Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 4 Dec 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1781687)   #1
Andrewm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Andrewm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC SE Single Seater series

Hi All

I'm planning on doing this series next year. I have a Mk2 Formula Vauxhall Junior and took my ARDS test last Friday at a wet and windy Thruxton. I've been hillclimbing and sprinting for the past 16 years but have limited circuit experience save for a few track days.

Does anyone have any experience of this series and whether it would be a good place for me to start? I know that my car is eligable for Mono 1800 but those guys seem mighty quick and that makes me think twice..

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 4 Dec 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1781723)   #2
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did some of the BARC-SEC series this year (in an FVL, my first year of racing too). It's an excellent a low-cost (lower than anything else on offer) introduction to single seater racing. The only downside was the rather sparse grids, something that didn't bother me too much whilst finding my feet - like you I was used to having the whole track to myself.

Mike
Old 4 Dec 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1781755)   #3
SPBRacing
Rookie

United Kingdom
North West
SPBRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew

Come and play in Mono1200/1600/1800. they all race ont he same grid so you will normally find someone around you. This way you can climb up thorugh the field till you hit the front. It won't be as bad as you thing as they are a gently bunch.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1782234)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew

I have done both BARC-SEC races at Stowe and Mono 1800 in a Vauxhall Junior 16V so maybe I can be of some help! There is nothing to be worried about in joining in with the Mono 1800 crowd - the 1800 field runs with the 1600 & 1200's and there is a good mix of performance throughout the field; there are plenty of slower people (like me) around to play with. and there are usually good battles throughout the field. The 1200s (bike engined cars like Speads & Jedis) are very quick but driving standards are fine and everyone is very helpful. Often the quicker 1600 guys will be in front of some of the Mono 1800s but it really is nothing to be worried about. There are usually a couple of Vauxhall Juniors around to play with (and some FF Zetecs) in the 1800 class so you can make a direct comparison on how you are performing/ improving.

The BARC-SEC races are good value at Stowe (I haven't driven in any of the Lydden or Brands events) and are great for getting track time and experience in an unpressured race environment. The downside is that the grid sizes are sometimes a bit thin and there may not be too many people to have a direct battle with.

I would recommend both series to the inexperienced but if you have been mad enough to drive quickly up & down some of the hillclimbs in this country then you should not need to be too worried about racing - you might get agrophobia a bit at first, though! Seriously, perhaps the answer is to do a mixture of both in the first year, on a regional basis, as this keeps the costs down.

Which Vauxhall Junior did you buy?
Old 5 Dec 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1782262)   #5
Andrewm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Hi Andy

We spoke on this forum a year or so back when I had a 1700 Formula Renault. After blowing the motor at Goodwood in August 05, I acquired another engine and did a test day at Gurston Down. My head was turned by Hugh Kemp's FVJ which I'd seen him use for a couple of years. He'd bought a Palliser FF1600 and needed to shift this quickly.

I sold the FR to a chap in Ireland, Bob Parkes, who is doing quite well with it in Formula Libre. I've used the FVJ at Gurston all year and did a Sprint at Curborough in October - what a lovely car to drive. I understand that the car is an ex John Village Automotive team car and has come with a few spares.

I've picked up a good few sets of wheels and tyres but will need to buy new or good second hand wets as mine are rock hard. Am I right in thinking that FF Zetec tyres are the same size? I would think the compound codes are different - what do you use?

Looking at the logistics of both the BARC SE Series and Mono, I think you may be right about mixing and matching. Thanks also for your reassurance that the Mono boys play nicely.

Cheers
Old 5 Dec 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1782435)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewm
Hi Andy

We spoke on this forum a year or so back when I had a 1700 Formula Renault. After blowing the motor at Goodwood in August 05, I acquired another engine and did a test day at Gurston Down. My head was turned by Hugh Kemp's FVJ which I'd seen him use for a couple of years. He'd bought a Palliser FF1600 and needed to shift this quickly.

I sold the FR to a chap in Ireland, Bob Parkes, who is doing quite well with it in Formula Libre. I've used the FVJ at Gurston all year and did a Sprint at Curborough in October - what a lovely car to drive. I understand that the car is an ex John Village Automotive team car and has come with a few spares.

I've picked up a good few sets of wheels and tyres but will need to buy new or good second hand wets as mine are rock hard. Am I right in thinking that FF Zetec tyres are the same size? I would think the compound codes are different - what do you use?

Looking at the logistics of both the BARC SE Series and Mono, I think you may be right about mixing and matching. Thanks also for your reassurance that the Mono boys play nicely.

Cheers
Andrew

I have now sold my FVJ and have got a Vauxhall Lotus for Mono 2000 now (but I am no quicker!!). F F Zetec tyres do fit and that's what I used to use - I used to try and get them second hand from the F Ford Teams if they were testing at Donington. I also think that Radical Clubsport tyres fit but you may need to check that.

See you next year

Andy
Old 5 Dec 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1782577)   #7
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe think about F4 as well Andrew - www.750mc.co.uk
Old 5 Dec 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1782584)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I raced my FVJ a couple of times in the invitation class of F4 2 years ago so they are (or were) eligible but got hacked off with 750 when they decided that the Vauxhall Lotus were no longer eligible for the invitation class. Unfortunately they did not think to provide any warning of this change in the rules or consult with (all of) the F4 membership.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1782611)   #9
Andrewm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Just had a look at the F4 regs - it's unclear as to which class i'd be in - the car is a '98, so Class A, but the motor is not Ford - so class I? I know the FVee guys are pretty quick but in theory, my car should be a fair bit quicker. Possibly, they'd put me in with the Zetec boys - maybe i'll ask the 750MC!

