Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Jun 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3425487)   #201
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just happy that Maria has be converted from the junior open wheel classes!
Old 23 Jun 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3425506)   #202
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hindy said during the N24 race that the rest of the season is ELMS coverage and radio only WEC.

As for Nissan, nope didn't bother me. In past years there's been 5 identical interviews with Darren Cox, this year during the race I can only remember one, and that only irritated me because of his insistence the ZEOD was a success, nothing to do with repetition.

You're always going to have to mention it a lot if they are sponsoring a specific part of the show. Being annoyed at hearing "nismo pit lane" would be like being annoyed at hearing "Mobil 1 Radio Le Mans" or "Barclays Premier League".
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3425519)   #203
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Totally agree. I switched off to the advertising after a while and having spent a lot of time with headphones on, I have to say I found the advertising less intrusive than it has seemed previously.....
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3425524)   #204
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing I found off-putting this year from RLM was the hourly update. But that's only because I had the live timing on another monitor, so didn't need Trussers read it for me. I can totally see that being useful for those at the track. It just gave me a chance to listen to the Fox Sports broadcast a few minutes each hour.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3425529)   #205
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
I can totally see that being useful for those at the track.
Take it from me, for those without internet and a handy app, it was very important. And Le Mans just wouldn't be Le Mans without 'She Sells Sanctuary' every hour.......
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3425530)   #206
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
The only thing I found off-putting this year from RLM was the hourly update. But that's only because I had the live timing on another monitor, so didn't need Trussers read it for me. I can totally see that being useful for those at the track. It just gave me a chance to listen to the Fox Sports broadcast a few minutes each hour.
The hourly update is for people at the track really, however I was watching and listening at home again this year and I did find it useful while dipping in and out of the coverage while doing other things.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3425531)   #207
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Do you remember what the track looks like these days Rob....?
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3425536)   #208
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Take it from me, for those without internet and a handy app, it was very important. And Le Mans just wouldn't be Le Mans without 'She Sells Sanctuary' every hour.......
One of the soundsystems on the campsite down at Maison Blanche on Thursday morning started playing "She Sells Sanctuary" right after they turned it on.

As for the hourly update, it's invaluable at the track, the position rundowns on the giant screens can still only be seen clearly through a telephoto lens, and if you miss a few hours cowering for warmth in your tent, it's the best way of catching back up to the race.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3425542)   #209
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only repetition that I experienced were the features such as the one about oil (Mobil1, I assume) they played between the live sessions.

Back in the day we used to have RLM playing in the campsite, listening to their dreadful music selections, but these days we only listened in the car.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3425552)   #210
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Even with internet, handy app, the Michelin tower and the screens I love to hear the hourly update and like this year, be surprised with the ranking. It's part of the LM experience.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3425613)   #211
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The most intrusive thing on RLM this year, was the Football World Cup updates!
There where no change in them through the entire race - and had 0 relevance for me, and therefor just became an annoying break in the coverage.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3426284)   #212
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no complaints.
Have to compliment them on a great service.
The hourly run-down is part of the framework of the LM experience. Wouldn't be without it and as a catch up after a couple of hours away eating/ sheltering it is brilliant. Only comment would be it might not be necessary at the first "bottom of the hour".
Old 25 Jun 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3426290)   #213
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I to think the updates are essential, before RLM i remember all the brits hanging about under the speakers listening to the english announcements at 20 minutes past the hour, but as always you could only hear it if no cars were going past at that moment
Old 25 Jun 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3426329)   #214
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The most intrusive thing on RLM this year, was the Football World Cup updates!
There where no change in them through the entire race - and had 0 relevance for me, and therefor just became an annoying break in the coverage.
I was very grateful for them. Even though I wasn't at Le Mans, I couldn't watch the matches but I still wanted to know the results. There's enough of a crossover between sportscar (Le Mans) fans and football (World Cup) fans to warrant the updates.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3426351)   #215
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I was very grateful for them. Even though I wasn't at Le Mans, I couldn't watch the matches but I still wanted to know the results. There's enough of a crossover between sportscar (Le Mans) fans and football (World Cup) fans to warrant the updates.
I dislike football, but have to agree on one thing, it looks like the fans have the same experience/atmosphere we have among each other. With no 'violence' despite who you support, very different in comparisation to the fans of the local football clubs. Couldn't care less about the resuls though.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3426356)   #216
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I dislike football, but have to agree on one thing, it looks like the fans have the same experience/atmosphere we have among each other. With no 'violence' despite who you support, very different in comparisation to the fans of the local football clubs.
Well said. There's definitely merit in getting out of the tribal environment [club] football finds itself in and experiencing it with a new but relatable audience, be it at La Sarthe, Wimbledon, Headingley*, wherever.

