Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2869254)   #2501
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
FFS! How many more pages of pointless moaning will this thread take? If you have nothing worth reading to contribute then just don't.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2869255)   #2502
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
I personally think they should drop out and come back with a new aero package for next year.
Your proposed solution for the engine failures is a new aero package

We have no clue how good the mechanical and aero package are, because the engine is completely unreliable at this stage.

The whole project got the green light too late. They knew that the engine would blow, but the solution for this issue will only be available on Tuesday. Sadly the test day came a few days too early.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2869267)   #2503
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
They were slower and covered less miles than the Oreca-Hybrid, for ffs! :
It's a meanigless stat, once the issue was discovered Richards had a meeting with the engineers to discuss their test schedule, then flew his engine team home early so they could press on with the next phase of development.

Today was a test, the AMR-One lost nothing, the R18 has won nothing.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2869268)   #2504
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
You only need look at the mistep Audi took with the '99 R8C.....

Yep, what a desperate shame Audi pursued the R8R route instead of developing the coupe......
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2869272)   #2505
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
It's a meanigless stat, once the issue was discovered Richards had a meeting with the engineers to discuss their test schedule, then flew his engine team home early so they could press on with the next phase of development.

Today was a test, the AMR-One lost nothing, the R18 has won nothing.
No, it only shows how late the whole project is. AFAIK, they've run before with the Aston (with engine problems, let's not forget), something the Hope Racing had not the luxury to.

Let's hope that their performance in Spa is much improved!
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2869279)   #2506
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the insight knighty. This board is awesome, you page someone and they show up!

Would an issue with flexing be less likely to show up on the dyno compared to the cylinder lining issue, since the flexing should at least in part be a product of the actual mounting in the chassis? I'm trying to figure out why the engine, which should have been the bit they got on top of first, is causing so much struggle. I would have thought that the liner issue would have shown up on the dyno ages ago.

The other thing that gets me is that if they knew they had this issue and planned upgrades, why did they bring 2 cars to test day knowing they had a fatal flaw? I would have thought time and money would be best spent at home.

I agree with gwyllion that without a functional engine we and probably they have no idea what sort of mechanical or aerodynamic potential the car holds.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2869289)   #2507
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
The car's late, a disappointment so far, and I'd hoped for a lot better given the run at Ricard and subsequent test, plus the couple of days they spent at Spa.

That said a common fault that hadn't raised its head so far is something I can handle, so long as they work professionally to fix it. Nothing I see about Prodrive gives any indication that they won't work very hard to get things as right as they can before June; we're not talking about Andrea Moda in Formala 1 here. I'm happy to hold judgement until Spa in a couple of weeks - there I'd like to see them run credibly, if it's not there by then I'll ask questions.

To others questioning their place in June I'm curious as to what we really think is being kept out? The Kronos Lola AM probably deserves an entry but what else are we missing out on? On the other hand, if you though 1992 was a brilliant year you're probably right - get rid of this attempt to do something different, all we need is a trio of Audis and Peugeots and that'll be fine; just not something I personally am in a hurry to watch.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2869305)   #2508
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree with isynge about the calls to step aside. I'd rather watch a works team try and get themselves together than let in some average runners. That's just my opinion as much as I do enjoy the V12 Lola-Aston.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2869308)   #2509
reef1234
Rookie

reef1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What running at Spa???
Old 24 Apr 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2869310)   #2510
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef1234 View Post
What running at Spa???
Cited by Andy Meyrick in his twitter feed. Not a huge fan of the guy, but no reason to assume he's telling senseless lies about spending time testing at Spa.

