Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1698956)   #1
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario to fill in for DaMatta

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/32073/

SPEED has learned (and reported by Nicole Manske earlier on SPEED Rip that Franchitti is set to replace the injured Cristiano da Matta in the No. 10 RuSport ride for the final three Champ Car races of 2006.

"Our intent is to run the #10 car in the last three races but nothing is done at this time," responded RuSport owner Carl Russo on Thursday when asked if he'd signed Franchitti.

"Obviously, our first concern was Cristiano and he's making great progress. Now we'll focus on trying to help Justin (Wilson) finish first, second or third in the championship and do the best job we can in supporting him."

That would make him eligible to run Elklhart Lake (Sept. 24), Surfer's Paradise, Australia (Oct. 22) and Mexico City (Nov. 12). Franchitti scored his initial CART win at Elkhart Lake in 1998 and won from the pole at Australia in 1999.

The 33-year-old Scotsman, currently in England for this weekend's Goodwood Festival, had been rumored to have signed with PKV Racing of Champ Car for 2007 but he denied that last weekend at Sonoma, Calif.

Last edited by marcus; 1 Sep 2006 at 03:01.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1698963)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent. A driver with a proven track record. I hope this happens.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Sep 2006, 03:02 (Ref:1698969)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great news , I hope this happens as well
Old 1 Sep 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1698985)   #4
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm,great news if its happens and it would be good having him back in the series with PKV next year.

Now my brother will have a hard choice,which driver to follow when we are at the race in october and who to follow next year in the series as he likes PT,AJ and dario.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1699297)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news if it turns out to be true. It would certainly help balance out the top of the Champ Car field having Franchitti onboard.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1699374)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering the performances seen by other good drivers in the PKV car in recent years (Vasser, da Matta, Servia) - I am doubtful as to whether that's a great move.

It will be great to see him back in the series though...road course racing as he's best at. Though I'd much prefer he were at Newman-Haas or RuSport?

Then again, new car...so everyone has to start afresh with their set-ups, so maybe Forsythe and Newman-Haas won't have it all their own way again next year.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1699380)   #7
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back Ashley!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1699381)   #8
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great! Lets hope it may lead to a drive next year, providing he isn't staying at AGR next year.
Although Franchitti has proved he can win on ovals, he really is a road racer as performances at St Petersburg (before retirement) and Sears point have shown in the IRL this year. Looks like we're set for 4 brit's in the final races!

Speedblood
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1699420)   #9
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood
Great! Lets hope it may lead to a drive next year, providing he isn't staying at AGR next year.
Although Franchitti has proved he can win on ovals, he really is a road racer as performances at St Petersburg (before retirement) and Sears point have shown in the IRL this year. Looks like we're set for 4 brit's in the final races!

Speedblood
Do you think we could get one or two to apply for U.S. citizenship so we could stop this whining?
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1699429)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To me it's perfectly justified "whining". The bulk of US drivers are targeting NASCAR, as there are more secure and well-paid riders, and those who choose open-wheel racing are struggling to get noticed. Other than Graham Rahal, all the Atlantics drivers being linked for 2007 are from elsewhere as well.

Either way, great to have Dario in the series. He is unlikly to be offered an AGR 2007 IRL drive as the team is down on sponsorship, and may see ChampCars as a better route than the ALMS drive he's being linked to.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1699436)   #11
norman-normal
Veteran

I think Dario is about to switch,,, the Judd's will have their way
Old 1 Sep 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1699522)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome back Dario! Champcar welcomes back one of its big names!
Old 2 Sep 2006, 02:48 (Ref:1699719)   #13
volvolean
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
under the staircase
volvolean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so will mr judd do better in the champcar than he does in the irl car?
Old 2 Sep 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1700122)   #14
manbearpig
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
manbearpig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news, it would be really interesting to see Dario in the next race. I hope he will stay in Champcar in the next season.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1700149)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Dario will come back. He is indeed a great name apart from a great racer, and if Autosport carries it, something must be in it!
Old 2 Sep 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1700236)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
YES! Dario was one of my favouirte drivers. Great to have him back. So 4 brits next year. Yay! hope it happens..
This is fantastic news, great to have him back. Champ Car has some big names again...Bourdais, Tracy, Junquiera, Wilson, Allmendinger, Da Matta, Vasser, Franchitti....Yes I know Vasser is probably retired, and da matta won't return soon, but what the hell...
I remember hearing the rumors a few days back, didn't think much of it..
Old 2 Sep 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1700272)   #17
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great surprise to hear, as they said during the Infineon race that Dario was going "road racing" in 2007. This means either Champ Cars or sportscars to me.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1701067)   #18
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it surprise you if Forsythe was shopping around.......?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 02:14 (Ref:1701143)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news. Other than for the $$$ and the lack of stability at the time, I think it was a mistake for Dario to leave CC. I think he's best suited to CC.

I don't think Forsythe would throw in the towel on PT just yet. Besides, he has a long time to go in his contract. They'd be utterly nuts to be shopping around to replace AJ.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1701151)   #20
norman-normal
Veteran

There has been talk of a number of teams going to three cars, and Forsythe
Was one of them.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1702528)   #21
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Franchitti suffers concussion at Goodwood revival & is replaced by AJ Foyt IV for the Indycar finale.

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=7483

Coincidence or not? You decide!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1702531)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep heard the news earlier. Dario is back in Champ Cars!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1702569)   #23
norman-normal
Veteran

Foyt and Andretti together again????? COME ON!!
Something pretty fishy going on here.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1702618)   #24
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Franchitti suffers concussion at Goodwood revival & is replaced by AJ Foyt IV for the Indycar finale.
Errr...isn't this the Champcar board..?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1702622)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
incase you didn't know Dario is likely to drive for RuSPORT for the remaining rounds this year and even possibly PKV for 2007. The fact AGR replaced him even though he will have been basically concussed a week before race day which is fine, proves that he will be in Champ Car. Unless its as pointed out, a coincidence.