unique Roadshow programme, and Sakon will boost our visibility in important markets. He will be an important asset for the team.”
Renault are obviously going to target the far eastern market and having a driver from that part of the world will be a bonus.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 03:10 (Ref:2121283)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Maybe.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 05:26 (Ref:2121319)   #14
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Nissan GT-R is Renault's fastest production car right now, and it is produced in Japan.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2121360)   #15
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes... ok.

Old 5 Feb 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2121460)   #16
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 2000 Benetton signed as a test driver some Japanese guy called Hidetoshi Mitsusada (spelling?), which was F3000 driver too... but, I believe, he was fired soon after Renault bought the team and Flavio returned as team boss... funny to see the repetition of this 8 years later... with Flavio welcoming this guy on board
Old 7 Feb 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2123187)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Contract with sponsorship convenience??? Mitsusada entered with backing of MTCI that time. He also entered in F3000 at team WRT and he only lasted three races where he can't qualify even at one (at those times where 30 cars on a grid of 26). Later returned to the F-Nippon but he wasn't long enough there too. Now races in the Japanese GTs.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2123205)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This move is almost certainly motivated by Renault trying to improve their sales in Japan. Sakon may have F1 experience, but not of competitively driving capable cars, so I doubt he can add too much to Renault's development.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2123244)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My mind went blank when I read Yamamoto. I kept thinking of other Japanese drivers, temporarily forgetting who Yamamoto was. Nakajima kept springing to mind, and I was quite pleased at this.

I then woke up. Nakajima is at Williams fool! The true scale of this announcement left me bewildered, hurt and confused.

Still, could have been Yuji Ide I suppose.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2123319)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Sakon may have F1 experience, but not of competitively driving capable cars...
I read this as "not of capably driving cars" and was about to agree wholeheartedly.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Feb 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2123565)   #21
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im in shock still. Then again, I was in shock when Hulkenberg joined Williams, that was a serious coup in my opinion. (Sorry to go slightly off topic)
Old 7 Feb 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2123591)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you'll find we say major coup here on 10-Tenths.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2123791)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I think you'll find we say major coup here on 10-Tenths.

he he!