Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Feb 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3801372)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not American and I don't follow GRC so I have no idea how it is going over there. I have watched the odd rcae and it is similar to WRX, first bend carnage, jumps, awful joker laps, but their dirt sections seem to hold up better.

They have done a decent job in marketing, using Dirt games and Iracing to launch an off road part of that game, therby making people aware of it who play games. Something WRX have also tried and failed at really.

Indeed Scott Speed did himself no favours by getting himself banned for ramming people constantly in Iracing and being banned, nice you cretin.

From what I see the tracks are OK, not as good as old tracks but about the same as WRX car parks.

They don't get big grids, and if it wasn't for Eriksson I think the series would have died as he basically provides most of the cars with RX Lites too. With old Fiestas and his Honda's. Only Subaru have really maintained an interest after Saab, Dodge and Hyundai realised what a waste of money it was.

BTRDA are on same day, IMG will not allow anything WRX, ERX related to run there unless it's totally separate as they are going to South Africa and the two classes cant run together anyway, neither WRX or GRC.

Regarding the split. This will only happen if someone comes up with a ton of cash, and I mean millions. Somehow IMG bought the rights to ERC, ERX etc as that was all that existed when they bought it, they created WRX, ERX is what it used to be.

They are not stupid and clearly wrote into their WRX contract that if anyone wants to split ERC away again they will have to pay a substantial fee. Plus you would not be allowed likely to run on existing WRX tracks (lets face it, who in their right mind would want to anyway). They need it as electric will be garbage for live fans and they need a support system, and the money they bring in entry fees and reg fees.

So the only chance for a new series is for a Pat, or someone like that to put the money into it. He would have no problem getting the old hardcore fans, or the old tracks like Belgium, Holland, Poland, Hungary, Czecho.

What he would have an problem with is making it worthwhile for drivers to leave the IMG cash grab and go with him. Or whoever it is. It will happen in my view but IMG will make it so damned difficult. Hate to say I told you so, and I was full of hope when they initially took over. But they might well do a Stott here and split rallycross apart globally.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3801388)   #27
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the Lydden website, "will also serve as the inaugural season finale for the series’ new Polaris RZRĀ® class" So they will be there. No word about the lites.
Also 'selected wildcards as the UK takes on the USA'. So non IMG, UK supercars might enter. Hopefully they have a championship regulation in which this is regulated and the 'wildcards' can't mess with the championship. While that might make great american drama, I hate it when that happens.

Mivec, you have to admit, 10 cars like last year is a bit poor.

Any word about the electric serie they promised in 2016 for the 2018 season?
Why no public regulations?

https://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/2018/02...season-finale/

http://redbullglobalrallycross.com/n...s-2018-season/
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3801477)   #28
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 cars is poor for a raceday, indeed.

@Chunder: i don't mean a split for ERX and WRX.
Just some dates where only ERX, super1600 or so are racing, and some days where WRX and ERX are on the list...

In this case: 30 cars ERX, 30 cars in super1600 makes a fine race weekend to me! Even without the big WRX names. This could give the ERX guys a chance to stand in the spotlight.
Now they are driving in the shadow!

In my opinion there is no room for an extra rallycross championship, as the Rallycross Challenge did not make it, all drivers want to do IMG WRX or ERX.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3801497)   #29
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
30 cars in WRX may be achieved in some round but privateers can't match them really so they might enter ERX instead.

There are drivers who have opted for other championships instead of WRX and ERX. RallyX is doing good with some former ERX drivers, long time since there were this many Supercars, and the French championship seems to be doing good as well (even if it always has). There are some drivers who have complained about the rising costs of ERX too.

As for GRC, I have heard that Eriksson grown tired of it and left.

Only Subaru and VW could be considered somewhat manufacture, though Subaru's first cars were built by Ingvar Gunnarsson. Saab was never in on it, just a collaboration between Eklund and Scott.

Hyundai sponsored Millen but he built the car himself I think and the engine was prepared by Godfrey.

The Dodges were actually built by OMSE in Sweden and ran by a privateer team.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3802214)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Besides GRC is there any local or regional rallycross in the US?
Old 18 Feb 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3802228)   #31
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is (or used to be at least). http://rally-america.com/rallycross
Old 18 Feb 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3802230)   #32
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
There was plans for one in New Jersey where rallycross was first competed outside X-Games in 2016 I think. It was cancelled however.

