Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Sep 2003, 22:05 (Ref:713604)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nogaro -- Will Anyone Bother??

Since the SR1 title has been decided (I haven't followed the SR2 points) and this is in essence the last race for the FIA-SCC as we know it before the LMES becomes a reality next year...

Will any teams bother to show up at Nogaro????

I'm not familiar with the circuit...will they learn anything that might help them at Le Mans Bugatti in November??

I ask this only because the layout I saw of the course makes it look like it is a rather high-downforce circuit, with only two straights of note.....

Otherwise, wouldn't teams be better preparing for Le Mans in November, since so much is riding on that race with the automatic invites???

Your thoughts.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 22:18 (Ref:713609)   #2
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be funny if only 5 entries show up. Would they cancel the race? lol. I would assume most of the sr2 cars would show up since alot of them are not legal in aco rules.

Long live the LMES
Old 9 Sep 2003, 22:26 (Ref:713613)   #3
weeks
Rookie

weeks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 19dodge
It would be funny if only 5 entries show up. Would they cancel the race? lol. I would assume most of the sr2 cars would show up since alot of them are not legal in aco rules.

Long live the LMES
It would definatly be an emberassing situation for the FIA.
I can't drive 55!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 22:34 (Ref:713621)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
They have raced with less than ten before now I seem to recall
Old 10 Sep 2003, 10:29 (Ref:713949)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The point about the older SR2 cars not being ACO-eligible is a valid one. Some of the teams - Lucchini springs to mind - will presumably not be taking their cars to Le Mans in November, so why bother preparing? They may as well go to Nogaro, especially as an FIA title (in SR2) is still to be won. Whether any SR1 cars will show, though, I don't know; what would be the point?

I regret to say it, but the three-year life of the FIA Sports Car Championship (if indeed Nogaro is the last race) has been a rather sorry affair. Lammers deserved titles in more auspicious circumstances, but, as he said, an FIA title is an FIA title. Mind you, I suppose that applies to Marco Zadra too...
Old 10 Sep 2003, 13:17 (Ref:714073)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would hope that some teams show up and make a go of it...I've said many times that I don't see the value to the teams (in terms of car development) or to the sponsors to have the car sit in a garage when you could collect some race data to tweak your car....

BTW...is my impression of Nogaro as a high-downforce track correct????

If it is, some set-up data could be acquired for LM-Bugatti in November...that track (LM-Bugatti) looks VERY high-downforce compared to the big circuit that they run in June....

Old 10 Sep 2003, 14:43 (Ref:714152)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
This thread encompasses something that I have been wondering about. If we are going to have a new, small prototype class next year, and the current cars do not fit the rules, then how will a qualifying race work? Will only '04 spec cars be racing in the qualifier? Or can you win a place in the qualifier with an '03 spec car, but then have to build a new one to actually run the '04 race?
Old 10 Sep 2003, 14:54 (Ref:714158)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That is a good question...but I'm assuming that the team will get the invite based on the podium finish, and the actual car they will take in May to the Test Days will get scrutineered and get the "Sticker of Approval" for the June race....so the car that shows up in November would not matter....

One point....the way I understnad it, LM-Bugatti is not really a "Qualifier"....it is a race that will reward the 3 podium finishers in each class with an automatic invite to the 2004 "24 Hours of Le Mans" (12 total invites)...that's the way I understand it, anyway....correct me if I'm wrong...

However, your question DOES raise a bigger, and more complicated question in my mind -- and this may be one that will definitely come up:

If the 675s are "grandfathered" into "LMP1" for next year, and Dyson, as an example, gets a podium spot for his class in November, is he required to use that podium spot for an "LMP2" bid, or can he use it, but race as a grandfathered LMP1??????

This may require another thread...because maybe others who can answer this aren't interested in the "Lame Duck" race at Nogaro on Sept. 21...

Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:10 (Ref:714175)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Nogaro -- Will Anyone Bother??

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Since the SR1 title has been decided (I haven't followed the SR2 points) and this is in essence the last race for the FIA-SCC as we know it before the LMES becomes a reality next year...

Will any teams bother to show up at Nogaro????

I'm not familiar with the circuit...will they learn anything that might help them at Le Mans Bugatti in November??

