Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Apr 2004, 20:58 (Ref:936729)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watson-Smith

I was really impressed with Shaun Watson-Smith today - he was running strongly in all three races until various incidents (not his fault) took him out of races 2 and 3. He could well be a big surprise this season - anyone else agree?
Old 11 Apr 2004, 21:03 (Ref:936732)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Not really a surprise - he's been racing near the front for years and is a damn good driver.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 21:05 (Ref:936733)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
You beat me to it, I was just about to post the same. I have to admit I don't know a huge amount about him but from what I'd seen he's been fairly handy in the South African the last few years.

Reminds me a little of Patrick Watts - running in what is clearly a less than first class car, a couple of times in the second race he made a save from what seemed like an impossible angle.

Difficult to see the Proton on the podium at this stage, but with the reverse grids and weight ballast anything is possible. even if he's not a race winner he's definatly going to be worth watching.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 21:09 (Ref:936740)   #4
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont doubt the proton, i think that today shows they will be on the pace this year (except for Huiruman) and id expect race wins as there realistic targets, not top 5...
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 11 Apr 2004, 21:22 (Ref:936756)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He certainly impressed me. Never knew too much about the guy, so wasn't expecting much of him, but it was nice to see the Proton fighting the VX Junior car of Bentwood. I think Shaun will get faster and faster as the year goes on. Nice one.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 23:54 (Ref:936852)   #6
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't wait to see Shaun race for real - he looked awesome on TV today! Hope for a podium? I think there would be quite a lot of interest for a SWS fan club?!
Old 12 Apr 2004, 02:12 (Ref:936908)   #7
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Proton defintely kept pace with the front runners until the accident in race 3. I think we could definitely see some surprise results this year and if they return next year with Watson-Smith, having a years experience of UK tracks, they could be real challengers!
How long beofre Alex Yoong ends up in a Proton?
Old 12 Apr 2004, 09:54 (Ref:937155)   #8
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He certainly has a good style of racing, he really pushes the car and sticks the nose of it along side the rest.

His driving style reminds me of Steve Soper.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 10:02 (Ref:937158)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And he set the 2nd fastest lap in race 2!
Old 12 Apr 2004, 10:56 (Ref:937187)   #10
egomeister
Rookie

egomeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before the season started I did wonder what Proton was thinking employing these people I had never heard of, bnut SWS really impressed me yesterday. He showed himself to be a talented and agressive racer who dragged a performance from the Proton that was far better than the car deserves.

I look forward to seeing him race again!
Old 12 Apr 2004, 11:45 (Ref:937241)   #11
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He impressed me too, I think we caught a glimpse of a future race winner for sure.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 09:06 (Ref:938004)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Very impressive drive - I'd never heard of him before he signed up for Proton but clearly he's a very good driver. More of the same please.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 09:19 (Ref:938014)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amazing level of ignorance if so called motor-racing "fans" had never heard of Shaun.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:09 (Ref:938108)   #14
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Amazing level of ignorance if so called motor-racing "fans" had never heard of Shaun.
In all fairness, there's not exactly a lot of worldwide touring car coverage on TV for people to know who drivers are.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:16 (Ref:938116)   #15
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think he did fantastic job
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:43 (Ref:938160)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
In all fairness, there's not exactly a lot of worldwide touring car coverage on TV for people to know who drivers are.
If you look at the internet, or even Autosport magazine, you'd have known who he is.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:00 (Ref:938186)   #17
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to only follow local championships and those which are screened on TV. I only had a vague clue who he was before this season, but I'm certainly a fan now. He's had that car more competitive than David or Phil, and on circuits he didn't know. He always looked to be on the limit, and did well to avoid crashing (of his own accord) in a very difficult car to drive.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:58 (Ref:938264)   #18
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep very impressed, hairuman on the other hand - all i can say is the btcc is not the place to learn, he aint quick enough or experienced.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:07 (Ref:938276)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you look at the internet, or even Autosport magazine, you'd have known who he is.
Well I look on here and read Motorsport news on a fairly regular basis and I'd never heard of him. So that knackers that theory.

Edit: That sounded a bit too confrontational, what I mean is that I'm a fairly 'casual' touring car fan, I'll watch the BTCC and think the DTM is great. ETCC, Aussie V8's and beyond I don't really know much about, I pick up bits and pieces from Motorsport news or wherever but SWS isn't a name I'd come across before.

Last edited by BertMk2; 13 Apr 2004 at 13:13.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 14:58 (Ref:938403)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose if you read every square inch of Autosport every week your bound to find his name...
Old 13 Apr 2004, 15:01 (Ref:938408)   #21
The Bear
Rookie

The Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Childish and unnecessary remark.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 15:38 (Ref:938446)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bear
Childish and unnecessary remark.
It's not childish, nor un-necessary.

The word "ignorance" simply means a lack of knowledge - it's not criticism, merely observation.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 15:56 (Ref:938456)   #23
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do south africans know who james thompson is?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 17:30 (Ref:938543)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was very impressed with him, still not sure about Hairuman
Old 13 Apr 2004, 19:39 (Ref:938693)   #25
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
Quote:
Originally posted by btcc-thunder
do south africans know who james thompson is?
Good question!

Despite the Internet and Autosport and others, a name on a written article is no comparision for seeing a driver in action.

Someone driving as well as he did on Sunday is enough for anyone to certainly know who he is now!

Last edited by touringcarnut; 13 Apr 2004 at 19:40.