Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Feb 2002, 17:20 (Ref:218986)   #1
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Q? for the rescue unit peeps

Debate raging on Steve's Yahoo board about the usefulness of embroidered Blood Groups.
As an ex blood transfusion worker, (grown up & into transplants now, hence the nik) I reckon it's ******. We'd have been done for professional misconduct at the least if we paid any attention to that sort of thing.
Steve from Goodwood reckons that in his accident having his blood group on him helped save his life.

So, to the point, how much blood does a unit carry and what group/rhesus is it?
or is it all just stuff like Dextran or Hemacell?
Old 20 Feb 2002, 07:20 (Ref:219342)   #2
Muppetrescue
Rookie

Muppetrescue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re bloodgroup

I can only give you the Irish perspective but no rescue unit here has the authority to carry blood and whole blood in the field is generally of very little value unless in a military setting where blood groups are positively id'd and tattoed on the individual.

All rescue's here will carry Haemaccel / Gelofusine or another colloid solution for blood loss. They will also carry crystalloids such as Hartmanns and Normal saline. The storage conditions, shelf life and matching make use of whole blood totally impractical.

With regard to blood groups on overalls we never ever take them at face value as drivers sell / borrow overalls. If it is really serious we may draw a sample for dispatch by police for cross matching but even then a well run A& E will not go with it unless there is continuity of identification of driver and sample.

In short blood groups on overalls here are of little value.

Rescue 1 , fat dumb and happy.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 10:31 (Ref:219357)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
ta

Thanks muppett, thats exactly what I believed the situation would be regarding carrying blood on units. Just never asked any of them before.
It (blood) just is'nt all that useful in an emergency situation when you balance it against it's possible disadvantages.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 10:48 (Ref:219366)   #4
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just posted a reply on Stephen's Yahoo club, the answer for the UK is identical to that for the Irish!

Sadly, I've just looked in a mirror and noticed that even the 'fat dumb and happy' applies!