Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Sep 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1705697)   #51
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CCWS have signed a memorandum of understanding with Assen and Oschersleben: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54341
Old 9 Sep 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1705748)   #52
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
CCWS have signed a memorandum of understanding with Assen and Oschersleben: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54341
Cool, Assen is great. Might be a tad narrow (unless it was widened in the recent reconstruction that is), but should nonetheless provide good, fast racing.

Too bad the other track will be Oschersleben (a slow, stop-and-go Mickey Mouse track), but Champ Car going to Assen should make up for that
Old 9 Sep 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1705760)   #53
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He also told <i>autosport.com</i> that he hopes to announce next year's calendar "within the next two weeks" and that there is likely to be "15 or 16 rounds."
Good news I guess. Also good news they have returned to Europe just wish it was Germany and England..

I guess Germany isn't that far to travel for a race...
Old 10 Sep 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1706789)   #54
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I guess Germany isn't that far to travel for a race...
Oschersleben will be a waste of time. It isn't suited to anything larger than Formula BMW. F-Renault, F-3 are just boring on this track. Great for GTs though.

Eurospeedway is the only venue that would make sense. Get back on the oval, pronto!
Old 10 Sep 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1707035)   #55
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh definately. the race will be crap at the track. similar to brands hatch indy.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1710231)   #56
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Champ Car World Series president Steve Johnson has declared he is still doing everything in his power to add two European races to the 2007 Champ Car schedule.

He said: "That's what we would love to happen. We have a great fanbase in Europe, a lot of our participating drivers are from Europe, and we can make it work. On my provisional schedule for 2007, I have Assen down for September 23 and Oschersleben for September 30.

"We have signed Memorandums of Understanding with both circuits, and we have until next Tuesday for the financial settlements to be finalised, and we - and our partners at the tracks are using our best efforts to try and make this happen for 2007. We're up against the 11th hour, but we'll work at it."

Should Assen and Oschersleben appear on the final calendar – and there will not be one without the other – it will be a 16-race schedule for next year, with a total of five new circuits, Las Vegas, Zhuhai and Phoenix being the other three.

If the Assen/Oschersleben deal can't be done, the calendar will be 15 races, with possibly a third Canadian race being brought in to plug the hole in September's schedule.

A replacement for Circuit Gilles Villeneuve could be a race at Montreal's abandoned Mirabel airport or Mont-Tremblant.

Source:: Autosport.com
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1710236)   #57
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No chance of them coming to the UK?

We've got so many great circuits for them

Rockingham, Brands GP, Silverstone, Donington Park
Old 14 Sep 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1710271)   #58
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
No chance of them coming to the UK?

We've got so many great circuits for them

Rockingham, Brands GP, Silverstone, Donington Park
Brands Hatch GP or Donington would've been sweet.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1710288)   #59
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mirabel in montreal would be good.

San Antonio is still out there.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1710605)   #60
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A look on the Oschersleben track...

I would prefer the Eurospeedway too... a phantastic track and an oval

It's a shame the race track never hasn't the best management, a lot of financial problems and finally was struggling with a big domestic affair... but on the other hand we taxpayer spend a lot of money for this race track so he should get a chance again...
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:11 (Ref:1710645)   #61
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Carsten, it looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive, or watch the DP-01's go round.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1710844)   #62
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they should come to Spa

Oschersleben... what the hell are they smoking?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1711211)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SPA and lmola perhaps.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1711236)   #64
norman-normal
Veteran

Spa would be heaven
Old 17 Sep 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1712354)   #65
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa indeed would be great, and something I would love to see. Will it happen though? Maybe, especially if the circuits owners and the FIA continue to have difficulties over circuit safety and facilites etc.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1712355)   #66
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
SPA and lmola perhaps.
yep and i remember when they were considered a few years back...along with pau and estoril.

indycool :: i know you said this on another forum but anyway oshersleben does not have poor facilities. how do i know this? there isn't a link but the fact you've never heard of it says for itself...
for champ car racing i doubt it would be good at all as its tight and twisty but it would be fine to hold a race and they had a crack at lausitz which was a success but i doubt they would want to use the infield layout of the oval. the answer is they can't race anywhere, where f1 races due to the fia and realtionship they have with their tracks in europe.

then you said you had never heard of assen and it was also a poor circuit in terms of a farmer track or what ever. assen is a legendary circuit that has held the motorbike tt race for years for motogp. the circuit has been shorterned and more suitable for open wheel then it was before and has great facilities. it would be ideal.

i can understand the importance of a german and dutch race but why not england? three drivers rae english, its the home of motorsport for a start and i'm sure if they promoted it right like they did with a1 gp last year it would be a success at brands hatch this time on the grand prix circuit.

