Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1722880)   #26
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there for the Blue Angels airshow last year. (I think that's the airport they were at), and if it is that's a GREAT area to host a race.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1723198)   #27
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed it would be a great place for a motor race.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1723323)   #28
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is what I came up for the site...

I put in GMap-Pedometer and got about 2.6 miles. The track runs clockwise and has the customary first turn hairpin that both Cleveland and Edmonton have. I also included a chicane at the end of the back straight that could be used to add variety. What do you think?
Old 29 Sep 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1723345)   #29
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Ovals???? What a step backward for the series, there really should be about 8 in the series.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1723368)   #30
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a few more races, probably 3 or 4 more would complete a very nice looking schedule. That airfield in Rhode Island would be very nice as would Road Atlanta & VIR, both of which are great circuits. I would love to see Miller & Laguna Seca on the schedule as well.

I do still think that it is a tad soon to be trying to race in Europe again though. If it worked it would be great but if even the tiniest thing went wrong then it could be a bit of a disaster for the series as a whole.

For the future.......as F1 is no longer racing at Suzuka & it may or may not go back then it would be a great venue for CCWS. I know it is owned by Honda but surely even they would see that some top line racing is better than none & I think it would be a great show. (What am I thinking?! Of course they wouldn't see it from the logical point of view!)

It is a shame about having no ovals but I honestly think that having none is far better than having one or two badly organised, poorly attended ones. When the two series reunite (which IMO they will eventually have to do) then the ovals can be reintroduced but at the moment CCWS should concentrate on building great street/road races. Having a great line up of races (which I think we're getting closer to) will be very good for the series in the long run whilst as can be seen in the IRL just venturing into the other type of racing can be a bit scrappy. Yes they have some of the best venues in the US but it is still messy.

CCWS should continue what it is doing at the moment (which is improving all the time) to aid it's ffuture strength & stability.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 30 Sep 2006, 03:22 (Ref:1723447)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
Here is what I came up for the site...

I put in GMap-Pedometer and got about 2.6 miles. The track runs clockwise and has the customary first turn hairpin that both Cleveland and Edmonton have. I also included a chicane at the end of the back straight that could be used to add variety. What do you think?
Looks good. I think champcar needs a race in the NE and there appears to be few options available. Quonset would be a perfect place where you would not have to worry about interference from others.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1725454)   #32
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Hopefully the san antonio race will happen in 2008.

Word is they are also looking at miller park, utah and laguna seca for september.
The September date at Laguna will most likely be given to AMA, which I am looking forward to.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1725742)   #33
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road Atlanta would be a natural in view of the fact that the cars are constructed near by. It would give strong incentive for a good turn out in NASCAR country.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1725855)   #34
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is if the fail to attrack at Road Atlanta it puts another nail in the coffin of American OWR. However if they do attract (with more American Drivers) it would be interpretted as the beginning of a turnaround and maybe then Ovals races could return.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 03:09 (Ref:1725870)   #35
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote9999
The problem is if the fail to attrack at Road Atlanta it puts another nail in the coffin of American OWR. However if they do attract (with more American Drivers) it would be interpretted as the beginning of a turnaround and maybe then Ovals races could return.
Sure it is a risk, but one I think worth taking. RA has been around for almost 40 years and there is actually a strong contigent of "sporty car" people in the south and around Atlanta. I think the new car, new drivers, new sponsors and some new races are going to be a boost for next year. 2008 might be a good year for a Road Atlanta race.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1726973)   #36
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Atlanta area is not North carolina, their motor sports claim to fame conducts road racing not oval. BTW what's this "coffin" stuff? Unless you happen to be a vulture, I suspect we're not in bad health.
Old 4 Oct 2006, 03:40 (Ref:1727138)   #37
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "coffin" stuff is only meant to say that Champ Car is not on steady ground yet. They have improved their situation 10 fold in my mind but they are still far away from what CART was. Champ Car still does not have a series sponsor. They still have poor TV ratings. The schedule is still not consistent year by year. I believe the product will be better but we must retain our drivers and attract more "names" and American drivers in order to get more recognition ... TV rating ... sponsors and so on. The last thing we need is to go to Road Atlanta and be reminded of how Nascar has taken controle of the market. Please keep in mind I love Champ Car.
Old 4 Oct 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1727608)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
We discussed it over at ccf a while ago. I proposed the airfield at quonset point south of providence. My father flew with the RI army national guard there for a year while at yale in the eighties. In 1986, RI had their 350th birthday celebration there with a big concert and fireworks display and I remember the crowds were a couple hundred thousand. The airfield is still there but mostly used for airshows. We pulled up some google imagery and it looked like a perfect place for an airport race. Plenty of room, ease of access and I think the northeast is an important market that needs to be exploited. It's just a suggestion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset...,_Rhode_Island

Question:

Is Quonset an active Air Force facility or National Guard facility?

That would create issues with hosting a race there....

I know someone who inquired about possibly running an event at Corronado NAS in San Diego...a venue that hosts a Historics event every October in conjunction with the Holiday Bowl (college football bowl game committee) and other charities....

The Navy considered the request, but declined due to security reasons.

But the red tape and bureaucracy to push through something like this would be enormous....it has to go from the local command, to regional command and finally to the Pentagon for approval...and all three have to see and understand the value of doing such an event.

But.....

