Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Mar 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3376890)   #1
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Teammate battles

I would like to start a thread where the forum can discuss (argue more likely) who the best driver from the same team performed best (not necessarily scored the most points) after every Grand Prix. This would include qualifying and race. By the end of the season we can establish who took honors. We don't have to include every team for every Grand Prix but I believe this year there are some fascinating team pairings that are closely matched. I am sure we can start by some forecasting before the first Grand Prix.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3377218)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
OK, I'll have a stab at this one - over the course of the season:

Red Bull: Vettel - not a tricky one. He is the teams chosen one and is Riccardo as good as Webber? Not convinced.

Mercedes: Hamilton - tricky one this, Lewis is the quicker driver but Rosberg may be better suited to the rules. Should be close.

Ferrari: Alonso - as much as I'd prefer kimi to be faster I think Alonso will take this. Although there could be some tantrums along the way if the car isn't quick (and there were rumblings during testing that the Ferrari was a bit slow).

Lotus: Grosjean - Maldonado is just too much of a headcase.

McLaren: Button - again I think this will be very close, Magnussen has been pretty impressive in testing but Button will just shade it.

Force India: Hulkenburg - Force India have got a good pairing and seemingly a decent car, another well matched pair but the Hulk to edge it.

Sauber: Sutil - pretty uninspiring lineup at Sauber but Sutil should come out on top.

Williams: Massa - the Williams looks to be a half decent car (from what little we can work out from testing) and Massa appears to be up for it.

Torro Rosso: Vergne - Can count himself unlucky not to have got the promotion to the senior team, he should comfortably beat Kyvat.

Marussia: Bianchi - simply because he's not Max Chilton, anybody would be better than Max Chilton (even Tom Chilton!?).

Caterham: Kobayashi - great to see Kobayashi back and he shouldn't have any problems seeing off Ericsson.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3377237)   #3
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pretty much spot on for me. The only one I would switch is Force India. Based on testing I reckon Perez has managed to adapt to the new cars better than Hulkenburg has, but it'll be close
Old 10 Mar 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3377238)   #4
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
My Thought:
Red Bull. Vettel in charge while Ricciardo will surprise by the years end at how close he is to Vettel in speed but not in points.

Lotus: Grosjean is better than Maldonado but Maldonado may have his day(s). If they get some reliability Grosjean should outscore Maldonado 2:1, probably more.

Williams: Mass will outscore Bottas but Bottas will be less than 20 points off him if both have a reasonable run with reliability. Bottas is a coming man.

Ferrari: Close on pure speed but Alonso still may be the man ahead at years end. Kimi will either relax into supporting role or take it to him at every opportunity in the first half of the year... but if he is consistently down on him he won't push that hard at the tail of the championship

McLaren: Button in charge at the beginning but on the years points Magnussen may upset him. There will be less than 20 points in it at years end, depending on reliability.

Force India: One of the most engaging teams to watch. Hulkenberg would appear to top out the pair based on 2013 but the last year wasn't kind to Perez. I think he will run Hulkenberg close, and I will not be surprised if the year ends with Perez on top in points, although I think Hulkenberg is still likely to be the most highly regarded.

Caterham: Kobayashi will be way ahead of Ericsson over the year but both may score points.

Marussia: Bianchi no question but with the reliability issue anything is possible....

Sauber: Sutil should take it on experience but his teammate will surprise so its close.

Totto Rosso: Vergne probably overall, again on experience. I think with the technical side Kyvat will struggle a bit, especially early on.

Mercedes: Hamilton the fastest and the most spectacular in races but end of year Rosberg on top by five or ten points... its that close. Rosberg's reputation may be considerably enhanced by years end at Hammy's expense

Last edited by Teretonga; 10 Mar 2014 at 22:48.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3377240)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
This thread is too broad to cover the subject, shouldn't the team mates should be covered under their own threads?
Old 10 Mar 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3377244)   #6
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
As per BertMk2, except at Sauber I expect Perez to come out on top, at Torro Rosso I think Kyvat will be on a par with Vergne, and Manusson will soon become quicker than Button, but with less total points.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3377248)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This thread is too broad to cover the subject, shouldn't the team mates should be covered under their own threads?
Not too broad, just opinion about how the year will pan out. Anything can happen, especially this year. Its not a prediction contest.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3377267)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Not too broad, just opinion about how the year will pan out. Anything can happen, especially this year. Its not a prediction contest.
</P>

Not what the original poster seemed to have in mind.

