Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Oct 2003, 00:00 (Ref:738649)   #1
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory 5th Oct

A bit of an ad I suppose, but It's always nice to see people!

Mallory on Sunday - for some reason despite racing for 6 years now, I've never done Mallory - spectated plenty of times and a bit worried about the hairpin!

Timetable follows:

Top Hat pre 65 Saloons: 13.20
Cloth Cap Sportscars: 14.15
GTA challenge: 15.10
Best Of British: 15.50
Oldies but Goldies pre 60 Saloons: 16.30
Sebring Salute: 17.25

I'm in car 8 - Ford 100E - feel free to say hi (I'm the younger of the 2 drivers - the fogey is my dad ;-)
Old 3 Oct 2003, 07:18 (Ref:738889)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good luck ! sadly I wont be there but my old Alfa is having its first run with its new owner in your race (in fact it is his first race ever! so forewarned is forearmed!!)
look forward to hearing how it went. Unless I can sort my gearbox out in time for BRDC November winter warmer I am now done for the year
Old 3 Oct 2003, 08:30 (Ref:738961)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you gonna paint your XI over the winter too ?
Old 3 Oct 2003, 08:32 (Ref:738964)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yimkin I should be on the inside of the hairpin armed with camera...but don't let that intimidate you
Old 3 Oct 2003, 10:55 (Ref:739130)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Paul
yup I am taking it up to be quoted for the repair tomorrow and looking into a paint scheme at the same time
dont be fooled by Yimkin's car - it maybe one of the oldest on the grid but he and his father are both quick peddlers!
Old 3 Oct 2003, 14:54 (Ref:739465)   #6
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hiya. Just to let you know that I will be racing my Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato in the GTA Challenge race. I know, it's not an Alfa but Julius has kindly invited me as I didn't fancy joining the Sebring Salute (my car is eligible as they raced in period in 1967/8) guys on this occasion as I fear I may get lapped every lap!

Not bringing out the Griffith for Cloth Cap/Best of British as the car really isn't suited to the small circuit - plus the fact it may still not be finished after breaking a stub axle at Oulton in August. So hubby Jason will be my "support crew" for the day (again!).

Can't say Mallory is my favourite circuit (deliberately missed the HSCC event there in May, preferring to be at Donington with the Top Hat boys). Still, a race is a race and Julius always looks after us very well. Very, very happy to support him.

Back out next Saturday for the end of season HSCC event. I have an outside chance of winning my class in 70's Roadsports but 2 DNFs, 1 DNS and missing Mallory and Snetterton have put pretty much put pay to that despite winning the class in all the races I have started/finished (3). Jason will be out in the Griffith for it's first event at Silverstone - should be interesting!

Have lots of fun!

Louise Kennedy
Old 3 Oct 2003, 15:12 (Ref:739478)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

sadly Tophat and Clothcap races have clashed with other races this year which is a shame as Julius does organise good races. Maybe I will be able to do more of them next year!
Good luck to you all and stay on the black stuff!!
Old 3 Oct 2003, 16:15 (Ref:739538)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be the one waving the chequered flag at you!!

Have a good day!!
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:48 (Ref:741735)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

so how did you all get on? My old car had its first run with its new owner and by all accounts he seemed to have had a good day out
Old 6 Oct 2003, 11:11 (Ref:741753)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I'm still trying to weed out the chaff from my pictures so you can confirm but if your car was the one I'm thinking it was it's new owner was absolutely smoking the tyres each time out of Shaws

The Farrellac Allard is a gorgeous thing
http://paulsands.org/top.htm

Last edited by PaulSands; 6 Oct 2003 at 11:12.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 11:46 (Ref:741787)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks Paul
I lok fwd to more when its ready! Is the Farrellac Allard the green open top car ? If so I totally agree, I see it has a cross on the back, that shows form!!
Old 6 Oct 2003, 11:48 (Ref:741789)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
thats the one
Old 6 Oct 2003, 13:34 (Ref:741927)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A great day - I had fun at Post 4! Close, clean racing, the way it should be.

