Old 16 Aug 2003, 20:55 (Ref:689973)   #1
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you BRSCC-SE

Hi ppl.

I appreciate that there is another thread about Brands Hatch 16/17th August, but I felt that my day required special mention:

At sign-on, bottled water was "forced" upon me (thanks Mildred);
I was posted with fellow ten-tenther Claire (thanks Peter);
I endured a minimum of 19 car grids {thanks drivers};
I didn't get sunburnt (thanks God) ;
I was press-ganged into attending the after raffle barbeque (thanks to chefs, too many to mention individually) .

I have 2 complaints though.
1. I have other commitments and am unable to attend tomorrow;
2. Sally-B (B-17 Flying Fortress) didn't fly close for all to savour her wonderful engine noise.

But the guest tickets provided by the club will enable my friend and his wife to hopefully have a brilliant day spectating what look to be some very entertaining driving.

Thanks BRSCC, and I look forwrd to more of the same.

Tim.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 12:41 (Ref:691116)   #2
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also like to add my thanks, I had a great day and got to be on post and I had never done before and spend the day with QBF. I got to try flagging as well as learning about what goes on on the startline.
The water was appreciated, the racing was great and although I couldn't stay for the BBQ it was good that the BRSCC SE took the time to organise it and that quite a few were able to stay and enjoy it.

Last edited by Claire; 18 Aug 2003 at 12:42.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:18 (Ref:691183)   #3
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as a racer at brands yesterday I was cursing the BRSCC. No room in the paddock, had 1 space in the marshalls car park, no room for my guests, race postponed to 6.17pm only 8 laps, joint qual with zetecs, which caused no quick laps due to intense blue flags. the amount of private vehicles in the lower paddock was outrageous. poor organisation and for £200 a disgrace. I'm glad the can organise marshalling and bbq's hopefully they can think about the racers soon!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:29 (Ref:691197)   #4
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish i'd known about the BBQ, i would have gone. As for saturday big grids, good racing meant i enjoyed myself, even if i had nothing to do!

Err when was the B-17 overhead? I wasnt in the loo that long at lunch was I??????
Old 18 Aug 2003, 13:54 (Ref:691230)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
RMR sorry to hear your weekend was fraught. Also sorry your race some somewhat curtailed as we all know FFords usually provide one of the days best races. I thought you did well to get the 8 laps in under the circumstances!
Old 18 Aug 2003, 18:38 (Ref:691525)   #6
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
RMR - I too am sorry to hear of your bad experience. At such big meetings as this one turned into, marshals would probably have been asked to park in the triangle outside the circuit. This would then lead to comments from marshals about parking.
What defines a private car - Could these have been guests for other racers?
From my experience opposite the pits on Saturday, race control were doing everything possible to keep the meeting moving (such as gridding up during recoveries and releasing cars to green flag the moment the recoveries moved into the pit lane). But accidents will happen :-(
Spanner - I was well briefed about the BBQ (knowing about it in advance from the BRSCC), being mentioned to me at sign-on, and being reminded when visited by chief marshal during the day, It was in the same bay as the raffle.
The B-17 flew low level about 5 miles north of Brands, parallel with the M20. No sound, but a failry unmistakable silhouette.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 20:26 (Ref:725791)   #7
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
BRSCC Lydden Hill 20th + 21st September - a couple of sparse grids, but overall very entertaining. I was very sad not to be able to make the barbeque thrown Saturday night by the Ford drivers (who provided excellent racing both days) - I believe there was a pig that was even sadder for being able to make it Big thanks to you guys and gals anyway.
And there were plenty of prizes in the raffle.
Overall - 9/10. 1 mark dopped because of visual violence casued by observer's t-shirt today - I have the photo as evidence.
Thanks again BRSCC
Old 22 Sep 2003, 08:26 (Ref:726105)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
You dont mean Stewerts T shirt do you?

I too enjoyed the weekend at Lydden and like you was unable to make the BBQ very kindly put on by the Ford guys. I understand there was also a Disco on Saturday evening and many sore heads Sunday morning. The weather was fabulous and for the most part so was the racing.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:15 (Ref:726252)   #9
jamo
Rookie

Wales
Stoke on Trent
jamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a competitors viewpoint it was indeed a well run race weekend and overall a thoroughly enjoyable first time visit to Lydden Hill.

To qualify 10th and less than 1 sec off the pole was always going to mean tight racing !! Unfortunately though some of the guys took this a bit far ... I believe the Clerk of the Course was kept rather busy

My thanks to BRSCC SE and the Marshals (and the weather).
Old 22 Sep 2003, 11:41 (Ref:726281)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Jamo, were you the car with the Marshals Club sticker on the side? I was the Observer on post 5 (Devils Elbow)
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:03 (Ref:726391)   #11
jamo
Rookie

Wales
Stoke on Trent
jamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that was a Blue and Yellow Fiesta Zetec (that punted the Orange Zetec up the rear on Sundat), then yes.

Devils Elbow - bit of a busy spot both days ...

Was it yourself that had to deal with a rather upset XR driver then - pointing at car, pointing at other driver, stomping about the post ?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:13 (Ref:726398)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ahh yes, that would be me!!!
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:52 (Ref:726452)   #13
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And me as He dicided to take his fustrations out on one of my marshals first. I was IO on the elbow. It was a good weekends racing only a couple of grids had a poor showing.
The weather was good as well. Thanks to all on post 5 for both days.
RS