Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Jan 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1806399)   #1
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise restrictions in LMS and FIA GT?

hello

as all of you probably know from many of my relatively inocuous rants about diesel cars, audi R10 etc etc.

and also my rants about noise restrictions and silencers being imposed on the LMS cars, and as well in the FIA GT.

i am wondering in the LMS will all cars be subject to the dreaded noise restrictor?

as far as i know the only cars that will have to run with a noise restrictor are the aston martin DBR9, and the porsche GT3 RS and RSR's?

what will be happening with noise restrictions, i really dont want the ACO to impose noise restrictions on all the cars unnecissarily.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1806402)   #2
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't there a noise limit on GT2 in FIA GT now? I did inquire here as to why but I was redirected to a thread which said nothing about it...

Not heard anything said about LMS noise limits.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1806477)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's a new Le Mans/LMS noise limit but only the Aston and Judd are affected, the difference will not be noticable trackside.

Turbo cars and V8s's are way below the limits.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1806504)   #4
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
There's a new Le Mans/LMS noise limit but only the Aston and Judd are affected, the difference will not be noticable trackside.

Turbo cars and V8s's are way below the limits.
I think the Zytek will also be affected--definitely in 4 liter form. Although installation will have an effect, it will need to rev higher than the 5 liter Judd (having similar BHP) and ought to produce as much, if not more, noise.

There are figures from last year's LM and maybe I am totally wrong on this but I would presume that more revs means more noise.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:30 (Ref:1806722)   #5
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me that Db limits only serve to punish the smaller capacity engined cars, which generally produce more noise.

And yet part of this whole new Eco friendly future is to encourage people to buy more smaller engined cars.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1806727)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
It seems to me that Db limits only serve to punish the smaller capacity engined cars, which generally produce more noise.

And yet part of this whole new Eco friendly future is to encourage people to buy more smaller engined cars.
I raced many years with noise rules. H.P. can be maintained while staying below a decent level. Not saying you can not reduce hp by restricting noise output.

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1806820)   #7
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real problem is getting the silencers to last for the length of the race while still fitting inside the car. For sprint races, there would generally be no problem. For longer races, the silencers just burn out and their effectiveness disappears. For six hour races, there will be a problem. Pretty much all the normally aspirated cars will need to change silencers unless the ACO takes a relaxed approach. This noise rule is just a blatant dig at NA engines and a major benefit for turbo and diesel motors.

Unless the ACO turns a blind eye, the LM24 will be a fiasco with teams having to pit regularly to change silencers.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1807690)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ACO should change one of the ad boards to say in French

F*** THE RESSIES, REAL CARS ARE LOUD!

Seriously, silencers are pointless unless the cars can cause significant ear damage for spectators - then there are ear plugs
Old 5 Jan 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1807707)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
The ACO should change one of the ad boards to say in French

F*** THE RESSIES, REAL CARS ARE LOUD!

Seriously, silencers are pointless unless the cars can cause significant ear damage for spectators - then there are ear plugs

Ah, life in the real world among the masses blows! But unfortunately they make the ordinances that we have to play by!!! And frankly they could give a rats ___!! Sorry to say!

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1807709)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
The real problem is getting the silencers to last for the length of the race while still fitting inside the car. For sprint races, there would generally be no problem. For longer races, the silencers just burn out and their effectiveness disappears. For six hour races, there will be a problem. Pretty much all the normally aspirated cars will need to change silencers unless the ACO takes a relaxed approach. This noise rule is just a blatant dig at NA engines and a major benefit for turbo and diesel motors.

Unless the ACO turns a blind eye, the LM24 will be a fiasco with teams having to pit regularly to change silencers.
That is why you measure them at the begining and please the ____ people who try to inforce the ordinances. You know the game!!

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1807804)   #11
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
That is why you measure them at the begining and please the ____ people who try to inforce the ordinances. You know the game!!

