Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Dec 2007, 13:56 (Ref:2085545)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Renault confirm 2008 lineup

This has been mentioned in other threads, but we may as well dedicate a thread to this - it is big news.

Renault have confirmed their 2008 lineup, and it is Fernando Alonso alongside Nelson Piquet Jr.

Surprised? And just where does this leave the two disposed drivers?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64336
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:00 (Ref:2085551)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Surprised? And just where does this leave the two disposed drivers?
Kovalainen to McLaren
Fisi - The dole queue
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:00 (Ref:2085552)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will Alonso throw his toys out of the pram if Renault fail to produce a winning car?

Was it really with him having a spat with McLaren?

Most likely not. He's been very short-sighted.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:03 (Ref:2085554)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Will Alonso throw his toys out of the pram if Renault fail to produce a winning car?

Was it really with him having a spat with McLaren?

Most likely not. He's been very short-sighted.
What happens if Piquet starts to beat him
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:09 (Ref:2085559)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
What happens if Piquet starts to beat him
What's to say the next rookie won't.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:11 (Ref:2085560)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then, Nelson Piquet Sr. very probably would start to speak against Alonso, as he did with his arch-enemy Nigel Mansell in the past. I fear that Anthony Hamilton could had been more polite last year in relation that Alonso would overcome in next season.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:11 (Ref:2085563)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I must say I'm surprised by the announcement of Piquet for a start. He is at a similar level to Kovaleinen I would say, so I don't see the point in the change as, quite simply, he just has less experience.

So I have to assume that Heikki has insisted on a move to McLaren. I am surprised Briatore would let this happen.

Still, the signing of Alonso is nice. Hopefully things will go back to the way they were. The king has returned to his castle.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2085566)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps Kovalainen refused to play second-fiddle to a sulky Alonso? Kovalainen'll be better in a McLaren anyway, because Renault are poor and don't look like they'll be getting better soon.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:14 (Ref:2085568)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm certain all those possibilities are taken care of in Fernando's contract.

But definitely I feel these two drivers will be a strong combination if the car is good.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:15 (Ref:2085569)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Still, the signing of Alonso is nice. Hopefully things will go back to the way they were. The king has returned to his castle.
I think the signing of Alonso is somewhat hilarious. He went away to win a world title with another team, failed to do so, but proved he could do a decent job elsewhere, nonetheless burnt his bridges there, and now finds himself in a team that isn't looking too bright for the future.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:16 (Ref:2085570)   #11
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happens if Piquet starts to beat him ?

Toys out of the pram again!!
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:16 (Ref:2085571)   #12
LadySnowcat
Rookie

LadySnowcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sooo...

Two prima donnas at Renault then...

Fernando and Junior...

Whoops make that three...I forgot about Daddy....
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:20 (Ref:2085575)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not unexpected.

Kovalainen-Toyota with Glock.
Sutil-McLaren.
Fisi-India with no Force.
Truli-vineyards.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 10 Dec 2007 at 14:23.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:20 (Ref:2085576)   #14
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Kovalainen to McLaren
Fisi - The dole queue
Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat claim Kovalainen is set to sign with Toyota leaving Trullie out in the cold.

Fisi.. Sutil hinted that Klein is top of the list at Force India, I think everyone would agree Klien was the most impressive among the 25 pilots that the team tested during last month. Fisi might stand a chance (a slight one) at FI, but me thinks a test-role at one of the Top4 teams isnt unthinkable either.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:27 (Ref:2085579)   #15
mllevy
Rookie

mllevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about grosjean instead of di grasi?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:30 (Ref:2085585)   #16
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I am surprised Briatore would let this happen.
Yea me too, Kovalainnen to Mclaren is actually unlike since:

1. Imagine the price and conditions Flav would quote for Dennis

2. With the FIA vs Mclaren thing it seems to set to be a troubled season for the team

3. Keeping Pedro around who know the car and is proved to be a solid finisher with an OK-to-good pace and no salery demands keep the Spanish sponsors and that is good (or almost even a must) for the team's balance ATM.

