Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1594094)   #1
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault's Rev Limiter

The TV announcers in the States said that Renault had 600 revs to play with if they needed them but kept the limiter on for reliability purposes. Supposedly, they could shave about 1 sec per lap with those revs but have a higher risk of engine failure.

So basically, with heavy fuel and 600 revs to spare, Alonso could still qualify 5th? That doesn't bode well for the other teams...

Also, I believe Alonso mentioned that they turned the rev limiter off while he was pursuing MS at the end of the race. He was shaving > 1 second per lap at one point.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1594095)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I expect they qualified at full revs and turned them down for the race.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1594171)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Imola is almost impossible to overtake for F1, as they say. Kept behind TGF like he was, certainly it could blow the engine if they were at full revs.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1594202)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every engine on the grid has the ability to increase or decrease the max revs in use and you'll find that drivers often turn the dial up/down depending on the situation. Reliability, of course, is a big factor there and that's one of the advantages (perhaps the biggest?) of the rev-limited V10. It's mentioned occasionally in the team quotes after races. I think Ross Brawn mentioned that for Imola they were running their engines at the designed-for max rather than the lower max they'd been using in races thus far.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1594635)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well it appears thats not a problem in the case of the Ferrari. Now that they seem to have this piston problem fixed why not just run them all the way out. I highly doubt however that 600 revs is worth 1second a lap.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1594649)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Slightly off topic, but I could have sworn I saw one of the McLaren's tach reading reach over 20 k and close to 21 k in practice. I wasn't really paying close attention however, so I may well be wrong. Did anyone else observe this?
Old 25 Apr 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1594753)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are you talking about on the steering wheel or on the TV telemtry package because I wouldn't trust the TV version. I bet that the teams are already turning around 21k given that cosworth posted a video of 20k on a test engine before the season even started
Old 25 Apr 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1594776)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah but thos extra 600revs probably makes the engine unreliable. If they could turn it on safely throughout the race im sure they would.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1595034)   #9
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733
are you talking about on the steering wheel or on the TV telemtry package because I wouldn't trust the TV version. I bet that the teams are already turning around 21k given that cosworth posted a video of 20k on a test engine before the season even started
It was the TV version ... and if my eyes weren't deceiving me, it is the first time I have seen revs that high. 19 k seems to be the limit for most teams.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1595389)   #10
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think this explains somewhat honda's qualy pace against race pace as in the race renault can run higher revs for longer (or all race? if they want to) then honda and others
Old 26 Apr 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1595446)   #11
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fuel economy is a big factor in not using max revs for the whole race too. if you can squeeze an extra low fuel lap out after your chief rival has pitted you can gain a good second or more.

hey, who said F1 was unenvironmentally friendly?!
Old 26 Apr 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1595448)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic

hey, who said F1 was unenvironmentally friendly?!
4 miles per gallon isn't much to shout about.