L.P.
Nawwww just put out a few press releases saying that there will be noise restrictions. Then have a faulty sound meter.

If ppl have a problem with LOUD race engines, pass out ear plugs or have them leave or move away.

The real game is just say NO.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1808248)   #12
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with duke toaster completely, i am very much against forcing noise restrictors on the cars.

motorsport is an experience, the noise, the power, the sight and the atmosphere these cars create can not be matched, not even by F1.

but unfortunately the way the ACO seems to think "green" is to take away the excitement, and, the experience of motorsport.

at silverstone in 2005 i was sat at the top of the bridge on the hangar straight, the porsche's and ferrari's were stupidly loud, but god did they sound glorious screaming down the hangar straight.

and then standing on the bank at club and watching the cars screaming towards bridge corner's pre chicane, is wonderful.

so i guess this is probably what cars will be affected then:

LMP1

pescarolo judd
dome HS101 judd
courage LC70 mugen
courage LC70 judd
zytek 06S
creation CA06H judd

LMP2

radical SR9 judd
lola B05/40 judd
courage C65 judd
courage C65 mecachrome
porsche RS spyder

GT1

aston martin DBR9
ferrari 550 GT
ferrari 575 GTC

GT2

ferrari 430 GTC
porsche 996 GT3 RS/RSR
porsche 997 RSR
ferrari 360 modena GT/GTC
spyker C8R GT
panoz esperante GTL
BMW M3 GT

although some of the cars i have listed are in the ALMS and not racing anymore, its very sad the ACO has essentialy killed the noise of lemans.

sportscar racing has quite literally lost its voice

still atleast there will be no noise restrictions on the group C historic meetings in 2007
Old 6 Jan 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1808253)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It has been said only the DBR9 went over the 113db limit, so is it really going to be that much of a problem outside of FIA GT events? or has the ACO introduced some other new ruling I've been blissfully unaware of?
Old 6 Jan 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1808271)   #14
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
It has been said only the DBR9 went over the 113db limit, so is it really going to be that much of a problem outside of FIA GT events? or has the ACO introduced some other new ruling I've been blissfully unaware of?
well im not sure anymore but i first thought noise restrictions were only going to apply to the aston martin DBR9, and the porsche GT3 RS/RSR's.

but after reading some of the comments on here, it is likely all of the naturally aspirated engines, bar the corvette and saleen V8's will be noise restricted.

although the turbo cars will remain unrestricted, there is no lovely gruff sounding dallara nissan turbo anymore.

is there any official word on what cars will be noise restricted next year, maybe a list of cars from the ACO that will run with silencers, and cars with straight pipes?
Old 6 Jan 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1808320)   #15
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob

No I do believe that you have the situation well in hand Bob.

L.P.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1808325)   #16
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO regs: http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...4hauto_gb.html

Quote:
Noise level : The sound emitted from each car will must not exceed 113 dbA during the qualifying practices and the race. The measurement will be made at 15 meters from the edge of the track.
If I remember right only Astons were over 113dbA last year.

Fia GT1 and GT2 regs dated 12.12.2005 http://www.fiagt.com/downloads.php

Quote:
The noise generated by the car is not to exceed 110 dB (A) at 3800 rpm, or three quarter maximum revs if less.

This will be measured at a distance of 0.5 m and at a angle 45 degree angle to the point of exit of the exhaust.
All measures which are taken to ensure that the maximum noise limits are not exceeded must be permanent in nature, and must not be removed by the exhaust gas pressure.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 00:42 (Ref:1808610)   #17
ccharlie6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
ccharlie6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess it's lucky that wonderful engines like the judd 4L, the LNT TVR 400R's and any 4rotor engine aren't in competition any more! if i heard them silenced i think i would feel cheated!!! after the 2005 LMS race at silverstone i would say the aston's, the porsches and without a shadow of a doubt the LNT TVR's wouldn't have met 113Dba