Drill down at http://twitter.com/#!/AndyMeyrick and you should find reference to him going and coming back.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2869367)   #2511
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
FYI http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch11.html has some closeup picture on the exhaust and the left side of the engine bay.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2869371)   #2512
reef1234
Rookie

Guess that there is no way Andy could be testing something other than LMP1 at Spa.... 2 + 2 = 5
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2869374)   #2513
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
No need to do any guessing. This tweet is pretty clear:
Quote:
Development of the AMR-One continues with a two day test at Spa.
source: http://twitter.com/#!/AMR_Teams/stat...22217236414464
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2869379)   #2514
reef1234
Rookie

AMR_Teams that official tweeter!!! Who must have read Andy's and ASSUMED the same!!!!!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2869388)   #2515
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Okay, in hindsight the hypothetical 2 day Spa test was a bit close to the official Le Mans test. And now that we have seen how reliable the new engine is, it is safe to assume that Meyrick was testing something else
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2869389)   #2516
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Okay, in hindsight the hypothetical 2 day Spa test was a bit close to the official Le Mans test. And now that we have seen how reliable the new engine is, it is safe to assume that Meyrick was testing something else
Most likely an old C2 Spice.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2869390)   #2517
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I would rather see them staying at home then showing up and making a fool of themselves at Le Mans in june.
They have a great reputation at Le Mans but that does not make you an overall winner there!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:04 (Ref:2869411)   #2518
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couldn't have been testing at Spa, Dave Richards on RLM explained that the reason for them being so rubbish in public is "apart from race conditions, there are no tracks you can take a prototype like this and be allowed to do any proper testing, so we are having to do the development in public".

So either he was spouting BS or there really is nowhere in Europe that you can run an LMP1 test program; who knew?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2869426)   #2519
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
If they did test the AMR-One at Spa, as Andy Meyrick's tweet suggests, then, following Dave Richards' logic, will we see them perform much better on Saturday week?

Nowhere in Europe to test? Every other team -specifically Audi and Peugeot can come to the party with a well-sorted car, so why not Aston Martin?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2869436)   #2520
reef1234
Rookie

Andy's tweet said he was testing but nothing about it being in an AMR-One...... And no there isn't a circuit in Europe with same four flat out straights one after each other to put the engine under the same loads!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2869452)   #2521
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Couldn't have been testing at Spa, Dave Richards on RLM explained that the reason for them being so rubbish in public is "apart from race conditions, there are no tracks you can take a prototype like this and be allowed to do any proper testing, so we are having to do the development in public".

So either he was spouting BS or there really is nowhere in Europe that you can run an LMP1 test program; who knew?
Is that quote to Ricards accurate? I can't believe he actually said that. Peugeot and Audi have been doing more testing this year than I can ever recall them doing. Not to mention, if that were indeed the truth, there any many places to test outside of Europe.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2869471)   #2522
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He said something along the lines that suitable test venues were limited due to noise restrictions, being booked up etc.

They are testing in private and publicaly as new parts and developments are coming on stream weekly.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2869474)   #2523
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Ricard is not a possibility? They did miss the LMS test I think. Probably because the car was not ready yet.

I highly doubt that Richards and the AMR boys wanted this to happen. They must be quite embarrassed to choke on themselves at Le Mans. Last year Audi also had a very bad start to the year and we're really looking quite humbled at Le Mans until Peugeot tripped over themselves.
So, although AMR doesn't have a budget as high as Audi, I do hope we'll see these problems solved. I'll hold my thoughts until after Spa.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2869476)   #2524
JAG
Veteran

England
They tested at Paul Ricard, the bigger point was new parts were coming on stream at such a rate they were still effectively building the definitive car, at which point they can start building up spares.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2869519)   #2525
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Everyone seems to have excuses du jour for Aston, but Aston simply should have used this as a by-year to develop the car out of the public eye aiming for a race debut late 2011 or Sebring 2012. The execution of this project, full on in the public eye, is not professional by any standards. Where was the need to attend Le Mans this year, especially given the very late start date? As it is now, if they scratch from Le Mans (and this is within the realms of possibilities, like it or not), what would have been the difference if they had simply tested in private this season aiming for Le Mans next year, other than the really bad publicity?