Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2531595)   #51
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

I thought of that too, but what really sounds troublesome is that, if all this is true, Piquet Jnr career is permanently damaged while if he has silenced about this he would still have a fair chance to put it on rails again and move on.
The problem with Piquet is that he comes with a lot of 'baggage'.It's difficult to imagine another team taking the same risks that Renault has just to employ a 'so-so' driver.They'd be better off with 'old-sour-puss' Bourdais.

There is also talk that Piquet LTD will be buying their own F1 team....possibly Renault.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 01:35 (Ref:2531629)   #52
flashing
Rookie

flashing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this has the potential to be pretty serious for all involved should Renault be found to have a case to answer.

This is not a case of a driver doing something on the spur of the moment in the heat of battle. Race strategy and therefore fuel loads are something decided by a group of senior people before the race. They would have presumably have run it through the simulation software and worked out all the angles and certainly all the people on the ‘prat-perch’ would be aware.

Again, innocent before found guilty and all that, but if this turns out to be true then the Renault F1 team, and not just Piquet are in a heap of trouble.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2531809)   #53
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's possible that someone has made a "formal complaint" in writing to FIA, so FIA has to investigate. Assuming that the allegation is based on someones comments rather than physical evidence I dont see any action being taken - hearsay is not enough.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2531812)   #54
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Jamesy did...
Thanks for clearing up that point.
Quote:
thought of that too, but what really sounds troublesome is that, if all this is true, Piquet Jnr career is permanently damaged while if he has silenced about this he would still have a fair chance to put it on rails again and move on.
I agree. What puzzles me about this whole incident is why someone in Brazil has decided to bring this to light now. What do they hope to gain? From what I see, there can only be losers if it is found to be true.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2531818)   #55
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This scam is only meant to sell tickets for Singapore.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2531838)   #56
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
From what I see, there can only be losers if it is found to be true.
Not if it can be 'swept under the rug'.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2531853)   #57
scoobiesnoop
Rookie

England
UK
scoobiesnoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Schumacher's pathetic "accident" in Monaco qualifying was surely as bad as anything Renault may have done in Singapore.Ferrari must have known about that but didn't suffer any fall out. I seem to remember BOTH Ferrari's spinning off at Silverstone as well, just to make sure they avoided qualifying in the rain.

Apparently,selling your soul to the Devil doesn't concern the World of F1.
Schumachers 'pathetic accident' was one made by schuey himself. It was a pretty straight forward attempt to gain an advantage in qualifying. If Renault have indeed asked Piquet to crash, that is a TEAM cheating and therefore much more serious. Also the FIA doesn't like it when there is puposeful danger to human life. I'm not saying that Piquets life was in danger but he crashed into a wall at speed erm, he was in a certain amount of danger. I reckon if found guilty the FIA would have no option but to exclude them from the 08 championship, hit them up for at least $100 million (ala McLaren) and then because there was a human element ban then from the rest of the season and all of next season. All of which would probably be enough for Renault to call it quits. Having said all that I can't imagine that Briatore, as crazy as he is, would instruct a driver to crash a car on purpose. If that is the case I hope he gets whats coming to him.

Last edited by Super Hans; 31 Aug 2009 at 14:50.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2531859)   #58
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiesnoop View Post
Having said all that I can't imagine that Briatore, as crazy as he is, would instruct a driver to crash a car on purpose.
FB: Nelson! A theenka theeza tarm eeza nata ta craazh you know!

NP: What's that Flav!? You want me to crash!?....OK.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2531861)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought it was odd that the FIA hadn't persecuted anyone for a bit.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2531867)   #60
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Nothing on the FIA website yet.Maybe it's Max's idea of a joke? A sort of 'leaving present' to Flav.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2531869)   #61
AshMcD
Rookie

AshMcD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Here we see Piquet practicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXvq...eature=related

and then...
He didn't spin, he was just doing a doughnut for the fans...

Ahem...
Old 31 Aug 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2531926)   #62
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
No.

Get back to discussing the investigation of a race from ages ago.

When are they doing Suzuka 1990 etc...?
And Nelson Sr.'s wins in Argentine-San Marino 1981 with an illegal car? Perhaps Reutemann could claim his title after all this time?

Most seriously, I think Nelsinho should be more cautious about what he says. It seems to be a "loose cannon" trick as he did his father, and if he wants to be in F1 he should preserve his image, and even help his stepbrother Pedro, who is a kid who has F1 aspirations, too.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2532020)   #63
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I thought we discussed this on the forum at the time and decided that Piquet was too rubbish to crash strategically?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2532023)   #64
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I thought we discussed this on the forum at the time and decided that Piquet was too rubbish to crash strategically?
I think that we decided that Piquet could not have done that all by himself,having to decide that the best strategy for the good of the team would be to throw the car at the scenery.

However,I can well believe that having been told to do the deed,then there would be no better driver for the job because he's had loads of practice.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2532024)   #65
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think if the team told him to crash on purpose he would have done a cack-handed job of it and got it wrong. I really think it was just Piquet being Piquet.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2532035)   #66
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Renault will be in trouble. If true, the FIA won't be able to find evidence. Maybe Piquet is willing to testify but that won't do his Formula 1 career much good, would it?
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2532037)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I think if the team told him to crash on purpose he would have done a cack-handed job of it and got it wrong.
He did! I think he intended to wipe all four wheels off.

He wouldn't have to try too hard at that particular circuit in order to bring out the safety car.Not saying that he did it on purpose,but it would be an easy track to have a very good chance of being successful if you did.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2532039)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I don't think Renault will be in trouble. If true, the FIA won't be able to find evidence.
So why bother looking for it in the first place?

A South American TV station broadcasts the story,and usually no one would take that much notice.I don't think that the FIA have sprung into action just because of something one of its members saw on TV.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2532060)   #69
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe Piquet is willing to testify but that won't do his Formula 1 career much good, would it?
I'm not sure. He can just say he was following team orders, so I don't think it would damage his rep that much, especially considering it's in tatters already having been so dreadful at Renault to start with
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2532073)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I would've thought that if something is proven, then that wil surely hasten Renault ending funding for Flavio's team.

No wonder other backers have been linked to Enstone lately!!
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2532078)   #71
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I'm not sure. He can just say he was following team orders, so I don't think it would damage his rep that much, especially considering it's in tatters already having been so dreadful at Renault to start with
Well, and the rep from this particular issue would be "Does exactly what team manager demands". Not going to scare team managers away with that.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2532079)   #72
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post
Well, and the rep from this particular issue would be "Does exactly what team manager demands". Not going to scare team managers away with that.
His loose lips will though.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:08 (Ref:2532080)   #73
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
If true, the FIA won't be able to find evidence.
Maybe Piquet Jnr was wearing a wire...? He could have had it on tape as an insurance policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I would've thought that if something is proven, then that wil surely hasten Renault ending funding for Flavio's team.
I can see another £100 Million fine being dealt out by the FIA for Renault, resulting in Piquet Snr buying Renault F1.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2532176)   #74
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Maybe Piquet Jnr was wearing a wire...?
even with the most sensitive recoding equipment it would still be impossible to decipher the mumblings Flav uses instead of words.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2532255)   #75
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems that Nelsinho doesn't want that his party could be over, in some ways this scandal reminds me the song "Khashoggi's Ship" by Queen.