I would like to start a thread where the forum can discuss (argue more likely) who the best driver from the same team performed best (not necessarily scored the most points) after every Grand Prix. This would include qualifying and race. By the end of the season we can establish who took honors. We don't have to include every team for every Grand Prix but I believe this year there are some fascinating team pairings that are closely matched. I am sure we can start by some forecasting before the first Grand Prix.

But the way everyone seems to be interpreting the thread; name clarification maybe?

Last edited by wnut; 11 Mar 2014 at 00:28.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3377268)   #9
wnut
Veteran

Double post ??!!
Old 11 Mar 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3377277)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
As per BertMk2, except at Sauber I expect Perez to come out on top, at Torro Rosso I think Kyvat will be on a par with Vergne, and Manusson will soon become quicker than Button, but with less total points.
Unlikely as Pérez isn't at Sauber...
Old 11 Mar 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3377287)   #11
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I would like to start a thread where the forum can discuss (argue more likely) who the best driver from the same team performed best (not necessarily scored the most points) after every Grand Prix. This would include qualifying and race.
Why not just use this one? we can keep commenting on this thread throughout the year as the races go.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:21 (Ref:3377309)   #12
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Why not just use this one? we can keep commenting on this thread throughout the year as the races go.
I just figured one thread containing the minutiae of Vettel Ricciardo, Rosberg Hamilton, Button Magnussen, Massa Bottas, Vergne Kvyat, Alonso Raikkonnen, etc. etc.

May just be a little stretched and disjointed.

Old 11 Mar 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3377352)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Red Bull - I think Vettel will be significantly superior. I'm curious to know how Ricciardo will fare in comparison to Webber. I reckon he'll be as fast on occasion and eventually perhaps more consistent, but will usually lag behind. If the car is fast, 1-2 finishes may be the order of the day, though.

Mercedes - close again. Rosberg will be in with a shout of the championship, but I think with a title to chase, Hamilton will up his level, so it will be less even than last year was many times.

Ferrari - the one that is the most fascinating and with the most potential for a storm. Both were not at their best in qualifying last year. I think ultimately Alonso will win out on wins and pace, but there will be many occasions when Raikkonen beats him.

Lotus - Grosjean. A quicker driver. Maldonado will have flashes of speed (usually when rolling backwards as other drivers go past) and Romain will relax into it all much more. If the car is dodgy/ unreliable, Maldonado won't lose his head, because he doesn't have one.

McLaren - I know so little of Magnussen, I cannot make any kind of informed statement. Presumably if McLaren thought Kevin was quicker than Perez (there weren't commercial decisions in this driver selection, I think), Magnussen will give Button a real hard time on points. If the car is very driveable, though, Button stands a good chance of beating him.

Force India - Sergio will have his moments, but Hulkenberg will generally be much better. This might be the first uneven Force India pairing for a while.

Sauber - Sutil. Gutierrez will probably reach his peak quite early. But I've always thought Sutil mediocre by F1 standards, so they won't be that unequal.

Williams - this is a real test for Massa. Did Alonso just mess with his head? If Massa beats Bottas very convincingly, it will probably show that he did.

Toro Rosso - Kyvat, if he's as good as the hype. I've never been convinced by Vergne's consistency.

Marussia - Bianchi, significantly. The most dominant superiority, unless it could just be..

Caterham - Kobayashi at Caterham. Will be much quicker than Ericsson.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3377375)   #14
wnut
Veteran

I am really itching to see how Magnussen does!
He is the first young driver who seems to have been promoted into a top team on talent alone since Vettel and before that Hambo.

