Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Jan 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4031730)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2022 World Rally Cars - hybrids... and crossovers?

So the FIA announced a few months ago that the 2022 World Rally Cars will have a 100 kW plug-in hybrid powertrain by Compact Dynamics.

This is supposed to keep the current manufacturers and attract more in the next years.

But what's the point of a hybrid Yaris, i20 or Fiesta? The latter two aren't sold as hybrids.

Also they aren't the sexiest cars in the market either. Crossovers are becoming more popular. How about switching to them? I mean, this is rally after all.

Ford has the Puma, Toyota has the Yaris Cross, Hyundai has the Kona.

How about the Renault Captur, VW Nivus, Opel Mokka, Peugeot 2008, DS3 Crossback?

This isn't a new idea. Mini ran with the Countryman.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 08:37 (Ref:4031802)   #2
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a statement, the FIA said its objective is "to demonstrate how existing road-car technology can be transferred into the motorsport arena, rather than the 'plug-in' hybrid performance-orientated system that is being developed for Rally1".

This article covers some of the changes.
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...for-wrc-rally1
Old 29 Jan 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4031807)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Also they aren't the sexiest cars in the market either.
True - but the Fiesta and Hyundai at least look great as WRC cars (the Yaris is ugly). The R5 cars are also a good looking bunch - the Fabia in particular is a great looking car.

Quote:
Crossovers are becoming more popular. How about switching to them? I mean, this is rally after all.

How about the Renault Captur, VW Nivus, Opel Mokka, Peugeot 2008, DS3 Crossback?

Not for me thanks. I hate the road going 'Crossovers' (take a hatchback and make it worse) and seeing them in top level rallying would pretty much kill any interest for me. A Crossover in full tarmac rally spec? Errr no thanks. Remember the Suzuki SX4? Pig ugly.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 12:49 (Ref:4031841)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I have the impression electric rallycross has missed the boat, at least from manufacturer standpoint.

Due to it's format of short races rallycross is very well suited for electric powered cars but with the range and general performance becoming better every year there's no need for rallycross. In 2022 it's way too late.

Not that I really mind because still prefer petrol powered supercars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
the Yaris is ugly
It's the modern MG Metro!
Old 30 Jan 2021, 11:24 (Ref:4032016)   #5
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'll need to attract the manufacturers.......I wouldn't be confident too many will sign up. Toyota, Hyundai yes, M-Sport will be hoping Ford will; after that, who else?
Old 30 Jan 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4032022)   #6
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They dont need to attract manufacturers at all, only IMG were desperate for that, and ran away as soon as they lost it, someone with a bit of common sense would realise that manufacturers consistently ruin series they get involved in!!
Old 31 Jan 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4032398)   #7
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
They dont need to attract manufacturers at all, only IMG were desperate for that, and ran away as soon as they lost it, someone with a bit of common sense would realise that manufacturers consistently ruin series they get involved in!!
Perhaps but WRX isn't exactly cut out for privateer efforts in regards to costs vs interest. Those who have been in it the last two years has either been those with an incredible drive for the sport or those with a huge pocket. Arguably GCK kept it alive with 4 and 5 cars out of 15 or 16 in 2019.

Unlike WRX, WRC is quite big after all so manufacturers are a must for it to continue and maintain interest. I don't think any privateers could afford to run in WRC against the "big bois". I don't fully count M-Sport as privateers either since it's essentially a huge motorsport conglomerate when it comes to developing and building cars.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4032406)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
But does it have to be a world championship? Maybe a European championship is their place. Rally is a world wide sport, rallycross is not.
Old 31 Jan 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4032587)   #9
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross managed perfectly well for decades without manufacturers, they ALWAYS ruin every championship they get into, look at WSPC, DTM ITC, BTCC, they just all try and win and outspend each other.

You basically had a factory VW dominating the series and still doing so 4 years after it's debut, I wonder why huh, maybe its the multi million budget left over from WRC!

This is not what rallycross needs, AT ALL ,and it never was. I get it, I see why people like IMG were obsessed with it, but they looked for that and new venues over all else, and that is why they lost the crowd and the manufacturers, it is unsustainable spending millions on a series with minimal fans and tv coverage.

If you come in, with new ideas, cater for everyone, not just your wallent peopel will coem, but they didnt, they went to places that paid the most, priced out all existing venues pretty much, made it vastly more expensive, banned ERC from competing with WRX, basically put all their eggs in one basket then ran away and totally left the sport in the lurch.

Good riddance to them, rallycross needs to get back to basics, bring in the old tracks mixed with the good new ones, remove the snobbery, make the support series better and easier. It's not hatfd realy
Old 31 Jan 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4032608)   #10
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
First off, the manufacturers left because of different reasons unrelated to IMG decisions regarding running of the series. Audi pulled out in favour of DTM for combustion engines and Formula E for the electrics. Peugeot pulled out because they thought it looked uncertain whether electric cars would actually happen in WRX. That left VW alone as a manufacture and obviously there was no point in staying.

My point is not what is needed, but what is the reality of WRX. A World Championship is probably higher on the agenda for some wanting to go big rather than going "back". Electric cars now is a prime example of it in hopes of attracting manufacturers once again, or at least interest. This is not about rallycross overall, just the top level.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4032743)   #11
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this thread was about WRCars - I'm not sure what RallyX has to do with the future of the WRC.
Old 1 Feb 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4032772)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
I thought this thread was about WRCars - I'm not sure what RallyX has to do with the future of the WRC.
Sorry my fault.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4034319)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So the FIA announced a few months ago that the 2022 World Rally Cars will have a 100 kW plug-in hybrid powertrain by Compact Dynamics.

This is supposed to keep the current manufacturers and attract more in the next years.

But what's the point of a hybrid Yaris, i20 or Fiesta? The latter two aren't sold as hybrids.

Also they aren't the sexiest cars in the market either. Crossovers are becoming more popular. How about switching to them? I mean, this is rally after all.

I agree, lets face it if rallying was being invented now - using cars to cross a mixture of terrain from tarmac to gravel to forest and dusty tracks, with the possibility of snow and ice on some rallies as well, and the crossing of fords etc- you would probably expect it to be a motorsport series aimed squarely at the Crossover/ SUV from Porsche Macan to Toyota RAV4s via BMW X1s etc.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 16:17 (Ref:4047935)   #14
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really care what models they choose to use as, aesthetically, rally-prepped versions of road cars seem to look the business either way. I think all the current crop of WRC cars are mean looking machines and the WRC2 motors are pretty tasty too. But I like to see variety. More manufacturer or manufacturer-backed entries would spice up the competition as it'll be a leveller playing-field budget wise. Throwing 4 Toyotas, 4 Hyundais and a few Fords against rich privateers doesn't bode particularly well for the pinnacle of rallying. Sure we know all that.

If the new regulations bring more varied entries (and competitive ones) as well as tight rallies, I can deal with the less-than-beautiful body shapes (if they turn out that way). Much like I'd prefer an average looking lass that's good in bed rather than a pretty picture that's a sack of spuds ;-)