Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Dec 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2806118)   #126
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I came down my lane tonight in the Pajero J top with the big chunky tyres on, and the whole family in the back, and thought - shoot this is not good, another 3 inches of snow has fallen, the tracks from this afternoon are covered over. We are getting past the 'fun stage', this is starting to become serious.
So the Unimog is getting put in the Garage shortly and a bit of a service done. As this is only December we may need the Mog yet this winter.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2806133)   #127
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My Chevy Blazer S10 was Ace in the snow this afternoon, dunno what it is about that much slated vehicle maybe the awesome torque and smooth transition of power fronm the 4.3 V6 and rare manual transmission and the fact you can pull away on tick over and the sheer weight of the thing but it seems unstoppable ln the snow when all around were getting stuck including a new M5! Glad you got back OK Claire I knew it was a good call to turn back.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2806140)   #128
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Got back at 6.30! turned back Al after I spoke to you and it took me that long to get back ...dont ya just love rear wheel drive bemmers in the snow!!!
Does this mean I wont get my T shirt before Christmas? It's my main present to my wife and I think she'll be upset now as she'll only be getting the new ironing board she asked for 6 months ago. Will I end up here?
Old 18 Dec 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2806161)   #129
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Does this mean I wont get my T shirt before Christmas? It's my main present to my wife and I think she'll be upset now as she'll only be getting the new ironing board she asked for 6 months ago. Will I end up here?
I will get it to you somehow
Old 19 Dec 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2806257)   #130
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I will get it to you somehow
No rush as long as I have it by April 29th, she needs something smart to wear at the wedding.
Old 19 Dec 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2806314)   #131
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
No rush as long as I have it by April 29th, she needs something smart to wear at the wedding.
Ohhh....I will have to wear something else then now...I dont want to clash
Old 20 Dec 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2806562)   #132
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In that case, for one particular car, I am stupid.

Thank you.

Our 944 Turbo has run for the last 5 seasons with totally standard fuel tank and filler - just standard locking cap. Never any problems with scrutineering, never any leakages or fuel pickup probems........

Guess Porsche are pretty stupid.....
Old 20 Dec 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2806636)   #133
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully not from a Jerry Can?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2806796)   #134
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Our 944 Turbo has run for the last 5 seasons with totally standard fuel tank and filler - just standard locking cap. Never any problems with scrutineering, never any leakages or fuel pickup probems........
I guess you did not refuel in the pit lane then.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2807477)   #135
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopePitstop View Post
I guess you did not refuel in the pit lane then.

Re-fuel from jerry cans, but in the paddock - we've only done CSCC 40 minute races which only need around 1/2 tank with a decent safety margin...
Old 22 Dec 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2807488)   #136
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Re-fuel from jerry cans, but in the paddock - we've only done CSCC 40 minute races which only need around 1/2 tank with a decent safety margin...
We would not allow you to refuel like that at the 6 hour or indeed if we do it, the 24 hour. Our regs for the six hour this year were compliant with the 2011 Regs.

It will be dump churns or dry break as such. The dump churns are cheap but can create issues in respect of filler caps on the slant etc, making the valve not function correctly. However, through looking about (web etc) i see that extension pipes can be obtained that effectively make it easy for the jug to be upright and therefore the valve function correctly and re fueling to be carried out safely.

of course we could always gop back to metal jerry cans and cigerettes etc....but im not sure as thats the best practice...Think we will stick to Tuff Jugs or Dry Break lol

Ta
C
Old 22 Dec 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2807502)   #137
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
We would not allow you to refuel like that at the 6 hour or indeed if we do it, the 24 hour.

Understand that of course - it was more a response to Peter's dismissal of anyone who used such a system in any form of racing as "stupid"

I've never been to the Spa six-hour but have read the reports, which seem to indicate that everyone has to queue up at a petrol pump to refuel......never quite sure why this is a safer method of refuelling than pouring from a jerry can - if you're careless with a fuel pump I'm sure you can wreak just as much havoc!
Old 22 Dec 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2807507)   #138
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've never been to the Spa six-hour but have read the reports, which seem to indicate that everyone has to queue up at a petrol pump to refuel......never quite sure why this is a safer method of refuelling than pouring from a jerry can - if you're careless with a fuel pump I'm sure you can wreak just as much havoc!
Yes, but pumps are away from the pitlane. All the cars refuel in a controlled area away from the pits. Well, supposedly controlled It can be good spectator sport watching.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2807521)   #139
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
We would not allow you to refuel like that at the 6 hour or indeed if we do it, the 24 hour. Our regs for the six hour this year were compliant with the 2011 Regs.

It will be dump churns or dry break as such. The dump churns are cheap but can create issues in respect of filler caps on the slant etc, making the valve not function correctly. However, through looking about (web etc) i see that extension pipes can be obtained that effectively make it easy for the jug to be upright and therefore the valve function correctly and re fueling to be carried out safely.

of course we could always gop back to metal jerry cans and cigerettes etc....but im not sure as thats the best practice...Think we will stick to Tuff Jugs or Dry Break lol

Ta
C
If someone has a thirsty car at say 1 litre per minute does that mean they need to have 18 dump churns assuming they wont be more than 20 litres each for the 6 hour and 72 for a 24 hour race?
Old 22 Dec 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2807538)   #140
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>However, through looking about (web etc) i see that extension pipes can be obtained that effectively make it easy for the jug to be upright and therefore the valve function correctly and re fueling to be carried

Could you give me chapter & verse on that Claire, I believed it wasn't available? We used an extension pipe last year which JG approved, but it bypassed the spring valve.