Hopefully it has been worth the wait!

Ricciardo and Kvyat should also be interesting.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 17:33 (Ref:3377456)   #15
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull: Whether Red Bull can actually reach the end of a race is a point, but generally Vettel will be far too strong for Ricciardo this season.

Mercedes: If the car is the class of the field early on then it could be a championship fight between these two. They are very evenly matched for me. By seasons end I would still think Lewis will edge out Nico.

Ferrari: Not sure about Ferrari personally. If the car and engine are good, then both could be title contenders. I would see Alonso edging Raikkonen just but its the closest and most interesting line up on the grid. It could be epic. You really have to hope they are both in with a title shout. It would be historic if these two are fighting to the end. No chance of team orders this season.

Lotus: If its as bad as it looks, then the season will be terrible for Lotus. Maldonado might be fast at times but Grosjean will beat him over the season.

McLaren: Must be a better car than 2013, so I would expect a few podiums at least, but with Mercedes power they might have better results. Button should outscore Magnussen this season.

Force India: Could be a great season for Force India with Mercedes power, Perez is a good driver, but Hulkenberg I believe deserves a chance in a top car, maybe this is a chance to earn that drive once and for all. Hulkenberg has the class to over power Perez over a season, but Sergio could get some decent results.

Williams: I cant believe they will be as fast as testing, but I hope they are and wow if they are, it could be awesome. Massa might benefit from a new team and should be the team leader. It will be a good chance to see Bottas against a renowned team mate.

Sauber: I feel it could be another poor season for Sauber, but who knows. They seem to have been under the radar. Cant call the battle. Maybe Sutils experience will win out.

Toro Rosso: Poor season incoming and two not particularly inspiring drivers. Vergne will win out, really not sure about Kyvat.

Marussia: Marussia seem to have a bit more promise than last seasons, but reliability will be key. With other teams braking down it could be that Marussia gets some points.
Bianchi will be stronger than Chilton again.

Caterham: Kobayashi to trash Ericcson and maybe just maybe a point in the season.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3377494)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, guys. What do you want ? To add a fifth thread every gp weekend with the teammate battles or a fixed one where it can be discussed their evolution throughout the season ? Schummi already puts stats about teammate battles every season.

I think we can get Schummi's stats as a starting point, but the choice is yours to take.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3377504)   #17
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
OK, I'll have a stab at this one - over the course of the season:

Red Bull: Vettel - not a tricky one. He is the teams chosen one and is Riccardo as good as Webber? Not convinced.

I think the rule/tech changes clean-ish sheet will equalize things at Red Bull somewhat and give Ricciardo more of a chance to impress. No, of course I don't think he will beat Vettel but I expect him to improve on Webbers effort of last year.. IF.. he has an equal number of reliability issues as Seb

Mercedes: Hamilton - tricky one this, Lewis is the quicker driver but Rosberg may be better suited to the rules. Should be close.

Totally agree, if the new regs/rules/ don't penalise Hamiltons aggressive style too much (ie; fuel consumption and reliability) I expect him to have the upper hand.

Ferrari: Alonso - as much as I'd prefer kimi to be faster I think Alonso will take this. Although there could be some tantrums along the way if the car isn't quick (and there were rumblings during testing that the Ferrari was a bit slow).

Agreed, although I do expect Kimi to take a lot of points off Fernando. This is another very interesting one with a huge potential for fireworks. Will Kimi stay the whole season if he is treated like a number 2? I'll be watching this one very closely!

Lotus: Grosjean - Maldonado is just too much of a headcase.

Agreed, Grosjean has been through a very flaky patch recently but has somewhat redeemed himself with some very impressive performances last year but this pairing has the potential for real fireworks especially when they qualify close to each other on the grid... so I'll be watching this one with interest. Pastor may bring the much required money but Perez would have been a much better option

McLaren: Button - again I think this will be very close, Magnussen has been pretty impressive in testing but Button will just shade it.

I'm not convinced Button will have the upper hand here, based on nothing other than how highly he is regarded at McLaren and a gut feeling.. I have a sneaky suspicion Magnusson may shock a lot of us and edge it!

