Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Oct 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4131164)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sponsorship, The Woke Economy and Social Credibility

In this modern world of political correctness, woke economy, carbon neutral world, there has been numerous issues raised in the media about sponsorship and sport. Gina Rhinehart has been widely criticised about sponsoring netball to the tune of $15 million, with some players refusing to wear team jerseys with her company sponsorship. Woodside Energy have been taken to task for sponsoring an AFL team, in these modern times of living in a carbon neutral world. Some Australian cricketers aren’t happy with some sponsorship deal done by the ACB, for this season.

In a discussion with a young work mate, about banks- he mentioned that the bank I used didn’t have a lot of social credibility! I replied they just need to just look after my hard earned dollars and make sure the credit card works! He and his current life partner bank, with some bank I have never heard off. I said remember Pyramid Building society, but then realised that he wasn’t on earth back in the old days.

I would love to be a fly on the wall, when Broc Feeney says to JW or RD, look I am happy to drive for 888 next year, but I don’t want Red Bull on my car or my driving suit. What is 888 policy on carbon neutral outcomes?

In many years of attending motorsport, I seen sponsorship from big tobacco companies sponsoring F1 down to the local takeaway shop sponsoring a Formula 500 at the speedway. Many years ago, when money was tight our local speedway commentator would always say , “support the businesses that support your speedway”.

For any team owner finding sponsors and keeping them happy must be a massive undertaking.

Will the media attacks on company sponsorship deals with sporting teams, see some heat put on motorsport?
Old 23 Oct 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4131165)   #2
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good discussion Kingair.

My advanced years means I can remember not just tobacco sponsors, but also Playboy magazine and Daily Planet.

Hell, Tooheys even sponsored the Great Race for a few years.

Not sure which garden path this is all going to lead down as how many of the big companies with the cashflow to back sport are squeaky clean? Not many I'd say.

Let's take gambling, alcohol, and tobacco out. Then remove the businesses that are not carbon neutral, are exploiting third world workers, not into energy, mining or gas, or don't practice active recycling.

Who's left to sponsor sport? The Rooty Hill RSL? Oops supporters of gambling so they're out too.

Never heard the expression "woke economy" but it rings true.
Could also call it the "I'm offended by that..." economy.

Interestingly if the players/drivers object to the sponsors, they will be the losers as that's where the bulk of their salaries come from...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 23 Oct 2022, 21:03 (Ref:4131216)   #3
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Rhinehart protest by the netball players was about her refusal to walk back statements by her father that aboriginals should be sterilised and exterminated.Nothing woke about finding that repugnant.
That being said climate change is such an existential issue that sportwashing by climate change deniers and businesses living off that lie will always be opposed by a lot of people.
As for alcohol sponsorship it has been banned in France for a long time and professional sport continues.Gambling advertising needs further regulation but who knows where sponsorship fits in.TV advertising will go before that.
I remember the hysteria by travellers in the tobacco lobby about how that was going to end professional sport.CAMS were putting full page ads in publications saying motor racing would collapse.Richie Benaud said international cricket was under threat.Nonsense.All that happened was smoking rates plummeted with the commensurate fall in disease.
Old 23 Oct 2022, 23:01 (Ref:4131231)   #4
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Holding others to account for the actions or words of others (usually their ancestors) is from the woke 101 playbook.

Her father's words were repugnant, but to use a modern phase...they are not part of Gina's story.

As for the sporting climate warriors, a simple sign of real commitment would be to contain a season of cricket to a single city to reduce their carbon footprint of flying all over the country. For example the T20 World cup could have been held entirely in Melbourne and Gelong.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 11:16 (Ref:4131292)   #5
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
The Rhinehart protest by the netball players was about her refusal to walk back statements by her father that aboriginals should be sterilised and exterminated.Nothing woke about finding that repugnant.
Her actions speak louder than any words, she sponsors indigenous scholarship programs and employs a huge amount of indigenous people in her businesses.

But don't let that get in the way of the narrative.
Old 24 Oct 2022, 13:54 (Ref:4131315)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
People vote with their feet, or their wallet. That's not to be criticised.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 15:36 (Ref:4131543)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The big problem today is too many "woke" people trying to force narratives and speech on to other people or to control their thoughts. What it tells me is they know they are wrong but their only way to win is to "cancel" people and organizations, businesses, whatever.

To all these "woke" athletes who don't want the sponsorship money, well do without. No one is forcing them to play and no one should be forced to pay for them to play.
Old 27 Oct 2022, 02:22 (Ref:4131590)   #8
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post

Who's left to sponsor sport? The Rooty Hill RSL? Oops supporters of gambling so they're out too.

Given the Crime Commission has reported organised crime has flushed around $95BILLION through poker machines in the state in recent years in money laundering and that a 20% profit margin on machines means that the owners of these machines ,which are predominantly registered clubs,would have made about $18 BILLION from these proceeds of crime it is no wonder they are supporters of gambling.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 01:04 (Ref:4132133)   #9
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the things I really like it the inclusion of the Aboriginal link to the region.

It is, sadly, very poorly executed, but also part of a wider cultural problem in Australia where the Aborigine population has always been looked upon as third-class people.

Watching the leader speak as part of the pre-race activity, there was a clearly noticeable and stark contrast between the level of attention and respect that he commanded compared to the singer of the Australian national anthem.