Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Mar 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2149667)   #26
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Australian roving Sector Marshals wear Orange...other trackside workers including Flaggies wear White, Fire wear Red, Medical Green, Recovery is Lt Blue.
That's in NSW.

Victoria has the Flaggies in White (with blue), Firies are in Red/Yellow if VRFS & Yellow if RACESAFE, Medics are in Yellow if RACESAFE & Green if TMA, Recovery are in Hi Viz Polo shirts & jackets if PIARC and whatever else if not. As for Comm's most just wear civvy's &/or a club shirt as they don't usually set foot on the track itself can get away with it.

SA seems to have specially made Orange & White overalls through SAMROA.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2149946)   #27
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Australian roving Sector Marshals wear Orange...other trackside workers including Flaggies wear White, Fire wear Red, Medical Green, Recovery is Lt Blue.
with a set of marshals like that who needs separate flags? you could wave the marshals instead
Old 12 Mar 2008, 13:30 (Ref:2149978)   #28
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D
Interesting... it is standard practice over here (Canada). We avoid synthetic material, but just wear white cotton (so it does not melt..) Yes, we are trained in frie response, and do respond - general theory is if you are close enough to need fire retardent clothing, you are too close anyway......and if it's that big, you'd better have called for the fire truck before wading in with a bottle.
I agree with the sentiment and if you are aproaching a fire that is fine, but.... if you are at the car which apparently is ok and the fire decides it wants to approach you. You can find yourself in a warm position very quickly and unitentionally. Example the Martin Stretton crash at Goodwood Revival last year in the ISO Bizzarini (spelling). On approach from my angle there was no fire. Moments later large fire, toasty warm bum. Two powder and two foam extringuishers used by other marshals. From crash to fire out 17 seconds, Rescue crew arrived at about 46 seconds ( I had a nice set of photo's sent to me with time stamps) The driver was in no way able to remove himself from the danger of the fire had we not put it.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2150221)   #29
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
From crash to fire out 17 seconds, Rescue crew arrived at about 46 seconds.
See what we can do without the distraction of donuts!
Old 14 Mar 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2151824)   #30
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
I agree with the sentiment and if you are aproaching a fire that is fine, but.... if you are at the car which apparently is ok and the fire decides it wants to approach you. You can find yourself in a warm position very quickly and unitentionally. Example the Martin Stretton crash at Goodwood Revival last year in the ISO Bizzarini (spelling). On approach from my angle there was no fire. Moments later large fire, toasty warm bum. Two powder and two foam extringuishers used by other marshals. From crash to fire out 17 seconds, Rescue crew arrived at about 46 seconds ( I had a nice set of photo's sent to me with time stamps) The driver was in no way able to remove himself from the danger of the fire had we not put it.
Valid point, one which I cannot argue against. But it made me think....

Mostly, unless the car arrives at one's feet, most positions we work one would be hard pressed to reach the car in 17 seconds, let alone put a fire out. Even, probably 1, maybe 2 marshals - 2 fire bottles max (powder, no foam).

Which makes our SOP one of "Assess the situation, Call for Fire Truck, Then use your personal bottle." We train the mindset of your portable bottle is there to save yourself, help the driver, buy time until the fire truck gets there - but not a mindset of putting out a fully ingulfed fire.

Always interesting to compare and contrast the different ways of doing things - that way we can learn
Old 25 Mar 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2161417)   #31
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After reading for several years I have finally registered and this is my first comment, only 5 years after the thread was first posted.

I was fortunate to marshal at the GP in Monaco from 1979 to 2000 (from 1981 at the harbour-side chicane Post 13 or 14) and have continued to return to the F1 GP or the GP Historique as a spectator since then.

At sign-on marshals were issued with overalls, gloves, belt, cap, velcro backed Post number and role (intervention, fire, flag, post chief etc) badges and shoulder epaulettes. The cap, badge and epaulettes were specific to your role, green for intervention, red for fire, yellow for flag and blue for chiefs. Marshals who had distinguished themselves would receive epaulettes with additional pips (I finally achieved this in my final year!) The issue was strictly controlled by the Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) and all equipment except for the cap was returned at the end of the weekend. The ACM had persuaded the FIA that with this control there was no requirement for the tabards worn at all other GPs. Overalls were therefore returned but I seemed to receive the same pair, freshly laundered, each year until they needed replacement.

I do not believe the overalls were fire retardant but they were considered more a uniform than for protection. Also there were regular Monaco firemen (many returning to the same Post each year) who were extremely proficient when called into action in my area.

The numbered helmets were introduced to give better head protection (particularly when marshals were handling cars being picked up by crane) in 2003 to replace the caps as the ACM had seen them used at the GP in Japan in 2002. It also gave a convenient method of individual identification.

Appearance was always important such that there was a plan of how to wear the overalls with location of the badges etc. in your instructions. Long hair and pony tails were not allowed (no chance for the race gypsy) and there were also age limitations - maximum age for new recruits was 35 and at 50 I received the silver bullet and retired. Fitness was also assessed with press-ups and pulse recovery rate....

Before my last race (and whenever a marshal retired) we had a Post celebration with champagne (cooled in the Croix Rouge ice box or in the fridge on a nearby yacht in the harbour) and canapes. Happy memories when you are standing in the cold, wind and snow as we were at Silverstone on Saturday!

JonT