Last edited by luke; 17 Sep 2006 at 16:15.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1712412)   #67
norman-normal
Veteran

Luke, I suspect part of the reason there is not talk of racing in England is due to the people who run things in racing and the motor sports press in the UK. I check the BBC almost daily and there is rarely any mention of CC. It's fairly obvious that BBC sports is not in tune with the UK sports Fans, to me at least. What do you think? perhaps a few e-mails would help? It seems to me that some of the great UK tracks would be a primary consideration.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1712446)   #68
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
Luke, I suspect part of the reason there is not talk of racing in England is due to the people who run things in racing and the motor sports press in the UK. I check the BBC almost daily and there is rarely any mention of CC. It's fairly obvious that BBC sports is not in tune with the UK sports Fans, to me at least. What do you think? perhaps a few e-mails would help? It seems to me that some of the great UK tracks would be a primary consideration.
I think they did in the past but anyway to the big audience, F1, BTCC, WRC, Moto gp and Superbikes is what people mainly follow here.
The thing is Champ Car is no more popular in any other country in Europe then it is here or anywhere else. I just thought as there has been five CART races in the past in the UK that it would be an option obviously there is no longer Reynard or Lola and the interest is gone due to the split etc but there is still three British drivers and more to come; Howard is looking at both for next year, then there's Franchitti and possibly even Manning.
I don't think a few emails would make much difference I know Kevin Kaulkoven reads Champ Car forums as do many people in Champ Car and he does what Champ Car fans want in terms of improving the series but I honestly don't think a few people wishing it to happen could make a difference.
But A1 GP 12 months a go at Brands Hatch was sold out and huge crowds. Why was this? Because they had awesome and it truly was promotion for the event. They could do the same with Champ Car if they wanted. You had all the main motor sport important people come to the last CART race but not the casual fan or non fan that A1 GP managed to get, and that was the general nation itself.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1712461)   #69
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I think champcar pulled 40,000 on race day at brands in 2003 which isn't bad.

Right now, the UK isn't a priority. I think a street race in UK is better. It would turn the motor racing scene upside down there if you brought the champcar street festival concept to stodgy england or scotland. Everyone seemed to think the Birmingham F3000 street race in the late 80's had a lot of potential.

When it all shakes out, I think a 2 race tour each in europe and asia would be great. Plus we will still have surfers in australia. One race in mexico, 3 in canada. The only hole in the usa schedule is the east coast. If we had one race at either sebring or road atlanta and then did one in the northeast, I think we'd be set. I wonder if New Hampshire speedway is interested in talking since their flirtation with the irl years ago killed open wheel racing in New England?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1718067)   #70
Barb Thistle
Rookie

Canada
Acton, Ontario, Canada
Barb Thistle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok so they did announce before this weekends race that the first three are written in stone, Las Vegas (trying to figure out what hotel we want to stay at), Long Beach and Houston.

What we are waiting for is the Toronto date, most Canadians don't see it but with Rich being British this is the problem we see: Toronto is hosting the Under 21 Football World Cup in June/July 2007. Toronto is building a new stadium at Exhibition grounds to host it. There will be games there every weekend in July till the 15th. Now this stadium sits in the middle of the race track so...............................do they do both at the same time, hmmmmm, soccer and race fans at the same venue.
Somehow I doubt it, not enough parking and I doubt that coaches and athletes want Champ Car's racing outside the stadium. Other crimp in the date now, IRL has announced it is racing at Watkins Glen the 8th of July.

Hey if we didn't have "silly season" winter around here would get very boring
Old 25 Sep 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1719576)   #71
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought i heard the comentator on british eurosport say something about silverstone and spa i probably wrong i was half listening anyone else hear the same?
Old 25 Sep 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1719808)   #72
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Thistle
Ok so they did announce before this weekends race that the first three are written in stone, Las Vegas (trying to figure out what hotel we want to stay at), Long Beach and Houston.

What we are waiting for is the Toronto date, Other crimp in the date now, IRL has announced it is racing at Watkins Glen the 8th of July.

Hey if we didn't have "silly season" winter around here would get very boring
Barb, welcome to Ten-Teths, I thought we would never get you here.

So can you both do Vegas, and how about Long Beach back to back. I will see you there.

Re hotels try contacting Racer Keke by PM, she can give you a few pointers.

Did not realise there could be a clash of interests in Toronto, have to get my hotel booking in early.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 23:59 (Ref:1719826)   #73
Barb Thistle
Rookie

Canada
Acton, Ontario, Canada
Barb Thistle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Bob, good things come to those that wait , just wanted to say Hi to all the friends I have over your way, it was great last year between F1 and Toronto to see so many long time friends and make a few new ones.

Las Vegas is one we are definatly looking at, and if the go to Mt. Tremblant (most recent rumour) we will be there as well, you will have to send me your full schedule soon and see what we can co-ordinate.

BTW, I hope it wasn't you flashing a little leg at Catherine that made her go for that roller coaster ride , it was so good to see her walk out of it. One very lucky lady and some great response from Champ Car and the corner workers !!!!!!!
Old 26 Sep 2006, 02:52 (Ref:1719906)   #74
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provisional 2007 Champ Car Schedule:

APRIL 8 -- Las Vegas (street)
APRIL 15 -- Long Beach (street)
APRIL 22 -- Houston (street).
MAY 20 -- Zhuhai, China (road course)
JUNE 10 -- Portland (road course)
JUNE 24 -- Cleveland (airport)
JULY 1 -- St. Jovite, Canada (road course)
JULY 8 -- Toronto (street course)
JULY 22 -- Edmonton (airport)
JULY 29 -- San Jose (street)
AUG. 12 -- Elkhart Lake (road course)
AUG. 26 -- Denver (street)
SEPT. 23 -- (TBC) Assen, Holland (road course)
SEPT. 30 -- (TBC) Oschersleben, Germany (road course)
OCT. 21 -- Surfer's Paradise, Australia (street)
NOV. 11 -- Mexico City (road course)
NOV. 18 -- Phoenix (street)

I don't understand, why can't the Zhuhai and Surfers' races run closer together? Why cross the pacific more often than required?
Old 26 Sep 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1719928)   #75
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, a little surprised they would run anything in May