I ask this only because the layout I saw of the course makes it look like it is a rather high-downforce circuit, with only two straights of note.....

Otherwise, wouldn't teams be better preparing for Le Mans in November, since so much is riding on that race with the automatic invites???

Your thoughts.....
Id imagine that several cars should turn up, if for no other reasons than just to test some new parts on their cars in preperation for the LMES race at the Buaggti track. Okay sure they could do testing anywhere, but this way they can compare against other cars.

If the track is as high downforce as u say its a ideal place to get some running in, as we all know the Bugatti circuit is a medium/high downforce track. Maybe Im just speculating and am completly wrong, but itd be a shame not to run the final race of the season.

I remember reading in Autosport magazine a couple of weeks back that Dome have pulled out of the series now also, as they have already won the championship.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:22 (Ref:714180)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Note To Saleen:

The layout that I looke dup on e-tracks makes it "look" like it is probably a high-downforce circuit, but I have no idea...I'm not familiar with the circuit at all....

Layouts can be deceiving....if you look at a layout for Laguna Seca, you could come to the same conclusion as I did about Nogaro, but in fact, the opposite is true, because the corners are fast, so althought it is a "handling" circuit, it is not really a high-downforce circuit like Sears Point, Oschersleben, or a street circuit like Miami....

I was hoping that someone on the forum would weigh in and tell me more about Nogaro....and tell us what the circuit is "really" like....

Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:31 (Ref:714191)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what Ive seen the track looks strikingly similar to the Catalunya circuit.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:48 (Ref:714208)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The layouts are similar, but catalunya is longer -- nearly 2.9 miles vs. about 2.2 miles for Nogaro, and the start/finish line seems to be on the longer straight...Nogaro's is not...the first parts of Nogaro seem to be a series of corners and the long straight is the backstretch....

Old 13 Sep 2003, 14:55 (Ref:717543)   #13
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track is a high downforce track, no doubt about that....

The problem is that is not sure if they're going to held the race or not... also Durango isn't sure if they've to book the hotel or not....

I hope they will decide soon...
Old 13 Sep 2003, 15:46 (Ref:717570)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So chances are we'll see Durango not at Nogaro but at Le Mans in November, and in the LMES next year. - What about Fulvio C., will we see him again, too?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:09 (Ref:722972)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The race IS on and the Durango is on the entry list
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:31 (Ref:722986)   #16
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can i find the entry list??
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:38 (Ref:722991)   #17
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
There will be one RFH car Felipe Ortiz and Beppe Gabbiani will take part of the race.They are still in the running for second place in the championship.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 13:19 (Ref:723037)   #18
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Entry is not yet finalised - no list yet published but the Durango. #2 Dome and Pescarolo Courage are all racing
Old 18 Sep 2003, 13:25 (Ref:723041)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks Graham Goodwin!!!!

Please post a list or steer us to where we can find one when you find out...

I'm wondering if Promec will show up with their BMW power in the chassis

Old 19 Sep 2003, 05:27 (Ref:723743)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Just in case, this is the Nogaro site... not a lot of things, BTW...

I have to apologize for my last - wrong - news about the Nogaro week-end, I thought it was canceled, due to the lack of things in the french press/sites...
Old 19 Sep 2003, 20:57 (Ref:724635)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Did they have a practice session at Nogaro today????

The Lammers site doesn't have anything about it and the Nogaro site above only lists the qualifying sessions and the race schedule for tomorrow and Sunday....

Any word on practice, the size of the field, etc., would be most appreciated...

Old 20 Sep 2003, 05:41 (Ref:724819)   #22
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
#2 Dome was fastest with a 1:24.090
second was the Courage-Peugeot with the Frence driver Frank Lagorce in a time of 1:24.219.
That all there stood on the Dutch version of Jan Lammers site.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 17:40 (Ref:725112)   #23
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
Pole position for RFH #2 in a time of 1:23'235
Old 20 Sep 2003, 18:10 (Ref:725125)   #24
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
7 cars I believe

Dome, Courage, Durango plus 4 SR2s
Old 21 Sep 2003, 13:24 (Ref:725584)   #25
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
Courage Peugeot wins at Nogaro second is the #2 RFH