Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 22 Apr 2004, 22:23 (Ref:948377)   #1
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brake materials & heat treatment

Hi all,
You may remember I am involved with a school designing and building a human powered vehicle that is to compete in a 24hr race. Currently we are thinking about brakes.

One of the students has borrowed a brake disc and looking at it, we have the facilities to make something very similar.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience making their own discs and what materials were they made from? Also did you have the discs heat treated in any way?

Our vehicle is basically going to be light(around 100kg with rider) and speeds are supposed to be limited to 60km/h so brakes do not have to be huge.

Any info helpful

Cheers
Coln
Old 22 Apr 2004, 22:43 (Ref:948401)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
probably far too heavy and not very efficient for a human powered vehicle. Bicycle disc brakes would probably be more than adequate
Old 23 Apr 2004, 00:24 (Ref:948456)   #3
coln72
Racer

That is what we are basing our design on. The original is produced specifically for HPV vehicles but we cant afford/dont want to pay what they want for them.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 15:18 (Ref:949129)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
As yours is only a very light duty application, mild steel will be adequate. Cast iron will give something like 20% higher coefficient of friction compared with MS, but unless you can cast your own you'd have to machine from a solid blank - it's filthy stuff to machine! If you're worried about MS looking tatty when it rusts you could use stainless, but the coefficient of friction would be lower.

Heat treatment is not necessary.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 18:33 (Ref:949331)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact, if you try to heat treat a disc similar to a bike design, you would probably end up warping the out of it! Also think carefully about any work you do to lighten it, I see a lot of horrendous brake design flaws on bicycle and motorcycle disks that sacrifice operating performance in the name of saving weight...
Old 25 Apr 2004, 22:19 (Ref:951521)   #6
coln72
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I thought the cross drilling of the design we looked at was over the top for a bike. I felt that it would lead to locked wheels and flat tyres from the kids getting too aggressive under brakes.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 19:43 (Ref:957266)   #7
noquarter
Rookie

noquarter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in the process of building car. For the brake discs I have water jet cut 5mm 304L stainless steel brakes discs.
Don't laugh, its the thickness and material used on many superbikes that are meant to stop a 275kg bike and rider from 160 mph.
For your purposes try 3mm. Thats what's on my Honda CR250.