Old 22 Aug 2013, 11:54 (Ref:3292700)   #1
jamier
Rookie

England
Northampton
jamier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kart Marshalling

Hi,

I am going to be doing my first weekend kart marshaling next month at Wilton Mill.
What should I be expecting? Anything i should look at before i turn up to give me a bit of a start? Any advise?
Old 22 Aug 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3292712)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
  • If it's a short "technical" circuit then expect close racing.
  • Cadets are crazy!!!
  • Keep your wits about you, if a kart comes off at speed it can go anywhere, they are so light.
  • Check the class regulations regarding "assistance", it's pointless exposing yourself (ooer!) to try and get a kart out the gravel / restarted if the class doesn't allow assisted restarts.
  • Drivers have no protection other than a hat and leathers, so they will detach from the kart during high speed incidents, this leaves them vulnerable to serious injury.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3292744)   #3
jamier
Rookie

England
Northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
  • If it's a short "technical" circuit then expect close racing.
  • Cadets are crazy!!!
  • Keep your wits about you, if a kart comes off at speed it can go anywhere, they are so light.
  • Check the class regulations regarding "assistance", it's pointless exposing yourself (ooer!) to try and get a kart out the gravel / restarted if the class doesn't allow assisted restarts.
  • Drivers have no protection other than a hat and leathers, so they will detach from the kart during high speed incidents, this leaves them vulnerable to serious injury.
Thanks for this...sounds like it should be a good weekend (first of many I hope!)
Old 27 Aug 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3294832)   #4
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A long time since I did Kart marshalling but I bet the parents haven't changed a bit.

They can be very aggressive no matter what has happened, so be prepared to deal with them. Stand your ground but keep the "diplomat hat" on!

And I will not comment on whether Mums or Dads are worse.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3296484)   #5
jamier
Rookie

England
Northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
A long time since I did Kart marshalling but I bet the parents haven't changed a bit.

They can be very aggressive no matter what has happened, so be prepared to deal with them. Stand your ground but keep the "diplomat hat" on!

And I will not comment on whether Mums or Dads are worse.
Have read several things describing the very same thing...the pants are a handful...you would have thought something would be done with 'over excited' parents..