Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jan 2008, 05:54 (Ref:2101020)   #76
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought the 2002 edition was a rather nice looking machine, and those since not quite so aesthetically pleasing. This is the least attractive since the since the F310, IMO.

HOWEVER, I will certainly add this is quite utterly irrelevant. All that matters is its relative speed on track.

Nothing else matters.

Last edited by Dutton; 7 Jan 2008 at 05:58.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2101051)   #77
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton

HOWEVER, I will certainly add this is quite utterly irrelevant. All that matters is its relative speed on track.

Nothing else matters.
The F2008 Ferrari is a product of the regulations and therefore a committee design.It's as fast as hopefully it can be,but not as fast as it could be.It certainly isn't as beautiful as it could be relative to cars in the past and regulations in the future will decide its fate,win or lose,even more.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2101085)   #78
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure the Ferrari will be quick, but it's just so ugly.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Jan 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2101229)   #79
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, if we were to count the aero "add-on" parts, Ferrari only have the arrow wings in front of the cockpit and the winglets on the airbox. Otherwise, both teams have the same amount of add-ons, from the winglets on and next to the sidepods to the mini-wings between the rear wheels.

What is different in their aero is down to their details. Ferrari often go for very "strange" cuts on their bargeboard for example, while Mclaren opt for simpler and more sweeping design elements.

But if the past years were any indication, they are usually close in results, although Ferrari traditionally have an edge in aero in fast tracks (but at the expense of greater sensitivity, which affects them more in dirty air while overtaking).
Old 7 Jan 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2101237)   #80
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From what I've seen so far, both Ferrari and Mclaren have some very stunning and some not so stunning details to their car. I like the way Ferrari have mounted the top bit of the front wing to the nose of the car. However, I don't particularly like all the wings and deflectors in front of the sidepods. Mclarens rollbar/air-inlet detail looks stunning, however, I do not like the front wing. The nose of the car looks good!
Old 7 Jan 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2101443)   #81
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi has a cool new tattoo design on his helmet. Reminds me of Schumi's overalls at the RoC...

Old 7 Jan 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2101516)   #82
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
here is a truly excellent video of the shakedown test : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84kyLLSDd8 , very behind the scenes indeed
Old 8 Jan 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2101560)   #83
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Awesome!

Goes good straight out of the crate so to speak.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2101581)   #84
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Blimey, they were all there, weren't they? Great video and a pretty impressive first run, I'd say.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2102000)   #85
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like it's built out of more scaffolding than a construction site.

Not a fan on first viewing!
Old 8 Jan 2008, 23:31 (Ref:2102244)   #86
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, looks like a winner.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2102259)   #87
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Did I hear wheelspin in that video...?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2102262)   #88
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Did I hear wheelspin in that video...?
Yes.

No TC you see.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2102275)   #89
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes we like wheelspin... How did they get their hands on that video?

Last edited by JeremySmith; 9 Jan 2008 at 01:25.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2102362)   #90
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Do you think the high side protection wall will block the vision of the driver during wheel to wheel racing?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2102442)   #91
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
Do you think the high side protection wall will block the vision of the driver during wheel to wheel racing?
I think wheel to wheel racing is a foreign concept to most F1 drivers, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 9 Jan 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2102614)   #92
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I think wheel to wheel racing is a foreign concept to most F1 drivers, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem...
what about the first corner?
Old 9 Jan 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2102644)   #93
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I'm sure the ones worried about the view will just hang back to make sure they're safe.

In all seriousness, though, there's only so high the cockpit sides can go. I can only assume they've thought about the possibility of obscuring the drivers' vision before making them higher and come to the conclusion that it shouldn't be too badly affected. I can't see what more they can do with the cockpit sides though - I don't know whether it's actually possible to give the drivers more head protection than they have now.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2102672)   #94
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if this is the sort of thing they'll have played around with in the simulator - presuming they have a 180 degree field of view display (although they could well not have one), it'd be fairly straightforward to see how it feels for a driver without exposing the ideas on the test track.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2102818)   #95
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think from the top down view it looks a bit evil and the side pod bits look like points to blow your tyres looks a bit like something out of starship troopers.

Doesn't look much different from side tho
Old 9 Jan 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2102873)   #96
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
[...]although Ferrari traditionally have an edge in aero in fast tracks (but at the expense of greater sensitivity, which affects them more in dirty air while overtaking).
Traditionally? I suppose where one draws a line is the thing, but I am not sure it could exactly be called traditional.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2103071)   #97
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think the Ferrari approach to a car launch is the right one...Simple straight a head and minimum fuss...I like the nose of the car so far...
Old 10 Jan 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2103365)   #98
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it' not that bad... and the point is not being beautiful at all.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2103391)   #99
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Eventually the driver will be completely sealed in and covered over, its heading towards that.

Kindof a Lemans prototype car.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2103791)   #100
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not! I'm not against safety but then it just won't be F1 as far as I'm concerned.