What a wonderful collection of cars - & not one single-seater in sight. That Dulon LDG is beautiful!

I've got a few photos (not yet captioned!) at:

http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/129.html

Last edited by Dave Brand; 6 Oct 2003 at 13:38.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 16:26 (Ref:742102)   #14
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, what a wonderful day I had. Drove like a "girl" in practice (I can say that and get away with it!) - couldn't get to grips with what was going on.

The race was a great event. I overtook four cars in the race (three in the same lap) and battled for 30 mins to get past them. With two cars spinning off, it meant I made up 6 places to come an incredible 8th - not bad for a wee engine! Had amazing fun too - the best kind of racing, very close, very fair and a lot of fun.

Thanks Operator for the flag - couldn't come too soon for me as I was geting a little tired (need to go to the gym methinks!). Good photo of my little car Dave, great angle.

Hope everyone else had as much fun as me. Sorry to see the grids were a little low but the racing seemed good quality.

Louise Kennedy
Old 6 Oct 2003, 16:39 (Ref:742113)   #15
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The day's results aren't on MST - are they anywhere else yet ?
Old 6 Oct 2003, 21:29 (Ref:742365)   #16
Yimkin
Racer

Well, it was a day of mixed fortunes! Loved the circuit, especially Gerards, and the hairpin wasn't as bad as I thought...
Got a 1:02 in practice which I was very pleased with, but in the race after my Dad set off the car was sounding rough, and 8 secs down - by the time I took over, after 8 laps I was going down the straight when suddenly *bang* - and I felt half the engine departing, hammering the floor on the way - they saw half of it exit from the pits. There is an *enormous* hole in the side of the block! Ah well, at least its almot the end of the season.
The rest of the day people were coming up to us with bits of the block, cam lobes, followers etc...

Louise, well done on the class win - ou certainly looked pleased bringing the car back in!
Old 6 Oct 2003, 21:33 (Ref:742367)   #17
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
A great day - I had fun at Post 4! Close, clean racing, the way it should be.

What a wonderful collection of cars - & not one single-seater in sight. That Dulon LDG is beautiful!

I've got a few photos (not yet captioned!) at:

http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/129.html
Nice pic Dave - thanks - glad you got it after I'd chamoised the ice off it in the morning!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 06:54 (Ref:742623)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Simon is this your ex?
http://paulsands.org/sitebuildercont...s/top/th12.jpg
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:24 (Ref:742649)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

Paul and Dave great photos thanks for showing them and Paul you are right that is my old car!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:33 (Ref:742656)   #20
LAK
Racer

Thanks Yimkin. Very sorry to hear of your woes. Sounds a little expensive to me. Do you still have more races this season or is the car confined to the garage for an off season re-build?

I must say I was jolly pleased when I came in after the race - a mixture of tiredness and elation that I'd done well. I also managed to set my fastest ever time around Mallory a 1:01.3 which I am very happy with. Have to dial out some more understeer to improve that time I think.

The last few races (Castle Combe, Oulton Park, Spa and now Mallory) have been some of the most rewarding and enjoyable races I have been involved in over the last 5 years or so I have been racing (other than the person who tried to barge me off the track at Oulton and left a big scar down the back of the car - naughty). I hope the HSCC race at Silverstone on Saturday won't disappoint. Anyone else going to it? We have 2 driver meetings that day and friends coming up so I doubt I will have time to chat to anyone so good luck to all.

Louise Kennedy
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:43 (Ref:742667)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I'm really cheesed off as I was due at Silverstone on Saturday but now have to assist an electrician hacking plaster off my walls
Definitely be at Donington the day after for the AMOC meeting and that could well be my last armed outing of the year ...oooooh no....the Amazon orders are already in, stocking up on the reading for those winter cold boring weekends...I also think I'm going to have to swallow my pride and order Sky to keep me some part close to sane
Old 8 Oct 2003, 11:48 (Ref:743964)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I've added a few more pictures, some that actually show what lives inside those cars and helmets
http://paulsands.org/top.htm