If it is a facility that has been closed in recent years through downsizing the number of bases that are active, then there would be very good possibilities to do so...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Oct 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1727749)   #39
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Used to be a NAS until the early 70's.

From global security:

"Quonset State Airport is a public use facility located on a peninsula that combines port, rail, road and air transportation facilities, and an extensive industrial park. It is home to both the Air and Army National Guard, who use the facility for training and aviation operations. In addition to T. F. Green Airport, the Rhode Island Airport Corporation is responsible for five general aviation airports throughout the state: Block Island, Newport, North Central, Quonset and Westerly."
Old 5 Oct 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1729158)   #40
Baritone2400
Racer

United States
Washington,DC
Baritone2400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
East coast East Coast East Coast!!!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1750518)   #41
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Las Vegas... Excellent!
Phoenix... Great!
Mont Tremblant... Good stuff!
China... Bold and potentially brilliant!

No ovals... Not ChampCar anymore.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1750621)   #42
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Las Vegas... Excellent!
Phoenix... Great!
Mont Tremblant... Good stuff!
China... Bold and potentially brilliant!

No. Just not CART any more. It was inevitable really. Crowd attendance dropping...... Why put on an oval race when everybody is keener on watching NASCAB go round them. I love ovals but I fully support the decision to cut them from the calendar whilst the IRL is still in existance. Wait till one falls apart (which I think they eventually will) & then add ovals again. I'd rather have a good road course schedule than having one poorly attended & pointless oval on the schedule.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 27 Oct 2006, 02:42 (Ref:1750660)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I couldn't really care about ovals anymore. I like the current format.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 03:54 (Ref:1750683)   #44
Baritone2400
Racer

United States
Washington,DC
Baritone2400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baritone2400
East coast East Coast East Coast!!!
U know i really have to agree with u. this series really needs to discover a fan base in this part of the country
Old 27 Oct 2006, 03:55 (Ref:1750685)   #45
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ovals will come around again in the future, I'm sure. The current trends of open-wheel racing makes them commercially unviable at the present time. NASCAR's holds the dominant hand in that domain right now, but won't forever.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 04:13 (Ref:1750692)   #46
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I have never been much of a fan of ovals, things are great the way they are at the moment and they are looking like improving further still in the future. Leave the ovals to the IRL...
Old 27 Oct 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1750994)   #47
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think it would be interesting to watch that new Panoz turn left though....
Old 27 Oct 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1751101)   #48
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you'll see that at Las Vegas.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:02 (Ref:1751571)   #49
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
???
Vegas is a street course next year.

Quote:
Me:

Alwaysfirst:

No. Just not CART any more.
Championship Racing kinda became "CART" in 1979. The latter died a painful death not long ago, but ChampCar has managed to survive. An incarnation of this sport has been around for much longer than 27 years, and to the best of my knowledge there has always been an oval. More often than not, there were several. I loved the Triple Crown, but now I'm afraid that those days are gone forever. Actually I've been upset for years, the mere presence of Milwaukee and maybe the Vegas speedway helped a little but didn't cure it. In my opinion (and no, I'm not quoting Mario), ChampCar needs ovals to remain being ChampCar. They're not F1, they're not SportsCar, they're not IRL or NASCAR. What they had was something different, something which they always bragged about. Diversity. And these cars were designed and built for superspeedway racing. (Not referring to the next-generation Panoz). Ever been to Indy, Michigan or Fontana? If not, then maybe you can't fully relate to what I'm trying to say. Eight pitstops or more, putting more emphasis on the pit crews and making it more of a team sport. Five hundred miles, putting more emphasis on mechanical components, driver fitness, and patience. And the bullrings, like Milwaukee, were always great enjoyment for me. Especially when there were 28 cars. Three-wide through two corners, two-wide for seven laps.

I'm rambling now, and for that I apologize.

But it ain't ChampCar anymore. Might as well rename it as far as I'm concerned.

Will I remain a fan? You betcha! For life. I love this game and have followed every current driver since their inception. But have things changed a little for me? Yes.

Heck... In the "good old days" the drivers had to master not only asphalt, but cement, dirt, and even wood. In the "golden years" it was roads, streets, and ovals. Now what is it? Streets with the occassional road thrown in for good measure.

Tres Hombres promised that ovals would remain an intregral part of the schedule. They promised that the Panoz was being engineered for superspeedways.

Rant over. I appreciate Tres Hombres and will forever admire them for saving the sport that I love. Because I wouldn't be happy if it were an all-oval schedule, either.

/rant
Old 28 Oct 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1751633)   #50
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Well macdaddy, let's revisit what Kalkoven said back at Milwaukee. He said when the fans really wanted ovals back they would be back. Let's keep in mind the incessant barking from fans about Road America that convinced champcar to take another punt on it and put it back on the schedule. Champcar monitors the pulse of the fans openly and quietly and right now there is no great demand on the part of us for ovals to return.

The playing field of oval racetracks in the past 10 years has changed. There were many more individual oval track owners we could do business with back then. But now most of these tracks have been gobbled up by a few cartels who are incestously entwined with Nascar. One only has to look at the stinky poo raised over champcars races at las vegas and phoenix by the nascar machine to make one realize these people are not our friends and business partners and we don't need to be racing on their tracks having terms dictated to us. We need to go and do our own thing, which we are, and not be raped by ISC, Nascar, etc.