Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 30 Nov 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4135554)   #476
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
What an unbelievable drama. If one thought the French couldn't make a bigger mess of things...

So, the only way to have any chance for campsite tickets, will be the 5th of December, starting at 10 in the morning?
Old 30 Nov 2022, 12:05 (Ref:4135557)   #477
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
What an unbelievable drama. If one thought the French couldn't make a bigger mess of things...

So, the only way to have any chance for campsite tickets, will be the 5th of December, starting at 10 in the morning?
It seems that way. Another good example of the shambles is that there are still packages showing as for sale on the ticketing page, but when you click on them, they say they're sold out. Expo parking came up again when I looked out of curiosity this morning, but although it showed they were available, when you pressed the button, it said they weren't.

None of us really have any idea about next week, whether the ACO have held anything back for the general public nor what the agencies are getting. But it seems from the Just Tickets response that they are expecting to be significantly disappointed.

So what have the ACO done and what use are they making of the very large areas (e.g. all of bleu and blanc) that they have taken away? It has to be some kind of corporate provision. Over the last 10-15 years large areas have been taken away for the likes of Audi and Porsche and with manufacturers returning, I can only assume that they've told the ACO we'll give you big pots of euros but we want a lot of space from you. All the while, the real supporters of the race - for many of us over many, many years - get shafted.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 12:28 (Ref:4135562)   #478
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder how many tickets Peugeot are getting?

As many as they want would be my guess.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4135563)   #479
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley Verity View Post
Wonder how many tickets Peugeot are getting?

As many as they want would be my guess.
Audi built a whole hotel a few years ago now, I wouldn't mind betting that blanc and bleu are destined for a similar use. Which probably means they'll never be available to us again....
Old 30 Nov 2022, 12:38 (Ref:4135564)   #480
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If tickets sell out to members, than in my opinion there should be nothing available for general public, if so, I feel even more disapointed.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 12:40 (Ref:4135565)   #481
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Audi built a whole hotel a few years ago now, I wouldn't mind betting that blanc and bleu are destined for a similar use. Which probably means they'll never be available to us again....
And that’s even before the rest turn up in ‘24, Alpine will want whatever Peugeot have had
Old 30 Nov 2022, 13:04 (Ref:4135567)   #482
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
A good walk..... BSJ is an awfull long walk from anything.

I still try to think I'm lucky to have a pitch AND full week.

ACO should come with a apology and explanation for people to understand the mess they created.
Positives for BSJ:

Security on gate has stepped up and onsite - haven't seen grass track, figure of 8s and donuts on site in last 4 years or so, nor heard empty gas cyclinders on BBQs. Thought Bleu Nord was noisier with more all night discos and fireworks a few years back.

Porsche curves viewing bank- inside track and great view over fences etc.

it's not far from Karting gate, and compared to walking around inside track etc its not too much extra - plus walking back after race is quicker than cars/buses

Drive through it alot to Lycian site- seems to be more facilities on main part of campsite (2/3rds or so on right). Campervans in field closest to Porsche curves viewing bank and limited toilets/showers next to viewing bank. Can walk in/out by path by next to allotments (comes out by track bridge over D92).

two fields next closest to Porsche curves normally much quieter - not sure on facilities. Campers in forest like hazard tape and very large pitches

quite a few buses from roundabout by entrance and little train thing going up & down to/from Techno park and tram entrance.

Bar near entrance roundabout and a few food vendors inside (400 m or so into site)

Farmers track access block does mean it's now (2022 and last few years) a U shaped site and road and foot access to Porsche curves bank goes down to bottom/south of site and back up through forest on track. Cars of campers close to track (dotted line) get very dusty and if you drive in and out a bit it can be a pain especially with a bit of rain as it's like a mile of rallycross each way. It can also be 1km or so walk to the entrance from southern end of site

they seem to show people on arrival where to go by leading them out on bikes after gate.

will try and post my mark up of site on satellite map.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 14:16 (Ref:4135575)   #483
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think people should not panic yet, due to the shambles of the aco sale and people worried about getting anything, i am sure people have bought what they can on the site and if they then get stuff from the agencies there should be many spares for sale once the dust has settled.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4135576)   #484
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe this is the view from Porsche Curves TD to the BSJ area?
Attached Thumbnails
52147414197_c36b8a36e3_c.jpg  
Old 30 Nov 2022, 14:38 (Ref:4135579)   #485
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i think people should not panic yet, due to the shambles of the aco sale and people worried about getting anything, i am sure people have bought what they can on the site and if they then get stuff from the agencies there should be many spares for sale once the dust has settled.
Fingers crossed that the agencies are able to meet their orders....
Old 30 Nov 2022, 14:41 (Ref:4135580)   #486
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post