BTW, anyone see the pic in Motor Sport this month of Stuck being refuelled in the F1 March, holding the funnel up with his head!
Old 23 Dec 2010, 04:57 (Ref:2807615)   #141
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Understand that of course - it was more a response to Peter's dismissal of anyone who used such a system in any form of racing as "stupid"
And I maintain that position for numerous reasons that I won't go into here. However I note your car is fuel injection, thus a sealed system which would explain why it passes scrutineering.

On the point of refueling and extension pipes: Surely that effectively negates the "dry break" effect of the churns? Remember the churns stop filling when the tank is full. Putting an extension pipe on to a filler nozzle means that you can potentially fill the extension before the cut off works thereby retaining a volume of fuel outside of the tank and the churn. Where does that go? If that is the case then IMO it fails the test applied by the regs.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 05:33 (Ref:2807621)   #142
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On the point of refueling and extension pipes: Surely that effectively negates the "dry break" effect of the churns? Remember the churns stop filling when the tank is full. Putting an extension pipe on to a filler nozzle means that you can potentially fill the extension before the cut off works thereby retaining a volume of fuel outside of the tank and the churn. Where does that go? If that is the case then IMO it fails the test applied by the regs.
Agree with you there Peter. Only correct way would be extension between cut off valve and churn itself, which ain't possible with Tuff Jug. Last 3hr saw some extensions on churns that rendered cut off inoperative, and they passed scrutineering!

The main problem with filling from Jugs / Churns is getting air out of tank at same rate as fuel going in. If you can't do that the fuel will try to find somewhere else to go. Much attention needed to breather system to achieve!
Old 23 Dec 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2807622)   #143
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
If someone has a thirsty car at say 1 litre per minute does that mean they need to have 18 dump churns assuming they wont be more than 20 litres each for the 6 hour and 72 for a 24 hour race?

Lost me there Tim. Max in garage at any one time is 60 litres I believe (3 churns at 20 litres each or if made by different firm, some churns are 25 ltre so that would mean 2 churns)

How many you have is up to you, but you can only have 3 in the garage at any one time
Old 23 Dec 2010, 05:59 (Ref:2807624)   #144
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
There was one car last time that would pass me at full chat then round the next corner would be almost stationary, can't remember who it was
Just spotted this.

Point 1. We were never at full chat because we pegged the revs back by 800 rpm and ran a restricted exhaust.

Point 2 when the fuel pump was breaking up you were going faster than me, so your scenario never happened.

And as I said to Lancsbreaker, if you run a sealed injection system then I can see how it would pass scrutineering. But I question how you can foam fill a standard tank?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 06:38 (Ref:2807627)   #145
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chestnut anyone?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2807667)   #146
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Lost me there Tim. Max in garage at any one time is 60 litres I believe (3 churns at 20 litres each or if made by different firm, some churns are 25 ltre so that would mean 2 churns)

How many you have is up to you, but you can only have 3 in the garage at any one time
My point is that jerry cans seem to be banned, even in the paddock unless I have got my wires crossed, so how do you refill the churns? I would assume almost everyone needs more than 60 litres for the 6 hour.
BTW I haven't read every single post on the thread.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2807671)   #147
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
, so how do you refill the churns?
VERY carefully Tim

Seriously, it's the H & S culture. We have to state what the rules are. How they're implemented, obeyed and policed is another matter.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2807672)   #148
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
My point is that jerry cans seem to be banned, even in the paddock unless I have got my wires crossed, so how do you refill the churns? I would assume almost everyone needs more than 60 litres for the 6 hour.
BTW I haven't read every single post on the thread.
This year we walked over to the fuel station and refilled the churns then carried them back to the pit garage or the truck/trailer if there was already fuel in the garage. Part of the keep fit campaign.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2807695)   #149
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
VERY carefully Tim

Seriously, it's the H & S culture. We have to state what the rules are. How they're implemented, obeyed and policed is another matter.
Ok Im quoting my 360 classmate but taking Peter Mallets post into consideration.

there is also the other major factor....COMMON SENSE lol

now people this thread is about the 24 hour proposition, not just about refueling so I wont keep on about it.

In the garage, its 60 litres top, do what PM did this year, fill either from the pump or from your own container, so long as its within regs and safe.

I thank you x
Old 23 Dec 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2807702)   #150
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
My point is that jerry cans seem to be banned, even in the paddock unless I have got my wires crossed, .........
I don't think that was the rule last year, I *think* (without checking) the refuelling rules only covered the pit lane and the garages. We refilled our jug in the mobile workshop (while it was stationary of course).

Last edited by MGDavid; 23 Dec 2010 at 12:01. Reason: added common sense ;-)