Old 18 Aug 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3291150)   #1
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park's History

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ghri1Wrhf0

When I was a kid I was dragged up around Oulton. Pretty much went to every meeting with my Dad.

Ive seen footage of probably the 60's before with loads of trees and half tyres sticking out of the ground etc but I didn't realise the track layout started off like that.

Ive seen what I presume was the old track used for rally X in the early 80's I think ( I was only a kid and might be wrong )

So when did the track changes get made ?
Old 18 Aug 2013, 14:27 (Ref:3291318)   #2
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That video is round the Fosters layout - and it has barely changed in 60 years.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3291325)   #3
paulSenna
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
paulSenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not the Fosters layout, the original circuit cut inside Fosters.

The Fosters circuit was first used in 1975.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3291396)   #4
Kylegibson
Rookie

England
God's County
Kylegibson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This website might help with the history of the track
Old 18 Aug 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3291398)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember marshalling at a club rally event at Oulton in the late 80s. Various routes around the different circuit layouts and gravel support tracks were used to ceate a single day, multi stage event. We manned a couple of tyre chicanes somewhere out past Island.

From memory the overall circuit layout, with Foster's, Island and International (Shell) was largely as it is today, except for the much more recent opening out of Lodge.

High Moor Rally Club I think it was, seem to remember it being an annual event in November. I definitely remember it being properly frosty!
Old 18 Aug 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3291450)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
That's the original circuit, which went right after the Avenue, with the lake at what is now Cascades to the left of the track, rather than to its right as on the Fosters circuit.

That part of the old circuit is still clearly visible as a road off the track just before the Cascades gravel trap & alongside the lake. It's been taken out at the far end by the widening of the run-off to the right of the circuit between Knickerbrook & Clay Hill - it would have rejoined the exisating circuit somewhere around the top end of the Knickerbrook gravel trap.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3291601)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
With all the trees in the surroundings (and right next to the track) the original Oulton circuit certainly justified it's 'Park' status.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3373660)   #8
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It's been taken out at the far end by the widening of the run-off to the right of the circuit between Knickerbrook & Clay Hill - it would have rejoined the exisating circuit somewhere around the top end of the Knickerbrook gravel trap.
It actually joined the later circuit about 3/4 the way up Clay Hill.
I think the last time it was used for competition would have been for one or possibly more RallyCross meetings, probably in the '80s.
From memory the RallyX circuit started about Dentons, ran down through Cascades, part way along Lakeside before veering off to the right behind the Foster's Box, joining the track on the run down from Hill Top, then ran round Knicker and most of the way up Clay Hill before, hairpinning right onto the original circuit and then right again to rejoin the tarmac at the entrance to Cascades.