Only if the ACO have kept some back from Members, If not then there won't be any on sale anyway. And if they have there will be some very annoyed members.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 14:48 (Ref:4135582)   #487
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Indeed so. When you decide to cut back on facilities for the paying spectators - seemingly quite dramatically - for the most eagerly awaited event for years, you must surely appreciate that you're going to create a lot of problems, and possibly drive people away from your event....
Old 30 Nov 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4135584)   #488
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
Positives for BSJ:

Security on gate has stepped up and onsite - haven't seen grass track, figure of 8s and donuts on site in last 4 years or so, nor heard empty gas cyclinders on BBQs. Thought Bleu Nord was noisier with more all night discos and fireworks a few years back.

Porsche curves viewing bank- inside track and great view over fences etc.

it's not far from Karting gate, and compared to walking around inside track etc its not too much extra - plus walking back after race is quicker than cars/buses

Drive through it alot to Lycian site- seems to be more facilities on main part of campsite (2/3rds or so on right). Campervans in field closest to Porsche curves viewing bank and limited toilets/showers next to viewing bank. Can walk in/out by path by next to allotments (comes out by track bridge over D92).

two fields next closest to Porsche curves normally much quieter - not sure on facilities. Campers in forest like hazard tape and very large pitches

quite a few buses from roundabout by entrance and little train thing going up & down to/from Techno park and tram entrance.

Bar near entrance roundabout and a few food vendors inside (400 m or so into site)

Farmers track access block does mean it's now (2022 and last few years) a U shaped site and road and foot access to Porsche curves bank goes down to bottom/south of site and back up through forest on track. Cars of campers close to track (dotted line) get very dusty and if you drive in and out a bit it can be a pain especially with a bit of rain as it's like a mile of rallycross each way. It can also be 1km or so walk to the entrance from southern end of site

they seem to show people on arrival where to go by leading them out on bikes after gate.

will try and post my mark up of site on satellite map.
Thank you, sounds 'good'
Old 30 Nov 2022, 15:22 (Ref:4135586)   #489
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess the ACO did a cost per square metre analysis and figured it was better to remove the camping/parking and better to add in whatever they are adding in.

Thinking about it there isn't currently room for all manufacturers to activate at the level we've seen from Toyota/Audi in the current era. Even what Peugeot had this year was more modest but still takes up space. So I wonder if different areas will suddenly become display areas and obviously hosting space for VIPs.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 15:50 (Ref:4135588)   #490
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I would not want to be the agents at the moment, how do you allocate the camping they have been given and how do you choose who gets nothing, likely to **** almost everyone off.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4135589)   #491
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I guess the ACO did a cost per square metre analysis and figured it was better to remove the camping/parking and better to add in whatever they are adding in.

