Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Mar 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1535142)   #1
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many Colin Osbournes are there racing in Australia?

I had some information passed to me yesterday concerning the Nurburgring 24 Hour event in May last year.

The information suggested that Colin Osbourne ran in this event in one of Mal Rose's Mirages and this appears to be substantiated by this web page http://www.toyo.com.au/Nurburgring%202005.1.htm

However - at the same time Osbourne was supposed to be in London, on CAMS business, signing off on the insurance policy (which the MG Car Clubs barrister is now questioning) and CAMS are stating that Colin Osbourne, CAMS President did not compete in this event and that it was another Colin Osbourne who competed. The reason for this denial, according to what was passed to me, was that CAMS had paid for his London trip and therefore any motor sport activity he undertook whilst over there couldn't be funded by CAMS - a reasonable statement.

The reason this came up was that at the time, the NSW State Council had apparently organised a meeting with invitations going out for attendees to meet with Allan Moffat, the CAMS President (Colin Osbourne), CAMS directors and enjoy a 'gourmet luncheon'.

Apparently Osborne was the only one not to turn up (although one source suggested the 'gourmet luncheon wasn't in attendance either) and when asked where he was, CAMS information was 'that he had to go to London to sign off on our insurance policy'

So the question I am asking - is there another Colin Osbourne who competes in this country that either claims to be President of CAMS (as stated in the link above) or who simply has the same name, has an international licence and competed for Mal Rose at the 2005 Nurburgring 24 Hour?

(And before the usual crowd come forward to say 'CAMS bashing' - isn't it nice to know that IF this is the same Colin Osbourne who is the CAMS President, that CAMS are straight forward in saying they are funding his overseas motor racing as well as him bieng the present CAMS President?)

Final thought - would this be deemed sponsorship or subject to Fringe Benefits Tax?
Old 3 Mar 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1535183)   #2
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lol!!!!
Old 3 Mar 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1535184)   #3
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont worry about how many Colins there are, how about Ol "TBA " now there is a driver who gets about

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 3 Mar 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1535199)   #4
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
It often makes me wonder if all the TBA's should be shown as being Tasmanian - but as they sometimes appear overseas - well you have to wonder (and laugh)
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1535273)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I gotta say thats a pretty interesting story there Nigel.

I have no idea if its true or not but it would be nice to find out the truth.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1535291)   #6
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another

Thats right up there with the program entry for an old Singapore GP.....A.N. Other
Old 3 Mar 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1535379)   #7
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlooker
Dont worry about how many Colins there are, how about Ol "TBA " now there is a driver who gets about
or the guy who wins alot of Speedway finals.....,,W.A.SHout
Old 3 Mar 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1535383)   #8
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God I hope there is only one!
Old 4 Mar 2006, 05:18 (Ref:1535890)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a great shame that CAMS are not accountable to the general Memebership out there.
Old 4 Mar 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1535953)   #10
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine if there are really 2 of them, although they might be able to get together and poole their talents to up the anti and then you would have a president with an even bigger head who still cant drive.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 00:07 (Ref:1536985)   #11
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Somebody pointed out to me that I had spelt 'Osbourne' incorrectly. Wel - yes I did, and no I didn't.

I purposely spelt it the way it was used in the article I linked to for last years Nurburgring - they spelled it with a 'U' whereas the CAMS President spells it without the 'U'.

Whichever way it is spelt, however, it would appear that CAMS are insisting that there is another Colin Osborne who races in Austraia and has an International licence enabling him to run, using the name 'Colin Osbourne, CAMS President' entered by Mal Rose.

