Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Apr 2003, 06:35 (Ref:561130)   #26
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Y'know, as I surf around the net tonight, I'm coming across more and more rumours involving a Las Vegas street race. Nobody knows if it's CART or F1, due in large part to the fact that nobody really seems to know nothin'.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 11:02 (Ref:561356)   #27
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just so long as this time it's not around the Cesar's Palace car park
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:02 (Ref:561566)   #28
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about Penske's return to CART, I think two points sholud be considerated to cool down some hot expectations:

1) Such a return would sound as a humiliating defeat for him, as to say "Sorry, I was wrong", an expression that Mr P doesn't know that well

2) Should he return with a CART ownership, it would get all the teams very very upset; most of them could abandon (or threat to) CART. That is the reason why IRL refused to allow him design chassis: teams like Panther and others told TG: if you let him make chassis, we leave!
Because it would imply a serious conflict of interest

Last edited by climb; 7 Apr 2003 at 13:03.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 13:16 (Ref:561592)   #29
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A return of Penske could also get rid of some of the small teams. They were no doubt encouraged to enter by the drop in race-winning cars out there this season.

Penske may be involved in some way with the 'new' CART, but i find it hard to believe he'll swap and change again after 2 years in Indycars and start entering cars in CART again. And seeing as Marlboro wanted the 500 and American audiences, would they return if Penske did?

Last edited by racer69; 7 Apr 2003 at 13:17.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 03:13 (Ref:562357)   #30
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I kind of remember that guy. Isn't he the one that exploited the pushrod engine rule and basically made a sham of a certain race but doing so? His idea of racing is more akin to the old school Nascar (not the current honest ones!) guys who thought the real contest was in seeing if you can get one over on everyone else rather than racing.
Unfair advantage my eye.
Yeah, I remember him now.
Mike
Old 8 Apr 2003, 04:21 (Ref:562375)   #31
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske... Isn't he the one who drove the world's biggest auto manufacturer out of CART when he sent one of their engines to a German company which he was entering into a new partnership with? And then turned his back on a series he'd helped found?

Yeah, he's just the sort of fellow we want wandering the CART paddock again.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 05:29 (Ref:562396)   #32
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO Penske is a man driven to win at all cost. It is one of the reasons he is so successful. Unfortunately, I think his interest is purely to win and not for the love of the sport. He is so bent on winning that he will do it any way he can and damn the effect on the sport as a whole. As I remember, Penske was the major reason there is no longer a Can-Am series. I know they don't have as much power to through around, but I would rather have the guys that love the sport involved like Mario, Emmo, Walker, Forsythe, Pook, Newman, and Johanson.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 06:18 (Ref:562408)   #33
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee, wasn't it Pat Patrick who sent one of the Chevy Ilmors to Italy for it to be copied. I thought that was the story of where the Alfa Romeo came from. ?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 23:20 (Ref:563398)   #34
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
evo you're right. i remember that too.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 08:43 (Ref:563665)   #35
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leave Penske in 'Indycars.' I'm happy with the current slew of teams and drivers. The purists are here now, and that's how I'd like to see it stay.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 06:45 (Ref:564781)   #36
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_Flake
First of all, if Roger Penske wanted back in CART, I'd let him in with open arms. I seriously don't think that he wants to be in the IRL. It's just that his sponsor wants to be at Indy, and that isn't legally possible if Penske is in CART.
What "legally" keeps him from buying IRL sanctioned chassis and appearing only at the Indy rounds? Then, he could have stayed with CART. Didn't Team Green/Ganassi do that last year? If it's Tobacco rules, don't they apply for CART and the IRL? Thanks ahead.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:56 (Ref:565057)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
If Penske stayed in CART with Marlboro backing, then when he ran at Indianapolis he would have to run without Marlboro decals (like what happened in 2001), either that or run Indy with Marlboro then without the Marlboro decals during CART races.

The law seems to be it is one or the other. That's also the reason why Ferrari can't run Marlboro decals at the US Grand Prix but McLaren can still run in West cigarettes livery.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:59 (Ref:565226)   #38
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many more years of tobacco advertising will be allowed at Indy?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 17:15 (Ref:565294)   #39
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
U.S. tobacco sponsorship laws prohibit a tobacco firm to one advertising deal affiliated with one sport's sanctioning body. Since CART and the IRL are different sanctioning bodies, Penske couldn't run at Indy with Marlboro decals in 2001. Penske didn't like Joe Heitzler, Philip Morris wanted Marlboro logos at Indy, so Penske switched to the IRL.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 06:04 (Ref:565844)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Mirwin's question is a good one, though. One that I've asked before but nobody's ever seemed to have an answer. I was of the impression that the US was gradually banning tobacco advertising altogether, much like Canada has been. Here, the fat lady starts singing in October. (Just ask Forsythe)
Old 11 Apr 2003, 06:35 (Ref:565869)   #41
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it wipes cigarettes off the face of the earth, then I'm all for it. Of course, that won't happen, so race teams and fans get the shaft. This sucks.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 07:05 (Ref:565891)   #42
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Sounds like soon enough Philip Morris (Marlboro) might not be able to afford sponsorships or advertising of any kind, due to another type of legislation. One that comes in the form of more zeroes than I can count.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 07:09 (Ref:565897)   #43
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/f...110003_17.html