Thinking about it there isn't currently room for all manufacturers to activate at the level we've seen from Toyota/Audi in the current era. Even what Peugeot had this year was more modest but still takes up space. So I wonder if different areas will suddenly become display areas and obviously hosting space for VIPs.
ACO doing a cost analysis?
Old 30 Nov 2022, 16:09 (Ref:4135590)   #492
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I’ve got a question for the ACO members here, particularly those who have been a member for quite a few years. It comes after a conversation with a guy on FB who has been a member for 28 years. He tells me that as a long standing member, his allocation is automatically reserved by the ACO each year. This is kind of new to me as I’ve rarely needed to buy tickets direct myself (although I know that James always seemed to get much the same allocation for us each year) but having heard Pascal talk of being bumped parking-wise from Blanc and someone on CA having a place in Epinette confirmed before yesterday, I just wonder how this works and how many long-term members are effectively given ‘first dibs’ by the ACO - and indeed…. why? The guy maintains that he knows at least 20 people who have been treated the same by the ACO. I’m trying to work out in my mind whether I think this is fair or unfair….. It rewards loyalty, which is a good thing, but at a time when availability is far more limited than before is it right to do this while other ACO members are scrambling to try and buy tickets and in many instances, failing to do so.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Nov 2022 at 16:15.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4135592)   #493
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I’ve got a question for the ACO members here, particularly those who have been a member for quite a few years. It comes after a conversation with a guy on FB who has been a member for 28 years. He tells me that as a long standing member, his allocation is automatically reserved by the ACO each year. This is kind of new to me as I’ve rarely needed to buy tickets direct myself (although I know that James always seemed to get much the same allocation for us each year) but having heard Pascal talk of being bumped parking-wise from Blanc and someone on CA having a place in Epinette confirmed before yesterday, I just wonder how this works and how many long-term members are effectively given ‘first dibs’ by the ACO - and indeed…. why? The guy maintains that he knows at least 20 people who have been treated the same by the ACO. I’m trying to work out in my mind whether I think this is fair or unfair….. It rewards loyalty, which is a good thing, but at a time when availability is far more limited than before is it right to do this while other ACO members are scrambling to try and buy tickets and in many instances, failing to do so.
I have a couple of friends who get automatic allocation each year, again they are long term members, for one of them it's about having the same seats in the ACO grandstand every year.
Personally I'm not bothered either way, both friends would be going anyway so it's not like they are getting something they wouldn't want.
It obviously goes back a long way and is probably more obvious now that we can book directly via the website. Prior to that I used to just send an email asking for the usual and they would respond with an invoice.
From an ACO point of view it's an almost guaranteed income (and fewer annoyed Members) and from a Members point of view it saves the mad scramble these days.

I have no idea how they copy with it from an admin point of view, knowing the ACO it's probably an old book with handwritten details in it!

PS - I am an ACO Member
Old 30 Nov 2022, 16:50 (Ref:4135595)   #494
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
I know of one large private group getting a certain amount of pitches every year. It is big bucks with little work. Is it fair..... No.
Would I accept it, Yes.
I know I don't get it, only a member for 9 years. Would I be upset if it happened on large scale, Yes.
First come first serve is fair, it feels like getting tickets for a concert of the Rolling Stones.
Looking at the history of LM where having tickets are very often combined with camping it seems /stupid to have separate dates for that.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 17:20 (Ref:4135599)   #495
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I believe this is the view from Porsche Curves TD to the BSJ area?
yes looks like Arnage end of Porsche curves banking with the marquee of the Lycian site behind it (that is trackside but before the banking). BSJ motorhome area is leftside behind the banking
Old 30 Nov 2022, 17:45 (Ref:4135603)   #496
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Can you only post images with url links? As struggling to post a phone photo of a printed map with marked up comments?

Good pictures of BSJ are on the 2022 Part 1 video from 27.55 to 28.15 mins when they get pictures from blimp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwpQgDLPV58

from Arnage end of bank you can see down to Porsche bridge and there's some reasonable light as enter Porsche curves

On video
Lycian site is bottom right (rows of uniform tents)

Motorhome bit pretty clear and most of rest of BSJ in shot at 28.12 behind that and top right - entrance top left and a bit more of BSJ off right is not shown (which unfortunately is way to curves)

allotments are behind track where the blue and yellow michelin barrier signage is
Old 30 Nov 2022, 17:46 (Ref:4135604)   #497
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ACO member depuis 1997. Never heard or seen of the automatic allocation but last camped on site since 1997 so that might be why - since then it has been Expo car park pretty much every year. Always booked direct with ACO after the first couple of years - even when we had to fax our requirements and credit card number to them (fax machine at work was so useful ...).

As noted above, Audi used to have their hotel at the back of Expo. Given the likely Euro per sqm I can see why they might prefer that sort of business especially for the centenary year, but we also know the manufacturers won't be back every year as we saw recently. Short term gain trumps long term loyalty ...

Perhaps worth remembering too (whether we like it or not), that what we see as a sport is a very serious and expensive business for some.
Old 30 Nov 2022, 18:04 (Ref:4135608)   #498
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
https://thumbsnap.com/tUXoNYw8
Old 30 Nov 2022, 18:19 (Ref:4135612)   #499
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At this rate, it genuinely looks like me and my party will be unable to go and camp. That essentially rules us out being able to go at all. How have the ACO managed to conjure up this situation?
Old 30 Nov 2022, 18:31 (Ref:4135616)   #500
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i am sure things will get clearer. but then again i have always been too optimistic
Closed Thread