I have also been led to understand that whilst CAMS are insisting that their President did not run in any motor sport event whilst on a CAMS-funded junket err I mean trip to London last May, a certain branch of the Australian Government which is charged with collecting money is also now interested in this as it would seem, according to an email this morning, that they believe someone or somebody now owes the tax office a sizeable contribution.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1536995)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread made my day. Very entertaining, storyline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
(although one source suggested the 'gourmet luncheon wasn't in attendance either)
It just doesn't get any better than that!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1537010)   #13
cav
Racer

So what is the answer, there are plenty of people on here who supposedly have the low down, did he drive of didnt he. My guess is he did and what do CAMS intend doing about having the money refunded. On that point there are quite a lot of individuals who run their CAMS volunteer support from government offices and government computers like Graham Emerton who runs the CAMS Aust Motorsport Group on government computers etc. Maybe it is time the whole scene is looked into not only by the tax man but also by the government bosses.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 01:58 (Ref:1537012)   #14
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
I believe there is a big distinction here between the volunteer and the professional.

Emmerton may run his from a government office (maybe not for much longer now this has been openly stated though!) but he doesn't race a car.

Osborne, on the other hand, was paid to go to London - maybe not in terms of salaray, but certainly in terms of travel expenses.

He was also racing in Germany for Mal Rose - who, it would now appear, saved money by getting a 'travel-free' driver that had travel subsidised by CAMS.

But what stinks more than anything is the CAMS assertion that Osrborne didn't take part in any racing whilst he was in London - OK I guess technically he didn't - but I would be reasonably sure he didn;t return to Australia and then fly straight back out to Germany again.

There is more to this than has so far been made public - for instance - the marketing panel 'do' that Osrborne didn't attend apparently hasn't met since that luncheon despite Papadopolous being appointed (I believe 'elected' was the word used by CAMS) as Chairman - so far he hasn't had anyone else elected or appointed to the panel and it hasn't met since - despite, as I am led to believe, a number of events being put forward to CAMS to be 'looked after' by this marketing panel (the upcoming Bathurst Easter Festical is one major event 'overlooked' by the Marketing Panel).
Old 6 Mar 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1537015)   #15
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My apologies for making light of this topic, I couldn't help but see the funny side of it.

Looking at this NATSOFT race result:
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...3/1999.ARDC.P4
There are two Colin Osbo(u)rnes in existence. BOTH entered Toyota MR2s, however only Osborne without the "u" raced the one he entered.

That press release "TOYO PRODUCT TESTIMONIAL" is boldly confident that the Colin Osbourne that competed was the CAMS president.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1537023)   #16
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
There were two Colin Osbornes at Wakefield on the weekend as well - but only one raced.

Split personality?
Old 6 Mar 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1537027)   #17
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An old conman trick is to change the spelling on names to confuse people,eg: smith smyth smithe,jonson johnson johnstone,....but that's what conmen do.

Maybe there is two Colin Osbornes,after all there's three David Parsons.

Old 6 Mar 2006, 03:30 (Ref:1537030)   #18
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Ahhh but how many would be also labelled 'CAMS President'?

I am aware of two David Parsons - who is the third? (Truckie - VIC - and Skippy - TAS)
Old 6 Mar 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1537075)   #19
cav
Racer

I think the third is Osborn haschanged his name and is really the third Parsons you alude to and he wants to be president. If all three poole their driving talent he still wont be any good behind the wheel but he will have a monster head.

I want to know, did CAMS really say that it was another Osborn who raced OS or is that what someone said on this forum. Why cant one of you guys get a proper statement out of CAMS.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1537083)   #20
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a David Parsons who used to run a Honda Civic in NSW Club Events.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1537110)   #21
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
I want to know, did CAMS really say that it was another Osborn who raced OS or is that what someone said on this forum. Why cant one of you guys get a proper statement out of CAMS.
Officially they won't answer the question or talk about it.

Unofficially they have stated (ie those from National Office) that Colin Osborne, CAMS President did not partake in any motor racing activities whilst overseas last May whilst he was finalising the CAMS insurance policy and that he was there on official CAMS business.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1537114)   #22
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
I think there is a David Parsons who used to run a Honda Civic in NSW Club Events.
That's Phil Parsons.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1537115)   #23
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does Mal Rose say??????
Old 6 Mar 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1537132)   #24
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right alfacors.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1537151)   #25
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbond
What does Mal Rose say??????
It is easy really, he said "oh sh!t, another CAMS muck up.