Appreciate all the suggegestions chaps, thanks.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1782643)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there might have been a Vauxhall Junior out in F4 this year, and if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, I think it was in Class I.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1782664)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Definately Class I (Invitation Class) - That's certainly the class I ran in for a couple of races in each of 2004 &5.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1782772)   #12
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AndrewM; depending on where you are in the country, I could do you a deal on tyres. "We" have a deal with one of the major FFord teams and get all their 2nd hand tyres. Trust me, they are in good nick when we get them.
We use them on our Fiestas in the DTRC series. PM me via my flatoutfarr web site and I can see what we can do for you.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1782825)   #13
Redracer77
Veteran

VJ are in class I and we did have one out at the last round at Snetterton but I think the guy has sold the car now.

Most of the zetec guys are in the process of converting to US FF2000 spec with slicks and wings over the winter. I know off 5 cars currently being converted.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1783352)   #14
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewm
I know that my car is eligable for Mono 1800 but those guys seem mighty quick and that makes me think twice.

Trust me they aren't. One of the Mono1600 drivers/cars is very quick and the others aren't that bad, momo1200 are much quicker.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 6 Dec 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1783682)   #15
Neil1982
Racer

England
Kidderminster
Neil1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Trust me they aren't. One of the Mono1600 drivers/cars is very quick and the others aren't that bad, momo1200 are much quicker.
Andrew, I have watched many Mono 1800/1600/1200/600 mono races this season and have seen 1200 cars finish up behind 1600 drivers. Mono is club racing... with a nice mix of cars/drivers. Come join in you will find a driver/car combination to come practice your driving skills/racecraft against! We are all out just to enjoy driving single seater race cars on an affordable budget at a variety of tracks over the UK... a new member will always be made to feel more than welcome. Don't be worried that you may be too slow. I have memories of when I had my first race at Brands in 2000 on the Mono 2000 grid I was so far back I could not see the starting lights!! This season I started from the front row. Just come get involved. I have always felt welcome, no matter what pace I was driving at!
Old 6 Dec 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1783687)   #16
Andrewm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Ok, sounds more like Mono is the way to go for some proper circuits and enough people coming out to play. Guess I'll just get some testing under my belt first and then get stuck in.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 06:41 (Ref:1783807)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1982
Andrew, I have watched many Mono 1800/1600/1200/600 mono races this season and have seen 1200 cars finish up behind 1600 drivers. Mono is club racing... with a nice mix of cars/drivers. Come join in you will find a driver/car combination to come practice your driving skills/racecraft against! We are all out just to enjoy driving single seater race cars on an affordable budget at a variety of tracks over the UK... a new member will always be made to feel more than welcome. Don't be worried that you may be too slow. I have memories of when I had my first race at Brands in 2000 on the Mono 2000 grid I was so far back I could not see the starting lights!! This season I started from the front row. Just come get involved. I have always felt welcome, no matter what pace I was driving at!
Here, Here. I am virtually always at the back of the grid but I still enjoy myself tremendously!
Old 7 Dec 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1783882)   #18
Redracer77
Veteran

How do the mono 2000 grids look for next year as I have seen most of the non Dallara guys with their cars on the market over the winter?
Old 7 Dec 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1783979)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I might be wrong but I can only think of one reasonably regular Mono 2000 guy with a car up for sale and I think that's due to temporary ill health. Other Mono eligible cars that I have seen for sale have been from people who have competed in things like SEMSEC & BARC-SEC. They would probably make good buys for people considering Mono!
Old 11 Dec 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1788234)   #20
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, you are correct Andy; Raltracer has everything up for sale due to ill health; and this is the guy who ran the London Marathon not too many moons ago! Why is it that the good guys suffer the crap?
Everyone wishes him and his family well and wants to see him back out again asap.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1788478)   #21
Redracer77
Veteran

Timms is also selling his car as well isnt he?
Old 12 Dec 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1788654)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Not sure about the Timms sale.

Anyway, I see that from the BARC-SEC newsletter that they will not be running a single seater series next year due to persistent low grid numbers. I guess that this is supply & demand at work (perhaps one or two other series should apply the same discipline) but its a shame nonetheless. I always enjoyed my races on the Stowe circuit and 2 races for £110 was good value - a good opportunity to get some experience. I guess that the BARC-SEC was always competing with SEMSEC when it came to the Lydden and Brands races (which was always mad) and the SEMSEC racers didn't come north to Silverstone. I hope that a few of the BARC-SEC single seater runners will try their hand at Mono now -you will be very welcome - and from a personal point of view, as someone who only really wants to race regionally in the midlands, I hope that the Mono calendar has Donington and Mallory back on the calendar for 2007.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1788719)   #23
Andrewm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Andy, you beat me to it. Just read in the newsletter that they won't be running the SS series - guess that makes my decision for me - see you in Mono 1800!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1788737)   #24
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually BARC s/e will run single seaters if ten of you can get it together. It is simply a case of finances. To keep the low entry fees (and appeal) we need ten cars to make it viable. The centre is also offering a F.Vee vs. ERA challenge at one of its meetings.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1788761)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the Lydden meeting again Rod?