Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Jan 2003, 15:51 (Ref:468532)   #1
andrecerasi
Rookie

andrecerasi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aerodynamics tech question

I am a research student studying the wake characteristics of F1 cars experimentally in wind tunnels using laser doppler anemometry. Would anyone know of literature I could get hold of to aid my research.

Replies to andrecerasi@yahoo.com

Andre
Old 11 Jan 2003, 02:17 (Ref:470883)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's one incredibly specific question you've asked andrea!
Hope you find some help but i suspect you're at the top of your tree allready-threre's no one that knows that stuff but you i think!
Good luck with it!
Old 12 Jan 2003, 22:11 (Ref:472465)   #3
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to find out what you were talking about so had a look on google, and there is a book
Durst F, Melling A and Whitelaw J H, 1981, Principles and Practice of Laser Doppler Anemometry, Second Edition, Academic Press, London
Amazon didn't have it though!
Old 13 Jan 2003, 12:23 (Ref:472905)   #4
andrecerasi
Rookie

Thanks for your search and hint for the book. The book you found on google is actually on my desk. I'm up to speed on LDA. It's the wake characteristics I'm more interested in. I can find loads of info for passenger cars but very little on open-wheel racing cars. Does anyone know where I could find such info?
André
Old 13 Jan 2003, 15:08 (Ref:473090)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if your looking for actual repeatable numerical data, such as a wind tunnel on a formula 1 car, you need to either be invisible or work for one of the teams. Otherwise your not getting anywhere near the car with any sort of measuring device
Old 13 Jan 2003, 16:05 (Ref:473154)   #6
andrecerasi
Rookie

This should make things clear. I have ample access to a very repeatable wind tunnel at Cranfield University, where I am carrying out my research. I also have ample access to a 50% scale F1 model that was offered to us from a team a few years ago. I'm just trying to find out whether anybody else has done such research or knows of any literature regarding F1 wake characteristics.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 03:34 (Ref:473575)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow, i feel honored that you think so highly of the forum members! Thanks! The only people who would study anything of that sort would be the people building/running the cars. There are a lot of good books out by former aeordynamascits, but they probably won't provide the level of detail that you are looking for with your specific query. Your best bet(s) would probably be to try and contact someone within/shortly out of the industry or by looking for similar studies on aircraft, especially those flying very low in ground effect. The data obviously will be nearly reversed but could give you some help and leads with what you need. Hope i am some help
Old 13 Mar 2004, 00:57 (Ref:903976)   #8
sf2001
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
sf2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have you thought of emailing some of the teams for assistance or support on your research? i know one of the post grads at my uni is working with a guy in jaguar, who incidentally used to lecture at my uni.
Old 13 Mar 2004, 19:52 (Ref:904599)   #9
Minorist
Rookie

Minorist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andre,
I just graduated in engineering and studied IC engine exhaust valves in a fair amount of detail for my dissertation. Like you, I was trying to find whether anyone had published/made public any work they had done previously which might have given me any similar hints.

All these fluid flows etc are a bit of a black art and as mentioned by others, knowledge of the subject is kept pretty secret. Probably your best bet is to try some technical papers from the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) who actually publish them or the IMechE (Institute of Mechanical engineers) who might be able to tell you where to get them.

I had to do all of the groundwork myself, which was a huge pain. It helped in the long run though, since it improved my understanding of what was going on immeasurably.
Paul
Old 14 Mar 2004, 20:24 (Ref:905243)   #10
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know someone who worked designing windtunnel s/w for a couple of F1 teams, I have emailed him with your question. If I get a reply I'll let you know.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:40 (Ref:910865)   #11
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I studied Fluid Dynamics at Southampton and the best possible place to get literature of this sort is university libraries... In other words, old dissertations! The problem being is that most of this work is kept by the uni's and pretty much unpublished due to the sponsoring teams wanting the data kept out of rivals hands... Your best bet is to try and get into some libraries like Imperial College and Southampton, I went to both and there were masses of projects on very similar topics...
Old 7 Apr 2004, 17:14 (Ref:933675)   #12
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Books

Simon McBeath had has done quite a lot of work on race car aerodynamics,he might be able to help.He has written a good book ,Competition Car Downforce ISBN 1 85960 662 8 ,published by Haynes and which I have, but most of it is too much for my old grey cells!
Lister
Old 7 Apr 2004, 17:43 (Ref:933703)   #13
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Try phoning up the teams as someone else suggested. I marshalled on a few MSport test sessions then phoned up asking for help with my roll cage design project. They have been a really great help and probably without it my project wouldbe near dead in the water!

the worst they can say is no...

also, does anyone know any resourse for stress strain curves for various steels? Need a few others to keep the tutors happy but testing any more is likely to be a huge problem
Old 7 Apr 2004, 17:57 (Ref:933712)   #14
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andre
I am still studying at school and my aim is to be a motorsport Aerodynamict. If you dont mind in asking, what A Levels did you take, what course at uni, amnd what grades did you need, Thanks alot
David