Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2020, 05:34 (Ref:4010282)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Sir Lewis Hamilton is the GOAT

as much as I dislike the bloke. Mainly cause he’s a Pom and he whinges a lot. He is the greatest, and he can drive like no one else can. Schumacher won so many titles cause he had the best car. I thought he was the best. Hamilton Surpassing most of the drivers or yesteryears records’ means he is the GOAT. He will win it again this year too. who knows, somebody else might have the skill and the luck and dethrone him. But his record speaks for itself, and it’ll be very hard to beat.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 07:40 (Ref:4010304)   #2
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
as much as I dislike the bloke. Mainly cause he’s a Pom and he whinges a lot. He is the greatest, and he can drive like no one else can. Schumacher won so many titles cause he had the best car. I thought he was the best. Hamilton Surpassing most of the drivers or yesteryears records’ means he is the GOAT. He will win it again this year too. who knows, somebody else might have the skill and the luck and dethrone him. But his record speaks for itself, and it’ll be very hard to beat.
So Hamilton is not in the best car? Also Schumacher was never beaten to a Championship by his team mate. However what about Clark, Stewart, Fangio, Prost, Senna, Peterson, the list is huge and of the time. Maybe Hamilton is the Best now - although Vestapen or Alonso are in for a shot

Last edited by billy bleach; 13 Oct 2020 at 08:09.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 07:57 (Ref:4010310)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
An interesting comparison, when the following was posted a few short months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW97 View Post
Hamilton should proof himself in a car that isn't among the two best, like Schumi did back then when he moved to Ferrari.
I think it highlights why questions of 'who is the best' will never be answered to everyone's satisfaction, because of machinery, eras, competition etc...

LW97 told us that Perez, Vettel and Hulkenberg would all be capable of beating Hamilton in the same machinery.

Is Lewis the GOAT? Maybe, but it is difficult to prove beyond doubt.
Will Lewis have the best record of all time? Probably.

Maybe instead of calling him the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time), we should call him the BRAT (Best Record of All Time)?!!!
Old 13 Oct 2020, 08:17 (Ref:4010314)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This thread is going to be locked down quicker than New Zealand when Coronavirus pops up.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 08:44 (Ref:4010323)   #5
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW97 View Post
Hamilton should proof himself in a car that isn't among the two best, like Schumi did back then when he moved to Ferrari.
Schumacher moved to Ferrari when the Ferrari wasn't the best car, but he only won when Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne had turned it into the best car.

On the other hand, isn't getting yourself into the best car one of the skills of a top driver?
Old 13 Oct 2020, 10:18 (Ref:4010345)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GOAT? Dunno. In some criteria probably, in others probably not. I don't think anyone can be definitive about that and it comes down to our own personal biases in the end.

He has been the greatest of my lifetime though and is in that select and exclusive top group, the one ranked just ahead of the tainted greats (Schumacher and Senna basically).
Old 13 Oct 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4010348)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hamilton is the greatest of his generation.

Schumacher was the greatest of his generation.

Senna was the greatest of his generation.

Clarke was the greatest of his generation.

Fangio was the greatest of his generation.

etc.

As for "GOAT" - I find these arguments tedious and frankly rather silly. How could anyone compare drivers from the 50's against drivers of today? F1 is completely and utterly different in all ways apart from the name.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 11:51 (Ref:4010359)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, I wondered when another 'GOAT' thread would pop up. Haven't seen one for a little while. I wonder what version number we are up to now.....?
Old 13 Oct 2020, 12:06 (Ref:4010364)   #9
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Ow, so Lewis Hamilton bought a goat?
Did he give it a name, or did it remain nameless?

Perhaps even more important: who is going to take care of it when Lewis is in the car? Mr. Wolff perhaps?
Old 13 Oct 2020, 12:28 (Ref:4010370)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Ah, I wondered when another 'GOAT' thread would pop up. Haven't seen one for a little while. I wonder what version number we are up to now.....?
#44.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 13:32 (Ref:4010380)   #11
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
On track he is the GOAT. Off track he is a little Kid.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 13:56 (Ref:4010387)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Old 13 Oct 2020, 13:58 (Ref:4010388)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

etc.
Absolutely!

