Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Jul 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3840418)   #26
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if you belive Dagys and his reporting, he could have an idea from a builder who actually makes cars and importantly supports said cars.

Walliser says GT2 could be entertaining proposition for Porsche and looks like the appropriately named GT2 RS. Oh wait, is he reading our discussion here: For sure, we have drivers interestingly saying that GT4 is not enough and it’s not glorious enough.

“GT4 should stay small cars, like the Cayman, M4 and Alpine. It’s not downscaled AMGs and R8s. They are GT3.

“It’s logical to have GT2 to have the easiness of running a GT4, with the running costs and everything, with a pure regular car. Running costs would be [reduced] and you have a more powerful car.

“So it’s GT4 for adults.”

And apparently British GT will continue what looks to me to be their tradition of "Run what ya brung, we'll find a space" and have said GT2 could be included. I'll admit I have not watched much British GT but it seems like they have had a history of interesting cars running from what I've watched on the interwebs.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 22:46 (Ref:3840508)   #27
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Ratel is smart. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3840524)   #28
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
GT3 cars cost between £250k-£750k ($330k-$990k) .
Good heavens, that is a spread. Which one goes for $990K?

A Ferrari 812 Superfast goes for $330-340K apparently, but that is a road version. Race prep, even if limited, is going to add a large number to that.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 02:19 (Ref:3840526)   #29
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Good heavens, that is a spread. Which one goes for $990K?

A Ferrari 812 Superfast goes for $330-340K apparently, but that is a road version. Race prep, even if limited, is going to add a large number to that.
That was what i was trying to get at, money + money = more money.

But i'll watch it nonetheless!

and how long until we see pro cars?
Old 1 Aug 2018, 03:51 (Ref:3840534)   #30
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think the Nissan is around $500k US, the Vette was rumored around the same earlier this year. Think I've seen most of the Euro cars in the 400-550 Euros with I think the Ferrari topping the range, not sure who is hitting almost a million though. Well other than the unicorn Caddies but no price bought those so.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 04:38 (Ref:3840535)   #31
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Ratel is smart. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Yes, I think like you.
He has a great passion for GT racing, he has it in his soul, for him it is a great feeling and that does not happen with the rest of the CEOs of IMSA and the ACO. Usually when somebody has this passion, he has better ideas and better things are done.
The next year with the arrival of the new Aston GT3 the V12 engines will be out of GT racing. With this new series he can have the return of some V12s cars and it is fantastic, even if that cars are a bit more expensive.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 06:24 (Ref:3840540)   #32
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

Walliser says GT2 could be entertaining proposition for Porsche and looks like the appropriately named GT2 RS. Oh wait, is he reading our discussion here: For sure, we have drivers interestingly saying that GT4 is not enough and it’s not glorious enough.

“GT4 should stay small cars, like the Cayman, M4 and Alpine. It’s not downscaled AMGs and R8s. They are GT3.
Now I'm wondering if the AMG and the R8 could be adapted to GT2-specs by turning up the power. I'm sure they won't be banned from GT4, but that would really be an easy solution to make cars available for the class.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3840541)   #33
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That was what i was trying to get at, money + money = more money.

But i'll watch it nonetheless!

and how long until we see pro cars?
I can't find the article now, so maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure I read that the Bentley was obscenely expensive. A good $150k more than most.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3840647)   #34
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has some sense, somehow.....

The SRO competitions reached its peak about 3 years ago and the grids are decreasing slowly. There are no problems now, but maybe in the future.... The budget needed on GT3 is starting to be too high and some glentemen drivers flied to LMP3 (...or TCR for the most talented paydrivers). It seems that they are getting back to the origins.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3840700)   #35
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The name is stupidly confusing. Just call it GTSC or something, for GT Super Car. Or GTX. No number, definitely not GT2. That number system makes it seem like a step up from GT3, but they'll actually be slower Can't say this idea is good, at least in naming. Maybe there's some rich guys out there that want to run their expensive toys, but it doesn't make sense to name it GT2 if they're not going to be faster in lap time than GT3. I feel like this will fail as did the mid-late 2000's GT1 sadly.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3840724)   #36
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I’ll reserve judgement on whether the idea is a good one, but the name is plain silly.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3840744)   #37
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I’ll reserve judgement on whether the idea is a good one, but the name is plain silly.