4. Finnish media claims it isnt happing anyway and Kova becomes a part of Toyota's bloodfreshing project.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:33 (Ref:2085588)   #17
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame - it would've been fantastic to see him up against Hamilton in the same machinery.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:43 (Ref:2085600)   #18
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllevy
what about grosjean instead of di grasi?
Surprised me too, that. Would've thought Lucas was a shoo-in for test driver. I wonder where the Young Driver Program will place him for next year?

What is the duration of Alonsos contract - the expected one year deal? Anyone know?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2085611)   #19
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if Ron has any sense.......which he has......he will do a deal and buy Kovalianen outright........its been proven in the past, that if Mclaren-Mercedes highlight, and want a certain driver, they will simply buy him, no matter the cost.......remember the Raikonen move from Sauber, a supposed concrete deal peter sauber was saying, warning everyone off him.....10 million bucks did the trick, straight from the mercedes MD's cheque book.......I rate Kovalainen very very highly, his latter half of his F1 season, F3 and GP2 performances are just too good to miss out on......and being finnish he will fit in a treat at McLaren.......I have 20 quid that says he will be alongside Hamilton next year

Renault are going to regret taking piquet and his dad.......they are bad news........lets be honest, Fernando is bad enough
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:13 (Ref:2085635)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is Heikki still managed by Flav?
if so i cant see Ron willing to fork over cash for a driver if he knows some of that money is going to directly end up in Flav's pockets. it would be funny of course
personally im surprised Renault was able to come up with $50 mill a year which is being reported and it is also said the contract contains an exit clause and number 1 status...certainly an indicator Renault is in F1 for the next few years at least.
and of course a big congrats to NP.Jr.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:14 (Ref:2085640)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully this means Heikki is off to Mclaren. It would be shame if he lost his drive based on that Piquet being guarenteed a drive this year.

As for Fernando. Well a return to 'home' for him. A happier season and a fiestier Fernando is what f1 needs.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:29 (Ref:2085660)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
The prodigal son returns...I'm sure they'll fawn over him a sufficient amount to keep him happy. And presumably his management have taken care of all those fiddly little issues like whether or not his team-mate is allowed to beat him.

I'm not surprised by the announcement that Piquet Jr is going to replace Kovalainen - I think Renault were hanging onto Kovalainen in case Alonso decided to go elsewhere, and now they don't need to. The Kovalainen-Briatore situation is an interesting one, though: as manager, Briatore surely has an obligation to find his driver the best seat possible, which is presumably McLaren. But he probably doesn't want Renault's ex-driver in a position to beat Renault's current drivers. It's the sort of conflict of interest you'd think a team manager would want to avoid.

I hope Kovalainen goes to McLaren - I can't think of any other competitive seats that are available right now, and to go somewhere where he won't have a decent crack at wins and podiums would be a waste of his talent.

As for Fisichella...time's up for him. He could test, perhaps, but is he known for his skills in car development? I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in another series, but I think his F1 career is pretty much over.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:30 (Ref:2085661)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Grosjean is French and maybe two Brazilians in the team would be too much.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2085670)   #24
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
if Ron has any sense.......which he has......he will do a deal and buy Kovalianen outright........its been proven in the past, that if Mclaren-Mercedes highlight, and want a certain driver, they will simply buy him, no matter the cost.....
Yea but

1. 2008 isnt necessarily going to be a "shopping without looking at the price tags" sort of season for the team

2. It takes two to tango and if the Toyota rumours are to be belived Kovalainen might simply not want to race for Mclaren. He can make good money and work for a team with potential and unlimited resources, yet be relaxed with no huge expectations, getting a huge "well-done" for every good race he manages. On the other hand Mclaren is the team that prevented Coulthard winning the SEASON-OPENER by team-orders so Kovalainnen might have his concernes.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 15:46 (Ref:2085678)   #25
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
On the other hand Mclaren is the team that prevented Coulthard winning the SEASON-OPENER by team-orders so Kovalainnen might have his concernes.
I may be wrong, but wasn't that an arrangement between Coulthard and Hakkinen, which Coulthard honoured.