Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Nov 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1464325)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Noise Limits

Just wondering, with the problems at Monza, what the situation is with major UK circuits.

I understand Brands are only allowed 3 or 4 'noisey' weekends a year, but what about Silverstone and Donington.

Could the likes of Oulton Park or Croft run an F1 or LMS race (assuming the facilities where upto standard) or are they limited in the level of noise that will be tolerated, limiting them to quieter BGT/BTCC cars etc.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1464758)   #2
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have similar problems with race circuits and live music venues being crowded by the ever expanding suburbs, unfortunately here in Australia we have race tracks which were once in the middle of nowhere now finding themselves being surrounded by homes. Why you would knowingly buy or build a home next to a race track then have the nerve to complain about the noise is beyond me.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1464815)   #3
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Just wondering, with the problems at Monza, what the situation is with major UK circuits.

I understand Brands are only allowed 3 or 4 'noisey' weekends a year, but what about Silverstone and Donington.

Could the likes of Oulton Park or Croft run an F1 or LMS race (assuming the facilities where upto standard) or are they limited in the level of noise that will be tolerated, limiting them to quieter BGT/BTCC cars etc.
Brands is allowed, I think, 27 noisey days on the GP loop ( that means race prepared cars or bikes). There in no limit as far as I am aware on the Indy loop. When you considers that this year on the GP loop we have had Belcar, A1GP, BTCC, HSCC, WSB, BSB, BEMSEE the three or four noisey weekends are obviously exceeded. There has been a race meeting of one sort or other at Brands almost every weekend since March. Most of those are run under normal MSA or ACU noise limits.
Old 19 Nov 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1464860)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR14/WSC95
Why you would knowingly buy or build a home next to a race track then have the nerve to complain about the noise is beyond me.
Trouble is, that's your and my logic. Now't so queer as folk, as they say.......
Old 20 Nov 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1465518)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
Brands is allowed, I think, 27 noisey days on the GP loop ( that means race prepared cars or bikes). There in no limit as far as I am aware on the Indy loop. When you considers that this year on the GP loop we have had Belcar, A1GP, BTCC, HSCC, WSB, BSB, BEMSEE the three or four noisey weekends are obviously exceeded. There has been a race meeting of one sort or other at Brands almost every weekend since March. Most of those are run under normal MSA or ACU noise limits.
I take it there are no limits at Silverstone and Donington, at least during weekends.

I understand some circuits run quieter during the week to keep good relations with the locals.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1465544)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
BTW, I've just been reading that LMP1 prototypes have to comply with noise limits of 110db at Le Mans.

I was suprised at this considering around half of the Belcar field at Brands were louder than the 118db limit, before the cars were modified.

Wonder how loud an F1 car is?
Old 20 Nov 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1465642)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
110db? is that something new!? Seems like quite a small number to me...? I hope noise limits aren't imposed - there's not much I love more than so many cars screaming around a track making such incredible noises, and being able to feel that noise as it vibrates through the floor and the grandstands!

I do remember looking at the Donington website ages ago and seeing their list of testing days - some were noise restricted and some weren't - I guess that'll be keeping good relations?
Old 20 Nov 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1465648)   #8
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
We've got the same problem at Zandvoort in Holland.
Beautiful track but sadly too little days where you can make some noise!!!
Old 20 Nov 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1465677)   #9
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The top normal MSA noise limit is 108dBa for single seaters but TOCA, F3, Gt and SCSA (on a oval) are allowed more
Old 20 Nov 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1465710)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
110db? is that something new!? Seems like quite a small number to me...? I hope noise limits aren't imposed - there's not much I love more than so many cars screaming around a track making such incredible noises, and being able to feel that noise as it vibrates through the floor and the grandstands!

I do remember looking at the Donington website ages ago and seeing their list of testing days - some were noise restricted and some weren't - I guess that'll be keeping good relations?
LMP1/LMP2/GT1/GT2 have been running to this limit since at least 2002.

At Silverstone last year the TVR GT2's were far louder than any prototype, even the Judd engined cars, only the 550s came close.

The Judds and American V8s 'sound' loud but they don't hurt your ears like the TVRs or 550s.

I believe in the ALMS the cars run at 108db, yet they seem as loud as any sportscar out there.

There are just some engines that have a ceratin resonance (if thats how you would describe it) that allows their sound to carry and appear much louder than the rest, i.e. TVR, 550, Mazda Rotary, 20k rpm F1 V10s!
Old 20 Nov 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1465722)   #11
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV is allowed to use the Brands Hatch GP loop, for racing, 24 days a year. This is a planning law and was agreed some time ago. They have to give at least 60 days notice of intended use, and must inform locally if any catergory exceeds 108 dbs.
The Indy circuit is not subject to the 24 day allowance, and is therefore used far more frequently.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1465831)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe that the cars at Le Mans run to 110db... far louder than British GT's which run to louder regs (you can hear them form one end of the Mulsanne to the other)..
Old 20 Nov 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1465833)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
I don't believe that the cars at Le Mans run to 110db... far louder than British GT's which run to louder regs (you can hear them form one end of the Mulsanne to the other)..
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ACOLMP2002.pdf

ACO Tech regs 2002 LMP900/LMGTP

'The noise generated by the car cannot exceed 110dB(A) at 3800rpm or at 3/4 maximum revs if less'

Again the LNT TVR was far louder than the protoypes at Silverstone.

Its only 108db for the ALMS!
Old 20 Nov 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1465840)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"at 3800rpm or at 3/4 maximum revs if less" is the key.. what does a Judd rev to?

Uk regs will be at 3/4 maximum revs whatever.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1465852)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
About 10,000rpm?

They do sound less harsh, and more pleasant than F1 engines, even the older Judd F1's.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1465854)   #16
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/juddgv510.html
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/juddgv410.html

about the JUDD engiens .

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Nov 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1465862)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Klass Zwarts F1 cars run Judd V10s, I've read they run at 108db at his circuit resort in Spain.
Old 20 Nov 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1465875)   #18
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Noise testing at 3800 effectively means that they run unslienced as they run to over 10000.