Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Oct 2020, 03:14 (Ref:4013465)   #1
bloxsidgemotorsport
Rookie

bloxsidgemotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to for ARG?

With the lack of news from ARG for their championships, they seem to have lost a lot of their momentum from the previous year.

Will TCR grid expand with new teams and entrants? Britek have handed cars back and Kelly racing exited as well. Leaving GRM to carry the weight.

S5000 had a huge launch with their inaugural event. Unfortunately losing the Melbourne GP race was a huge blow to the category as it was shaping up to be a category defining weekend. Open wheel racing has not been popular since the F5000 days in the 70's, can this class be the answer. With manufacturers leaving the bodied car classes, maybe open wheelers are the way forward.

Super3 or Australian Touring Cars (which ever is the name) is their season over? Will they run on supercar calendar next season or back to ARG events?

Does ARG have a calendar yet for next season? Will it look at summer events to make up for lost events this season. Does Channel 7 still broadcast their racing next season? Will the Motorsports Australia national series become an ARG series?
Old 28 Oct 2020, 06:04 (Ref:4013477)   #2
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloxsidgemotorsport View Post
Super3 or Australian Touring Cars (which ever is the name) is their season over? Will they run on supercar calendar next season or back to ARG events?
I believe the 2019 agreement to rename V8 Touring Cars Super3 was repealed for 2020, but without any racing it's a bit hard to tell.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 01:06 (Ref:4014443)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
ARG 2021 calendar released.

As long as the virus stays away, we might get a season back again for all sports in 2021 - would be good.

I think that the original plan for ARG in 2020 was to wind back the financial support provided to competitors in 2019 to get it all off the ground so how it goes in 21 might depend on whether or not that continues. Would certainly be a tougher market in which to find funding externally.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 03:37 (Ref:4014458)   #4
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
ARG 2021 calendar released.

As long as the virus stays away, we might get a season back again for all sports in 2021 - would be good.

I think that the original plan for ARG in 2020 was to wind back the financial support provided to competitors in 2019 to get it all off the ground so how it goes in 21 might depend on whether or not that continues. Would certainly be a tougher market in which to find funding externally.
The next twelve to twenty four months is going to be tough for all categories and series. If anything, TCR or TA2 offer exceptional value for money in motorsport terms. So I wouldn't be surprised to see these categories flourish with entries, but it'll be due to the demise of other major categories or series.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 10:02 (Ref:4014494)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got their calendar out before Supercars have too

Who’s got their house in order?
Old 2 Nov 2020, 10:06 (Ref:4014496)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

Well they have got plenty of time on their hands, it's not like they went racing or updated any websites!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Nov 2020, 11:21 (Ref:4014515)   #7
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The cynic in me says to expect changes once Supercars announce their calendar.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 13:50 (Ref:4014546)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Easy peasy when there are only 6 events and they've run nothing all this year. It also seems that Supercars was genuinely blind-sided by the cancellation of the Adelaide 500 last week and it'd take a bit of work to sort out the calendar after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
The cynic in me says to expect changes once Supercars announce their calendar.
Possibly - although I suspect that Supercars may have given dates to MA, allowing the announcements of MA calendar and ARG calendar.
Old 2 Nov 2020, 23:14 (Ref:4014636)   #9
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Easy peasy when there are only 6 events and they've run nothing all this year. It also seems that Supercars was genuinely blind-sided by the cancellation of the Adelaide 500 last week and it'd take a bit of work to sort out the calendar after that.

Possibly - although I suspect that Supercars may have given dates to MA, allowing the announcements of MA calendar and ARG calendar.
At the very least with Supercars Media covering both they probably don't want to be stretched too thin by clashing dates or dates on consecutive weekends on the other side of the country.
Old 8 Nov 2020, 12:14 (Ref:4015474)   #10
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect that Supercars may have given dates to MA
Why would Supercars send their dates to Motorcycling Australia (MA) ??