*That loss hurt. One ball away from an amazing draw
Old 25 Jun 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3426363)   #217
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The world cup updates don't bother me, it's only once every four years, and it's not like they took 30 minutes each...

RLM had quality coverage again this year, and I applaud them. I have zero complaints.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Jun 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3426685)   #218
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we're doing constructive criticism - there were times in the week when I thought a couple of the pit reporters could have been better prepared/researched.

Some guys like Jeremy Shaw and Nick Daman are class acts. But in some other cases it just felt like they could have done slightly better.

Asking a driver who is making his fourth consecutive start in the event whether he's been here before isn't ideal. There were a few instances like that.

It's a minor gripe really but there's always room for improvement. Loved RLM and would have been lost without it really.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:42 (Ref:3426730)   #219
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i suppose in their defence it takes a couple of years of serious watching to build up the kind of background knowledge many fans have. you can't just put that kind of stuff on a crib sheet, expect them to get on with it AND ask challenging questions.

that's why the radio le mans commentators work. years of watching as both fans and with the journalists eye means they know the sport inside out.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3426747)   #220
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I only dive in and out of RLM during LeMans for that reason. If it isn't the WC this year, ; it was the clumsily choreographed Nissan splurges last year - which in fairness seemed to have been more streamlined and better integrated into the broadcast this year. The level of detail they go into is unnecessary for me, I prefer to examine the timing screens myself and have a more relaxing experience. I appreciate their approach is tailored to towards the particular needs of both the niche audience and the on-track fan.

What I'm saying doesn't apply for me for any other race that they do and those other broadcasts for the rest of the year suit me pretty well.
Old 12 Jul 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3433239)   #221
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Could it be an exclusivity issue? What if the ACO want RLM to work for them and them only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
hypothetically, if that was the case and the aco are bankrolling a service then they'd be fully within their rights to ask for exclusivity... after all, if they've paid for people to attend the event and are paying them to produce content for the series then it's their right to dictate what is done with that content.

nissan work towards a different goal when they sponsor a service. it's part of promoting a brand, lifestyle and attitude. the aco have no brand, lifestyle and attitude to promote, just a business to run.
Think about this: RLM has always said that it will be free and universal: no charging and no geoblocking.

That's why the TUSC coverage is a non-starter: MRN has exclusive radio rights in North America, so RLM could only have the rest of the world. (TUSC and MRN effectively have the same owners, the France family, so that situation isn't likely to change unless someone comes up with a clever way to work around the contract).

The ACO is charging for its app, and probably didn't want the same content available elsewhere. We don't know what commentary the ACO will be using from COTA onwards. It may be that RSL is providing them with a different commentary, or it may be Andrew Marriott again.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3439931)   #222
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't have a problem with the placement ads whatsoever. Like the fact that manufactures are interested in Le Mans. And if it helps RLM - I'm all for it
Old 30 Jul 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3440030)   #223
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
If we have to have cheesy adverts to keep RLM then so be it
Old 30 Jul 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3440181)   #224
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Exactly so. I was at Le Mans and listened to a hell of a lot of the coverage and must have heard the 'eat, sleep, race, repeat' thing a hundred times or more, but did I really notice it after the first few times, no. Lets just recognise how lucky we are to have it and hope it continues.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3440220)   #225
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
It is like living next to a railway, at some point you don't hear the trains passing by anymore.
Keep up the good work RLM.