Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Mar 2021, 14:19 (Ref:4037923)   #101
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Peter Auto Spa probably off and replaced by track day at Spa end of May
Old 2 Mar 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4037949)   #102
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I see that HRDC who were to run a meeting at Castle Combe on 5 April, reprising the races abandoned because of torrential downpour last year, have now decided that to comply with the Government guidance on travel, it will be deferred to 30 August. Apparently CCRC are still running their local championship events on 5 April.
Britcar have moved two meetings as well. And as said, all because of the inability to stay overnight until 12 April. It does make things difficult. I am not entering Oulton Park on 10 April because: would prefer to travel up the day before and stay over and also feel as though I need to test/ track day there before hand having not sat in any race car since July last year (between lockdowns anyway) but all Oulton days are full.

I would have expected a statement from MSV or MSUK by now to say whether overnight stays at the circuit are actually available/ allowed or not. My understanding from govt advice is that we shouldn’t be staying overnight so it will be interesting to see how many entrants there are that weekend and whether people try to “push the boundaries”!
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:34 (Ref:4037989)   #103
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Peter Auto Spa probably off and replaced by track day at Spa end of May
I see that too. 21/22 May, track day, two grids one "fast" the other "less fast" cars. Each grid will have 8 hours of track in total. But this is TBC because they need at least 50 (Fifty) cars per grid…
I dont think they will have the money in time. 100 cars minimum is a difficult target to reach and they dont even specify the entry fee. More to come on Friday next.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4037991)   #104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Marked the race date as "postponed" on the calendar.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4037993)   #105
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Pour votre première année aux commandes du calendrier, vous êtes "servi", Monsieur Mallett. Thanks and good luck.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4037996)   #106
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Stay prepared to change the dates of both Le Mans Classic and Le Mans 24 Hours, too. End of Aug, early Sept I think.
Serious info too, ACO had to alleviate the staff by fifty people.

Last edited by Gerard C; 2 Mar 2021 at 17:02.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4037997)   #107
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, just waiting for confirmation.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 04:02 (Ref:4038129)   #108
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Stay prepared to change the dates of both Le Mans Classic and Le Mans 24 Hours, too. End of Aug, early Sept I think.
Serious info too, ACO had to alleviate the staff by fifty people.
They are talking August 21/22 as the (potential) new date for the LM24. Hoping that by then the vaccine rollout will allow them spectators.

As Peter M said not yet officially confirmed but seems likely.

https://racer.com/2021/03/02/le-mans...st-allow-fans/
Old 3 Mar 2021, 06:30 (Ref:4038134)   #109
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
They're trying to have the two meetings held within two or three weeks. Good with maths? Here one part of the problem common to the two meetings: must have spectators. Healthy, wealthy and certainly not dead! Then you add: average cost of non permanent track, is 450 k€ per hour. Technical wise its a hassle and you need to involve Gendarmerie, insurances and politics. With around 140 marshal posts, knowing the duration, how many marshals do you need for each meeting? And ACO, owning a lot of LMC (LMC and PA are separated) recently had to get rid of fifty people.
So many people talk about. What do they know? Rely on an old indian proverb: when PA or ACO cancel or delay, bad weather my friend, very bad weather…

Only the cars/drivers/spêctators differ from LM to LMC. They dont have one problem but two. Please, Chris, bear in mind that its not a piece of cake or a just add water job and take carefully all info found here and there…*Crystal clear?
Old 3 Mar 2021, 06:34 (Ref:4038135)   #110
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Presume unless PA can get the thousands of club cars and spectators there is no point in holding Le Mans Classic this year?
Old 3 Mar 2021, 06:47 (Ref:4038137)   #111
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Only some people are really aware of the costs involved. Every single detail becomes a real concern when you think about the duration, race and meeting in total, bearing in mind its a non permanent track. I think they need c one thousand of marshals, plus rescue plus ambulances plus fire dept' plus plus plus. And no clash with any major event! Big budget, big money.
I'm with you, John, no clubs, no spectators, no sponsors …
Old 3 Mar 2021, 06:50 (Ref:4038138)   #112
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Devil is in the details. Spa Classic is "postponed" and replaced by track days. They're not even talking about entry fee, they "just" ask about interest. If this is not what we call "un signal fort"…………
Old 3 Mar 2021, 07:10 (Ref:4038140)   #113
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We have a slight interest in LMC as have about 50 k of fees with PA plus the ferry costs held over from last year!
Hope they make a quick decision . It’s an ideal time for someone like MRL to set up an alternative in UK on the first weekend of July as can see major fall off of people wanting to go to Europe with the carnet situation. Seems Monaco Historics is on being a FIA race which seems to be unbelievable.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 07:51 (Ref:4038143)   #114
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Another good point of course. Behind the curtain, I suspect a lot of discussions and calculations with the insurance companies involved ore more likely re-insurance companies. Yes its the right time to have a big meeting in the UK. As to Monaco…