The artist formerly known as CAMS needs to find a new acronym as MA is already taken, you'll notice they do not use the MA acronym themselves

Some have used MA4 while others MAus ??
Old 8 Nov 2020, 19:51 (Ref:4015530)   #11
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Why would Supercars send their dates to Motorcycling Australia (MA) ??

The artist formerly known as CAMS needs to find a new acronym as MA is already taken, you'll notice they do not use the MA acronym themselves

Some have used MA4 while others MAus ??
Don't Supercars Media produce the Australian Superbike TV coverage.
Old 8 Nov 2020, 22:17 (Ref:4015559)   #12
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
At the very least with Supercars Media covering both they probably don't want to be stretched too thin by clashing dates or dates on consecutive weekends on the other side of the country.
According to the latest Auto Action the 7 part is locked in for next year, but not necessarily who the production firm is yet
Old 15 Nov 2020, 13:08 (Ref:4016912)   #13
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
I was listening to the 3 stooges this morning on radio. Steve Johnson Mackelden and the other guy.

I think Mackelden was trying to infer that ARG had long term plan to switch their seasons to the summer.

Also, Steve Johnson is a driver in his own right along with being Dick's son. In today's show is why you just don't listen to fans and any superficial BS opinion they have.

Steve can talk as a fan despite the life he's lived in racing. He was expressing an opinion on the engines of S5000. He was banging on about how they didn't sound quite right.

I was in disbelief a bit with how he banged on about it. S5000's have a 5 litre V8 like everyone supposedley like and waffle on about how it's "Australian", and yet this gumby still has a criticism of it.

I mean. ARG have given you what "the fans" want and he's still not happy because the sound isn't right.

He's only one guy, but supercars fans share that opinion. This is another example of double standards I point out of supercars fans. Adam can crack it all he likes and accuse me of double standards, but Steve on radio highlights my point, and is an example of the lame car racing culture this country has and the fans it attracts.

For all the superficial interest in racing supercar fans have, imagine a plonker like Stevie J still not being satisfied with the sound of S5000?

**** me.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 05:08 (Ref:4017159)   #14
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
I was listening to the 3 stooges this morning on radio. Steve Johnson Mackelden and the other guy.

I think Mackelden was trying to infer that ARG had long term plan to switch their seasons to the summer.

Also, Steve Johnson is a driver in his own right along with being Dick's son. In today's show is why you just don't listen to fans and any superficial BS opinion they have.

Steve can talk as a fan despite the life he's lived in racing. He was expressing an opinion on the engines of S5000. He was banging on about how they didn't sound quite right.

I was in disbelief a bit with how he banged on about it. S5000's have a 5 litre V8 like everyone supposedley like and waffle on about how it's "Australian", and yet this gumby still has a criticism of it.

I mean. ARG have given you what "the fans" want and he's still not happy because the sound isn't right.

He's only one guy, but supercars fans share that opinion. This is another example of double standards I point out of supercars fans. Adam can crack it all he likes and accuse me of double standards, but Steve on radio highlights my point, and is an example of the lame car racing culture this country has and the fans it attracts.

For all the superficial interest in racing supercar fans have, imagine a plonker like Stevie J still not being satisfied with the sound of S5000?

**** me.

I think you would be happier if you just followed a different sport. This one has hurt you somehow. Best to make a clean break and have a look at cricket or golf maybe.
Old 16 Nov 2020, 07:04 (Ref:4017164)   #15
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Thanks Speedy. I'll consider it.
Old 24 Nov 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4018481)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Wherever they are going it is without Brian Boyd, as he has sold his shares to Barry Rogers:

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/exclusiv...-racing-group/

I have been suggesting for a while that quite a few business owners who support or compete in motor racing have major concerns now and I wonder if this is one of them. It is a big move.

Old 25 Nov 2020, 06:02 (Ref:4018627)   #17
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
The sky is falling!

Anyway, I was listening to the 3 stooges again on sunday morning. It was just a repeat of their show on Thursday night, but I didn't catch that part.