'it's every generation throws a hero up the pop charts'

To his credit, how much harder has LH made it for the next generation's hero?

im still bewildered that someone actually caught up to Michael!!!
Old 13 Oct 2020, 14:10 (Ref:4010392)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The big question is will Hamilton quit while he’s still on top or will someone like Max or Charles eventually knock him off the top before he goes? Either way, it would be nice to see someone give him a proper run for his money in 2021, even if he is the top driver atm
Old 13 Oct 2020, 15:31 (Ref:4010407)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Now that made me laugh, yes he is a great driver but not really the sort of person who will be remembered with great affection like sir sterling.
Old 13 Oct 2020, 16:02 (Ref:4010414)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So Hamilton is not in the best car? Also Schumacher was never beaten to a Championship by his team mate. However what about Clark, Stewart, Fangio, Prost, Senna, Peterson, the list is huge and of the time. Maybe Hamilton is the Best now - although Vestapen or Alonso are in for a shot
Looking at your list, Hammy is not only the best of now but equal best of the last 30 years, with Schuey. None come close. Alonso is handy but has had what could be called a stuttering career. Verstappen I don't see even in the same book yet alone on the same page. His first 4 years were a succession of crashes, incidents, collisions and reprimands. Now he has to drive according to the rules he's less successful.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 00:33 (Ref:4010497)   #17
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
How about we call him the LOAT? Luckiest of all time. ��

He's the best of this era no doubt.

Can't compare win totals and all with other generations. How many wins would Schumacher have if they ran 20+ races per year in his heyday?
Old 14 Oct 2020, 02:02 (Ref:4010507)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My first thought this morning to the GOAT moniker was that he's certainly one of the most accomplished, for sure. Then saw this later today:

Always fun to debate.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 02:22 (Ref:4010509)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those stats are pretty even.

Schumacher did it in a few less starts. Ratio is 34.9% v 37.0%

Schumacher has an extra title, but also an extra year and a bit in F1 (and didn’t have a Rosberg).

Poles is a difference.

Fastest laps might be down to the rules. A lot of Schumacher’s was during refuelling where a FL could happen at more times with a fuel light car. Hamilton put in those same great laps mid race, but not near the end when light as the race was won. I guess?

Podiums pretty close. Hamilton ratio is 61.3% to Schumacher 62.6%.

Different circuits could be there are more changes recently. ???

Who’s the GOAT. That’s easy, it’s Morbidelli.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 03:46 (Ref:4010511)   #20
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm actually surprised the race totals are so close. They are pretty even. Maybe instead of "schumacher didnt have a rosberg", it's more like "schumacher never lost to his rosbergs".
Old 14 Oct 2020, 05:05 (Ref:4010512)   #21
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Clarke ? Sir Sterling ? Who are these people - anything to do with that Luis Hamilton?
Old 14 Oct 2020, 05:28 (Ref:4010513)   #22
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Now that made me laugh, yes he is a great driver but not really the sort of person who will be remembered with great affection like sir sterling.
Unfortunately people see what they want to see these days....or what the media want you to see.

People seem to cast Hamilton as a jet setting, party going fashion guy whilst forgetting all the charity work he has done for UNICEF, kids charities, wildlife organisations etc, at the same time giving the likes of Stewart, hunt, Hill a free pass.

Could you imagine the twitter storm if Lewis was seen womanising, out getting drunk the night before the race.....transport those drivers into the modern era and can you imagine if the press got hold of some of those antics
Old 14 Oct 2020, 05:31 (Ref:4010514)   #23
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

etc.

As for "GOAT" - I find these arguments tedious and frankly rather silly. How could anyone compare drivers from the 50's against drivers of today? F1 is completely and utterly different in all ways apart from the name.
This.

Can’t compare generations, so let’s just settle for best of his generation and the most successful of all time (well soon to be anyway)
Old 14 Oct 2020, 07:04 (Ref:4010518)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm actually surprised the race totals are so close. They are pretty even. Maybe instead of "schumacher didnt have a rosberg", it's more like "schumacher never lost to his rosbergs".
No, but when he was about to he was waved past. Not that he ever had the calibre of teammate Hamilton has had. I think most agree on that.

Not saying Schumacher isn't a great. He and his team just had a different way of operating that maximised the result for them. It was less than enjoyable but totally logical and effective.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 07:52 (Ref:4010525)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
No, but when he was about to he was waved past. Not that he ever had the calibre of teammate Hamilton has had. I think most agree on that.

Not saying Schumacher isn't a great. He and his team just had a different way of operating that maximised the result for them. It was less than enjoyable but totally logical and effective.

Nelson Piquet - Complete rubbish really, fell into 3 WDCs by complete luck.

Massa more than handy before Brawn didn't bother to withdraw a car with a known problem.