On a lighter mode, I understand that c 80 k is "something"!
Old 3 Mar 2021, 08:58 (Ref:4038160)   #115
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We have a slight interest in LMC as have about 50 k of fees with PA plus the ferry costs held over from last year!
Hope they make a quick decision . It’s an ideal time for someone like MRL to set up an alternative in UK on the first weekend of July as can see major fall off of people wanting to go to Europe with the carnet situation. Seems Monaco Historics is on being a FIA race which seems to be unbelievable.
The problem may be finding a venue in the UK. Some clubs are already looking to move their March and early April dates to later in the year.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:03 (Ref:4038161)   #116
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Yup a quick decision would be good for all, although I hate to see organisers suffer since they provide our playground. In my case my Le Mans booking is still with the tour company (not quite as expensive as your entry fees etc. John).

As to your second point a 24hrs event would likely be difficult in the UK since I expect all the available dates are already booked. But a two day 12hrs event might work. And if it was 24/25 June it would be (based upon current lockdown timing) the re opening of spectator attended motorsport in the UK!
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:14 (Ref:4038163)   #117
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
A 24 hour race in the U.K. also has noise issues. The C1s are clearly fine!!! But I know that Britcar struggled badly with noise issues the last time it ran a 24 hour race at Silverstone and I am not sure what other tracks are licences/ have planning permission for a 24 hour race.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:14 (Ref:4038164)   #118
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's why I said two 12hr session.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:29 (Ref:4038168)   #119
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Do you really need/want a 24 or 12 hour race? Could be a different thing, several one or two hour for instance. Racing at night brings many troubles, including marshaling.
Each VdeV enduro season used to start with Jarama 12 hours but promptly the rich neighborhood complained about. Not mentioning golf players.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4038169)   #120
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I see Monaco 23/25 April still announce 170 drivers. John, do you have cars from your stable entered, like Maserati 4CM or Frazer Nash may be?
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4038171)   #121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, as Andy said they do run them here. I don't know if there would be an appetite for it but then again we didn't know that a three hour race (The Pall Mall Cup) would be of interest until last year. But, as I said, would be a great way to "reopen" historic motorsport. I would also expect the car clubs to be interested since they've had a dearth of events to attend.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:35 (Ref:4038172)   #122
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The 4 CM is Michael Birch entry and most of FN’s from PBE
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4038177)   #123
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
A 24 hour race in the U.K. also has noise issues. The C1s are clearly fine!!! But I know that Britcar struggled badly with noise issues the last time it ran a 24 hour race at Silverstone and I am not sure what other tracks are licences/ have planning permission for a 24 hour race.
Anglesey can run a 24 hour race (although the last 24 hour to be scheduled there was cancelled due to a lack of marshals). Snetterton can run a single 24 hour race a year (albeit 2CVs have that race sown up).
Old 3 Mar 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4038180)   #124
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I hardly understand why you'd have a 24 hour race. LMC is not a 24H format… The name refers to, yes, but six grids are hosted during 24 hours. I see a difference here.
Old 3 Mar 2021, 10:06 (Ref:4038186)   #125
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I hardly understand why you'd have a 24 hour race. LMC is not a 24H format… The name refers to, yes, but six grids are hosted during 24 hours. I see a difference here.
Yes, but don’t they race those 6 grids in a series of short races through the night? The circuit has to be able to operate for 24 hours and that is now problematic in the U.K.
Peter’s suggestion is probably the only workable one but there may still be curfew issues.