Force India: Hulkenburg - Force India have got a good pairing and seemingly a decent car, another well matched pair but the Hulk to edge it.

Yes, agreed.

Sauber: Sutil - pretty uninspiring lineup at Sauber but Sutil should come out on top.

Agreed

Williams: Massa - the Williams looks to be a half decent car (from what little we can work out from testing) and Massa appears to be up for it.

Based on his performances last year I expect Bottas to push Massa all the way with only Fellipes huge experience ensuring he ends the season above his team mate.

Torro Rosso: Vergne - Can count himself unlucky not to have got the promotion to the senior team, he should comfortably beat Kyvat.

Yes

Marussia: Bianchi - simply because he's not Max Chilton, anybody would be better than Max Chilton (even Tom Chilton!?).

Agreed,

Caterham: Kobayashi - great to see Kobayashi back and he shouldn't have any problems seeing off Ericsson.
Yes, I expect he should easily walk it but it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the trials and tribulations of what is likely to be bottom end of the grid car.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3377556)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The poll starts now and closes by the weekend.

And if the final choice should be the 2nd or 3rd, I would like candidates to maintain the information.

Last edited by Bononi; 11 Mar 2014 at 21:23.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3377746)   #19
FFSM
Rookie

FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull: Seems an obvious, but their reliability issues could make the waters slightly more murky. But I'm still saying Vettel.

Mercedes: Hamilton all the way. I like Nico but I don't think he's in the same class - might be quicker on the day occasionally but Hamilton's consistency will win out.

Ferrari: I'm going for Kimi. Bound to be a degree of rivalry between him and Fernando, will be interesting to see how that goes.

Lotus: Should be Grosjean all the way, but repair bills might win this one.

McLaren: Magnussen. Button is as sterile as as eunuch, unless it rains a little bit, then stops, then rains again. For the whole race.

Force India: Perez. If he can recapture his "thang" that was stifled at McLaren, I think he can bother the front runners. Hulks too unpredictable for my liking.

Sauber: Sutil. bit of a no-brainer. Gutierrez is only marginally more talented than an Aardvark would be behind the wheel of an F1 car.

Williams: Massa could be the surprise package of the year. Would love to see Williams back at the right end of the grid. Bottas has flashes of brilliance but needs to up his level of consistency. Can't see him beating Felipe.

Torro Rosso: I think Vergne he has some speed in him. I'd have had him at RB instead of Ricciardo tbh. Never heard of Kyvat before he was announced so a bit of an unknown quantity.

Marussia: Do we even need to discuss this? Actually, yes... the Chilton racing dynasty has previous of faster team mates being ordered to slow down, so "Spawn of Grahame" can beat them. If Max can get closer to Jules this year I wouldn't bet against that happening. That said, I'm not expecting him to. In a race featuring Gutierrez, an Aardvark and Chilton I'd still expect Max to be lapped twice.

Caterham: Good to see the yash back and I think he'll have the measure of Ericsson.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3377914)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i went for none of the above as i like current framework.

the driver pairings that deserve discussion get their own threads and the overall comparisons thread is saved for when Schummi (if he is still willing of course) offers up statistical analysis to give that thread direction.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3377926)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

I haven't voted in any way as I am happy with what we have and it all seems too contrived for me.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3377986)   #22
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i went for none of the above as i like current framework.

the driver pairings that deserve discussion get their own threads and the overall comparisons thread is saved for when Schummi (if he is still willing of course) offers up statistical analysis to give that thread direction.

This is my preference too! Well put chillibowl!
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3380475)   #23
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

JEV showed today why I think he could very well be dropped at the end of the year. There is no excuse for a guy in his 3rd season to throw away two positions with driving errors that not even a rookie would make.

Very poor drive today, though still beat hom his rookie team mate...just. But seriously dont get the fuss around Jev. Seems every 3-4 quali session she makes a mistake and drops out in Q1. In tennis speak the guy simply has too many doubt faults in his game