Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Jun 2003, 08:42 (Ref:632674)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals Equipment and Attire (Monaco)

Hello to all european Marshals, here is dumb antipodean question #432.

Watching Monaco I noticed that Intervention Marshals had numbered helmets etc All marshals seemed to be kitted out with the same gear including lightweight helmets with visors (optional), orange probans etc. The obvious question is .....are the marshals issued with this gear? Do you keep it for other meetings? signed "Curious Marshal" Canberra, Australia

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 16 Jun 2003 at 08:44.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 22:37 (Ref:633608)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure they get issued, the probans being for keeps, everything else property of ACMonaco. They like it to look tidy in the Principality.

A few years ago at the British GP we were issued with some nice overalls by the RAC. You had to sign a waiver to say they belonged to the RAC, you would wear them each year, not sew patches on, promise to keep them clean, etc. This lasted for three years with 'new' GP marshals getting a set for their first year. Anyway, one guy I know who hated the GP, didn't want to go, had stopped doing it a few years previously figured it was worth one more turn out in order to get said free overalls. Of course, that was the year Fosters took the sponsorship back, and there weren't any issued...
Old 17 Jun 2003, 07:00 (Ref:633814)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It was the three years the RAC were the main sponsor of the GP.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 07:44 (Ref:633847)   #4
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to monaco, I understood that the marshalls in monaco got numbered helmets instead of the nice tabards everybody else has to wear.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 12:14 (Ref:640062)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I'll stick to the Tabards thankyou very much.
Bernie is definately not sticking a number on my helmet
Old 24 Jun 2003, 13:58 (Ref:641473)   #6
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they all look like jaffas
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:48 (Ref:649417)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The marshalls at the Australian GP are issued with a nice pair of overalls, White polyester ones for normal tracksiders and Red or Green for the Firies or Medics.

These are supposed to be handed in at the end of the event and reissued to you for the next year, mind you my pair are now 8 years old and showing signs of wear and tear.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:56 (Ref:649426)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
But are they fire retardant?
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:30 (Ref:649547)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Only the Firies are retard (ergh..ant)
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:40 (Ref:649569)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that that is quite dangerous...all marshals could come into contact with fire and they should all have fire retardant overalls
Old 3 Jul 2003, 02:09 (Ref:650386)   #11
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Indy F1, we get blue cotton overalls that have been dipped in some sort of fire-retardent solution that makes them feel like polyester. Only pit lane & fire marshals get fire retardent tabards at Indy. No helmets either, thank goodness. We have to sign for the suits and turn them over to the track staff at the end of the weekend.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 09:22 (Ref:650565)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Yes the Red and Green versions are wool based but we in White are expendable.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:41 (Ref:650726)   #13
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I right in thinking that at the meetings where you are not desinated as fire (and don't have a pair of fire proof overalls you are not expected to deal with any fire...

EG at the Australian GP if you are a normal trackside marshall you would not put out a fire.

This is different to this country where if you are trackside you are expected to deal with a fire.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:51 (Ref:650846)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Aussie Marshals can be Fire Fighters

Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
Am I right in thinking that at the meetings where you are not desinated as fire (and don't have a pair of fire proof overalls you are not expected to deal with any fire...

EG at the Australian GP if you are a normal trackside marshall you would not put out a fire.

This is different to this country where if you are trackside you are expected to deal with a fire.
There are fire extinguishers at each and every Flag Point here in Oz. It is rare, but there are occaisions when you could be called upon to use them. Generally speaking, if a car started to burn then it would be called in and a fire vehicle might respond. However, if the incident is in a difficult place to get at, and race control is dithering about, etc then the extinguishers are not there for show.

I recall a marshal here fighting a major fire and being burn't for his trouble.

Can we talk about a less scary subject now?
Old 3 Jul 2003, 13:31 (Ref:650893)   #15
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think all track side marshals should have fire retardant overalls (luckily we do) because a few months ago the was a car that pulled off with no obvious problems, driver wasn't sure what was wrong. The marshals started to push it towards the track and BANG it burst into flames, luckily nobody was seriously injured!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 15:53 (Ref:651007)   #16
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PVDA
The marshalls at the Australian GP are issued with a nice pair of overalls, White polyester ones for normal tracksiders and Red or Green for the Firies or Medics.

These are supposed to be handed in at the end of the event and reissued to you for the next year, mind you my pair are now 8 years old and showing signs of wear and tear.
:confused:

Why don't they wear orange? Don't people keep thinking they're flags??
Old 3 Jul 2003, 20:24 (Ref:651278)   #17
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea that trackside marshals are not equiped with fire resistant clothing is quite concerning.

British marshals are trained in fire fighting and the majority will equip themselves with the appropriate clothing. I would imagine that a large majority have also at some point come into contact with a fire during a meeting.

Most fires that happen are easily dealt with by the marshals on post without ever needing to dispatch a vehicle and it is a far quicker response.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 22:00 (Ref:651365)   #18
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at le mans the marshals are given overalls but they are not fire resistent .
Old 8 Mar 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2146873)   #19
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx

I don't know of anywhere in Aus that uses orange overalls, except for Phillip Island's communal set, but I think thats so they can get them all back at the end of the weekend.

The Vic Flag Teams uniform looks something like this

The blue bands are so you can tell which way is 'up' from a distance, so you know if said flaggie has taken a dive.

Mick
Old 8 Mar 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2146910)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice to see that Oz "Uniforms" are the same "Shape" as ours in the UK!!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2146923)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell

Speak for yourself!
Old 8 Mar 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2146928)   #22
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
It's what happens when the people who are going to wear them design them, thus ensuring a snug fit. But it does seem to be a universal constant, the dimensions of marshall worldwide.

Mick
Old 8 Mar 2008, 23:35 (Ref:2147166)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx

Australian roving Sector Marshals wear Orange...other trackside workers including Flaggies wear White, Fire wear Red, Medical Green, Recovery is Lt Blue.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2149182)   #24
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellB
The idea that trackside marshals are not equiped with fire resistant clothing is quite concerning.

British marshals are trained in fire fighting and the majority will equip themselves with the appropriate clothing. I would imagine that a large majority have also at some point come into contact with a fire during a meeting.

Most fires that happen are easily dealt with by the marshals on post without ever needing to dispatch a vehicle and it is a far quicker response.
Interesting... it is standard practice over here (Canada). We avoid synthetic material, but just wear white cotton (so it does not melt..) Yes, we are trained in frie response, and do respond - general theory is if you are close enough to need fire retardent clothing, you are too close anyway......and if it's that big, you'd better have called for the fire truck before wading in with a bottle.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2149666)   #25
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA back in July 2003

I'm still using the same pair of "overalls" as when I first posted the above comment and considering there will probably be No F1GP in Australia after the 2010 event will probably only use the same pair at all of them, they've certainly seen better days and are getting worn out and tired (bit like their user)