Wait! The name is the correct on. Let it take off and wait one year or two.
Old 1 Aug 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3840762)   #38
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
GT Super?
Old 2 Aug 2018, 04:46 (Ref:3840794)   #39
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good article by John Dagys that deal with many of the GT2 questions.

https://sportscar365.com/features/co...ture-with-gt2/
Old 2 Aug 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3840820)   #40
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Very good article by John Dagys that deal with many of the GT2 questions.

https://sportscar365.com/features/co...ture-with-gt2/
Why are the Aston Martin Vulcan and Porsche 911 GT2 RS targeted? Why would those manufactures build these cars to GT2-regulations? Which is supposed to be slower than GT3, where those manufactures use cars which are a step (s)lower compared to the targeted GT2 cars.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 10:36 (Ref:3840822)   #41
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Why are the Aston Martin Vulcan and Porsche 911 GT2 RS targeted? Why would those manufactures build these cars to GT2-regulations? Which is supposed to be slower than GT3, where those manufactures use cars which are a step (s)lower compared to the targeted GT2 cars.
Surely if the GT2 format is a slight step down from GT3 the right model would be a DBS Superleggera? The Vulcan makes no sense for GT2 as its more in line with GTE
Old 2 Aug 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3840843)   #42
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Well Porsche has already stated the GT2 RS is an interesting car for the GT2 class so that's straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. And it seems like GT2 is about power, power and a little more power. Thus the GT2 RS is a perfect fit for the class over the NA GT3 engine. The Vulcan seems out of place because it is more of an old-school (non-hybrid) hypercar than the rest. Outside of the GT2 RS and a Superleggera Lamborghini (I had forgotten the DBS Superleggera, thanks bcarr for that reminder), I'm not sure what else out there matches the class on the street. Do they think Ferrari is going to build up the new F12 into a racer? Corvette I think uses, or used, the ZR-1 as the GTE car model so making an additional car with the same moniker but now slower? And unless GT2 is guaranteed a spot in WC there's no way P&M are building one. Audi, MB, BMW, Nissan, Bentley are already using their halo car in GT3 (and a couple in GT4) so they're expected to build another car? Although I understand the desire to get the R8 and AMG out of GT4 to GT2, they are not like the rest of the field. And honestly a big(ger) power AMG coupe?? It's a baby Vette with that rumble, of course occasionally AMG seems to have stood for A(merican cars) M(ade by) G(ermans) with their more power than chassis 63 series cars.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 05:30 (Ref:3841000)   #43
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Philosophy doesn't fill grids with cars.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 05:32 (Ref:3841002)   #44
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The name is stupidly confusing. Just call it GTSC or something, for GT Super Car. Or GTX. No number, definitely not GT2. That number system makes it seem like a step up from GT3, but they'll actually be slower Can't say this idea is good, at least in naming. Maybe there's some rich guys out there that want to run their expensive toys, but it doesn't make sense to name it GT2 if they're not going to be faster in lap time than GT3. I feel like this will fail as did the mid-late 2000's GT1 sadly.
Sums up my view pretty well. I suspect this will just spread entries thinner and hurt other series
Old 3 Aug 2018, 08:07 (Ref:3841024)   #45
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It would, and goes against the GT3 customer focus.

However, since they're keeping GT3 and GTE separate they missed a trick. Could've used this to rename everything and have it make sense.

GTE -> GT1
GT3 -> GT2
New GT2 -> GT3
GT4 - GT4

And the new LMP1 stuff could be GTP. Everything would be in 'order'. And IMSA would have GT1 and GT2, which is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Isn't part of the problem with the rather dumb naming (IMO) that Ratel (or SRO) owns the GT2 and GT4 trademark? I read that on a DailySportsCar or Endurance-Info (probably the latter) article a while ago.
There was no mention of him also 'owning' GT1 or GT3.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3841028)   #46
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
In my view it should be GT5. Sure it has more power, but lower aero.

Id like to see a GT1 category return. Its a shame the ACO and SRO can't cooperate and unify rules for the sake of common sense. I see the gap between GT3 and GTE which is now bigger due to the GTE rule changes, but I just shake my head a little bit. I think ground could have been conceded from both sides to unify things, sadly it didnt happen.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3841051)   #47
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In my view it should be GT5. Sure it has more power, but lower aero.

It's supposed to have the same aero as GT4. In my mind, that puts it above GT4 as the cars will be faster.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3841053)   #48
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's obvious. Just call it GT3.5
Old 3 Aug 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3841138)   #49
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Isn't part of the problem with the rather dumb naming (IMO) that Ratel (or SRO) owns the GT2 and GT4 trademark? I read that on a DailySportsCar or Endurance-Info (probably the latter) article a while ago.
There was no mention of him also 'owning' GT1 or GT3.
Because he doesn't own GT3, he promotes it the most but GT3 is FIA property. Think that's part of his strategy, he can dump GT3 later and thinks this will win when GT3 gets to expensive. When is the wrong word, the horse has left the barn, had two more generations, evolved and is now fossils from when GT3 wasn't too expensive.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3841169)   #50
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Veggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
It's obvious. Just call it GT3.5

Forget about the nomenclature today. This is Ratel building the future and showing the middle finger to those idiots in light blue-shirt in Paris.