The series that Stohl is set to build electric rallycross cars for is not affiliated with GRC.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3802233)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
First season of GRC had Supernational class. Shame that wasn't continued.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 23:07 (Ref:3803045)   #34
brad_m
Rookie

UK-ROI
brad_m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get too excited. GRC won't have a super car class as you know it, as all of the manufacturers have pulled out. They will instead have a "Supercar Gold" class this year (Lites cars with a different body and muffler) and the RZR class.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 22 Feb 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3803219)   #35
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
Is there anywhere we can read about this change? I can't find anything.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3803274)   #36
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_m View Post
Don't get too excited. GRC won't have a super car class as you know it, as all of the manufacturers have pulled out. They will instead have a "Supercar Gold" class this year (Lites cars with a different body and muffler) and the RZR class.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
What???
Old 23 Feb 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3803345)   #37
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I really hope this is proved to be incorrect: my interest in the Lydden round will be massively reduced if this is true.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3803361)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I really hope this is proved to be incorrect: my interest in the Lydden round will be massively reduced if this is true.
My interest in the Lydden round will be massively reduced at those prices if this is true.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3803438)   #39
brad_m
Rookie

UK-ROI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
Is there anywhere we can read about this change? I can't find anything.
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldClassOverview_2018.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	776.1 KB
ID:	50997
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3803444)   #40
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
My interest in the Lydden round will be massively reduced at those prices if this is true.
Yep, fair point!

Quote:
Hmmm. This is starting to look like a bit more than just a rumour...
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3803448)   #41
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
Yep, nice picture. How about a link to an official GRC page with that info?
GoldClassOverview_2018.jpg doesn't return any google results.
Neither does "gold class overview 2018 rallycross grc" in any combination.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3803451)   #42
brad_m
Rookie

UK-ROI
Quote:
Yep, nice picture. How about a link to an official GRC page with that info?
GoldClassOverview_2018.jpg doesn't return any google results.
Neither does "gold class overview 2018 rallycross grc" in any combination.
You will see a press release in due time, perhaps next week.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3803460)   #43
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
I hope it's soon. Would save me from bothering my boss for days off.
While I understand the try to keep GRC alive after self building teams bale out, and the development of a one make series where 'all depends on the driver' and costs are lower, I don't like it.
But with lowering the costs to enter perhaps they can attract more drivers then 10, which would be a very big plus.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3803462)   #44
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Wonder if Doran knew about the removal of Supercars. Surely this can't be good for business.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3803466)   #45
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
But with lowering the costs to enter perhaps they can attract more drivers then 10, which would be a very big plus.
Yeah. My initial reaction to this was entirely negative, but if they managed to attract the driver numbers from last years Supercar and Lite entries all in one class it could be entertaining...

...but if the Supercar is no longer a part of the GRC, where are they all going? Or will they just all get retired?

Given the picture above alludes to more power from the Lites, I wonder just how much more power a Lite would need for it to be posting comparable lap times to a Supercar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades
Wonder if Doran knew about the removal of Supercars. Surely this can't be good for business.
I'm thinking not. I actually reckon that "gold" Lite will look pretty cool, but I wouldn't really call a field of Lites on steroids the "big guns" as Pat did in his interview.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3803477)   #46
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's just reserve judgment til we know more.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3803484)   #47
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Heard a while ago that Eriksson got tired of GRC and pulled out. Besides, 10 or 11 cars aren't enough to keep a championship alive and it has been this way for a couple of seasons now.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3803490)   #48
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Let's just reserve judgment til we know more.
No, that's not how the internet works. We have half a rumour and a handful of assumptions: we're ready to judge now!

Last edited by tbtstt; 23 Feb 2018 at 21:51.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 22:23 (Ref:3803499)   #49
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
And silver class will use current lite cars?
Old 23 Feb 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3803501)   #50
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Heard a while ago that Eriksson got tired of GRC and pulled out. Besides, 10 or 11 cars aren't enough to keep a championship alive and it has been this way for a couple of seasons now.
Is OMSE no longer involved in the Lites business in the US?