Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 15 Aug 2020, 23:30 (Ref:3995646)   #1
racerxf12004
Rookie

racerxf12004 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no coverage of Alonso during indy500 qualy

They only mentioned Alonso's name once in the 2 hour coverage of qualifying on NBC. I thought they would at least show his crash from yesterday...
Old 27 Aug 2020, 03:45 (Ref:3998193)   #2
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxf12004 View Post
They only mentioned Alonso's name once in the 2 hour coverage of qualifying on NBC. I thought they would at least show his crash from yesterday...
He made his splash; then underwhelmed; and now is just a fixture.

jimclark
Old 27 Aug 2020, 05:00 (Ref:3998197)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
He made his splash; then underwhelmed; and now is just a fixture.
Hehehe... certainly he (along with his clutch issues) kept under the radar with the also rans. Not sure he will become a fixture though... his return to Renault in F1 next year apparently (so says Cyril Abiteboul‎) has a "No Indy" clause in it. So that's the next couple of years out anyway.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 06:50 (Ref:3998205)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure why they’d mention him any more than other drivers running at the back. even before his clutch issues he was just slow, while his teammates who were rookies at Indy were running in the top 5 for large parts of the race.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:00 (Ref:3998220)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why doesn't he just give up gracefully instead of struggling along at the back?

For the later generation it's just a case of who?.........................
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:27 (Ref:3998224)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Why doesn't he just give up gracefully instead of struggling along at the back?

For the later generation it's just a case of who?.........................
If everyone who was at the back quit then you'd be down to a 4 car race in every series pretty quickly.

He was in F1 a couple of years ago, and back next year. Unless an entire new generation of fans appeared in the last year, I'm pretty sure people know Alonsos name.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3998227)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah he's the old boy trundling round at the back.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3998254)   #8
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ah, just like Kanaan, Castroneves, Carpenter, Pigot, Daly, Power, Pagenaud and many others ?
Old 27 Aug 2020, 13:20 (Ref:3998290)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
daly and pigot are old at 26 and 28? I must be ancient then.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3998300)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:
And has been for years.

Give up Fernando and give the youngsters a chance, all you are doing is embarrassing yourself.
Old 27 Aug 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3998381)   #11
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe... certainly he (along with his clutch issues) kept under the radar with the also rans. Not sure he will become a fixture though... his return to Renault in F1 next year apparently (so says Cyril Abiteboul‎) has a "No Indy" clause in it. So that's the next couple of years out anyway.
'T'was a bad choice of words that..."fixture", my mistake for not explaining. I only meant it as he's nothing new to Indy and was just a "fixture" in the race; his "newness" is gone. Not that he is or will be in the long run. If he had been more competitive, I believe there would have been more mention of him.

Those thinking he's totally over the hill, I disagree. The car's (and especially with all DW12s these days) "setup" is soooo important at Indy, it hasn't been his driving. He just hasn't had the car to shine, as he did in '17. If he gets another in the future, he'll again receive some "noise" about his matching Graham's record of the triple crown of auto racing.
And I agree with fieldodreams also. Sato's no spring chicken (in age or in racing) at 43 either, and he won.....again.....within 4 years.....

Last edited by jimclark; 27 Aug 2020 at 19:31.

jimclark
Old 28 Aug 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3998461)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And has been for years.

Give up Fernando and give the youngsters a chance, all you are doing is embarrassing yourself.
Yeah, we don't have any young ones on the grid right now. No future champions there. We better clear him out so Leclerc, Norris and Russel can get seats.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 09:10 (Ref:3998463)   #13
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NBC didn't show him during the coverage as his contribution to the story of the race was negligible.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 12:24 (Ref:3998491)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxf12004 View Post
If this had been his first attempt then he would have got plenty of coverage, like he did in 2017. However, he missed a year in 2018, returned to Indy last year amidst some hype and failed to qualify. So this year I wasn't surprised he got such little coverage.