The "opinions" those guys have are what is essentially wrong with domestic racing in Australia.

These dummies downplay everything that's good that isn't supercars. More people went to the Shannons Nationals last year than for the previous 14 years put together, but that's not good enough.

Downplaying the manner of racing (similar to what Mixer has) when it means jack. As if they know what they're talking about, or weren't watching without a critical eye in the first place.

Steve Johnson's pedanticism over the S5000 engine noise I already stated. I do notice when Mackelden plays amateur psychiatrist when diminishing Bottas (an easy target atm) Stevie never chips in. I presume it's because Johnson recognises he was a home brand version of Bottas?

Looking forward to speedy failing to stop himself from replying.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 06:12 (Ref:4018628)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

I couldn't downplay the racing actually because there wasn't any...

Old 25 Nov 2020, 07:02 (Ref:4018632)   #19
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
They were talking about last year, and in the similar manner you diminish tcr.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 07:11 (Ref:4018636)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
They were talking about last year, and in the similar manner you diminish tcr.
I watch WTCR.

I hope Australia can get to the point where we have more than spirited exhibition races.

Right now it is looking a lot like 2 litre cars were towards the end of its existence, where a major competitor had a very large ownership slice, which is never really ideal.

Lots of differences however, particularly in accessibility and costs. Let's see what next year brings.

Good to see Honda being Mobil in as a sponsor. I guess we need a 2021 discussion thread.

Old 25 Nov 2020, 10:30 (Ref:4018668)   #21
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The sky is falling!

Anyway, I was listening to the 3 stooges again on sunday morning. It was just a repeat of their show on Thursday night, but I didn't catch that part.

The "opinions" those guys have are what is essentially wrong with domestic racing in Australia.

These dummies downplay everything that's good that isn't supercars. More people went to the Shannons Nationals last year than for the previous 14 years put together, but that's not good enough.

Downplaying the manner of racing (similar to what Mixer has) when it means jack. As if they know what they're talking about, or weren't watching without a critical eye in the first place.

Steve Johnson's pedanticism over the S5000 engine noise I already stated. I do notice when Mackelden plays amateur psychiatrist when diminishing Bottas (an easy target atm) Stevie never chips in. I presume it's because Johnson recognises he was a home brand version of Bottas?

Looking forward to speedy failing to stop himself from replying.

Ok you get a response.
I like race cars on race tracks.
You just seem angry at the world.
It’s ok- this year has been hard on us all.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 10:57 (Ref:4018673)   #22
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I watch WTCR.

I hope Australia can get to the point where we have more than spirited exhibition races.

Right now it is looking a lot like 2 litre cars were towards the end of its existence, where a major competitor had a very large ownership slice, which is never really ideal.

Lots of differences however, particularly in accessibility and costs. Let's see what next year brings.

Good to see Honda being Mobil in as a sponsor. I guess we need a 2021 discussion thread.

You'd have to be the only non-Hungarian that watches WTCR. The whole thing is farcical at best.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 11:55 (Ref:4018681)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You'd have to be the only non-Hungarian that watches WTCR. The whole thing is farcical at best.
Don't talk nonsense.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 12:16 (Ref:4018688)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
In my defense there wasn't a lot to watch lately.

I tried the British series and that was only entertaining because of the Bachmans hitting everything.

WTCR at least seemed to have competitive races, even if the driving standards were awful.
Old 26 Nov 2020, 00:29 (Ref:4018782)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Wherever they are going it is without Brian Boyd, as he has sold his shares to Barry Rogers:

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/exclusiv...-racing-group/

I have been suggesting for a while that quite a few business owners who support or compete in motor racing have major concerns now and I wonder if this is one of them. It is a big move.

Sure is a big move. Might (or might not) signal a change in operating approach from ARG.

Supposedly Mr Boyd was funding all the cash being splashed about so that might ease back now - or maybe not, we'll have to see on that one.

Allegedly also Mr Braid was put in his role and also kept his role due to Mr Boyd's support / backing so there might be changes there too.