Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Mar 2015, 20:17 (Ref:3517213)   #851
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
The Daytona meeting seems to have successfully instilled IMSA "best practices" WRT handling the series entrants and fans (i.e., **** them off) into FIA WEC.

I wish the above could've been said in jest.
Right, so now it is even IMSA's fault that the ACO/FIA make shite decisions. Working ever so hard there!

L.P.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 20:48 (Ref:3517224)   #852
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
It looks like the folks in Daytona still think the DP was good and have convinced FIA/ACO of same even though DPs had to buy spectators. This is scary - head in the sand group actually convinces someone else of their folly!
It used to be the US that followed the lead of ACO/FIA. OTOH - if this would lead us back to IMSA GTX etc I'd be fine.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3517229)   #853
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All i want is less Nissans in LMP2. heck, might as well re-name it to LMP2Nissan Class
Old 19 Mar 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3517243)   #854
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
All i want is less Nissans in LMP2. heck, might as well re-name it to LMP2Nissan Class
Well at Le Mans the situation will improve as there will be 14/20 P2s with Nissan engines compared with 13/17 last year.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 22:23 (Ref:3517253)   #855
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
And in two years you'll get your wish when every LMP2 has an identical VW engine.........
Old 20 Mar 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3517494)   #856
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Casual reference from the FIA to the single engine thing.
http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-...il-2015-geneva
Old 20 Mar 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3517502)   #857
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/industry/fia...gine-for-2017/
let's organise some protest for Silverstone
Old 20 Mar 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3517514)   #858
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only good thing that can come from this is more interest in privateer LMP1 entries. Or maybe that is FIA/ACO's plan all along!

Hopefully it will be Judd, otherwise it won't surprise me if that's the end for them in sportscar racing.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3517516)   #859
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Only good thing that can come from this is more interest in privateer LMP1 entries. Or maybe that is FIA/ACO's plan all along!

Hopefully it will be Judd, otherwise it won't surprise me if that's the end for them in sportscar racing.
With the cost gap between the two classes, that is not going to happen.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3517519)   #860
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
With the cost gap between the two classes, that is not going to happen.
That's thing I don't get. They HAVE to understand that the gap between full LMP1 and cost capped spec P2 is going to be huge. Telling a current P2 competitor to go full on LMP1 is crazy, AND it's NEVER happened in recent years.

Can anybody point to ONE LMP2 manufacturer (not privateer) in the last 10 years that went from P2 up to P1?

And if this is spec, what the heck is LMP3 going to be? cheaper spec?

it's a strange world we live in, where Jim France is the one pounding the dirt at the ACO for more open rules.

On the upside, It means a more open LMP2 will mean a BUMPER crop of entries in TUSCC P2 and those will all be eligible for LeMans.

Oh well, at least we have GTLM/E and GT3 coming.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3517525)   #861
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Can anybody point to ONE LMP2 manufacturer (not privateer) in the last 10 years that went from P2 up to P1?
Whilst this is a dark day for sportscar racing, I want to play the game by saying Acura (2008 > 2009) and possibly Porsche (although with a gap in the middle). Also Mazda via Dyson (mainly due to rule changes). Also Radical..

But I agree with your point, it's not reasonable at all. The excellent DSC article on the subject would also suggest that almost no-one in the paddock, except Oreca and maybe Oak, are happy with this development.

At what point does it go beyond incompetence and become blatantly corrupt? I can't think of any other word for taking something from an open formula and turning it into an exclusive club for the ACO's friends.

RIP diversity, more reason to stay away from the WEC and concentrate on GT races like Spa, Nurburgring and Bathurst.

It's sad when a class dies of natural causes (GT1, ALMS P1), but when it is strangled whilst entering the prime of its life this is an absolute crime against the sport that the ACO committing.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3517535)   #862
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps is time for IMSA to forget the ACO agreements and start to look for a DP Gen III with DTM/SuperGT chasis commonality. No US Prototype teams have gone to LM in the recent years, so why keep the ACO prototype classes?
Old 20 Mar 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3517538)   #863
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It was nearly headed this way naturally when 80%+ use the Nissan engine. Sad to see its going to be 'the law'. I agree that DP should align with class 1 (future gt500/dtm).
Old 20 Mar 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3517541)   #864
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It was nearly headed this way naturally when 80%+ use the Nissan engine. Sad to see its going to be 'the law'. I agree that DP should align with class 1 (future gt500/dtm).
I agree with the first sentence, the market itself was pushing for a spec engine. Judd and HPD are a minority. Many people will complain outdoors, but indoors they´ll be be more than happy.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3517658)   #865
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I strongly agree about going to Class One for IMSA, but they'll lose the Le Mans connection... unless Bandoh-san and Mr. Aufrecht (which is impossible for him) aggressively campaigning for their cars to be eligible in Le Mans.

Oh well, let FIA/ACO destroy LMP3 'cause what's the point where LMP2 is already a spec series! Should they want to push some of the teams to LMP1, they should work on cost first as the gap between privateer P1 and P2 is frickin' huge!
Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3517874)   #866
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RLM tipping Dallara to be the fourth LMP2 constructor, along with Onroak, ORECA and Riley. Surprising.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3517878)   #867
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
RLM tipping Dallara to be the fourth LMP2 constructor, along with Onroak, ORECA and Riley. Surprising.
Not Riley. He said Multimatic/Lola.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3517883)   #868
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really would like to be an optimist but with no Zytek-Gibson, HPD, Dome and no possibility for other manufacturers and teams to develop their own chassis - it's just have less and less sense to prefer LMP2 over different formulae. No engineering vs better speed. And it looks like many teams are going to leave in favour of GT3. So do young talented pilots. Can't see any advantages for LMP2.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:31 (Ref:3517896)   #869
blankfile
Racer

blankfile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the seperate announcement of the engine means that they are reviewing the 4 manufacturer rule
Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3517909)   #870
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
The pessimist in me says that's because they've already chosen the chassis constructors but are waiting for bids for the engine manufacturer (presumably selling the rights for kickbacks like any true spec series).

But I hope you're right......
Old 21 Mar 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3517994)   #871
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I don't think Dallara getting the contract to build a cheap spec car is ever surprising.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 18:32 (Ref:3518004)   #872
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The only "non-spec" car that Dallara has built in recent years has been the Audi LMP1 cars. All the R8s, R10s, R15s, and 2011-2013 R18s were built by Dallara, and that's only because Audi paid them to build the tubs under subcontract.

Audi switched from Dallara to YCom (who had been doing other carbon fiber work for Audi Sport) at the end of 2013.

So the 2013 Audi R18 was the most recent major "non-spec" car that Dallara has built.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 18:46 (Ref:3518012)   #873
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The only "non-spec" car that Dallara has built in recent years has been the Audi LMP1 cars. All the R8s, R10s, R15s, and 2011-2013 R18s were built by Dallara, and that's only because Audi paid them to build the tubs under subcontract.

Audi switched from Dallara to YCom (who had been doing other carbon fiber work for Audi Sport) at the end of 2013.

So the 2013 Audi R18 was the most recent major "non-spec" car that Dallara has built.
Formally not true as F3 is not spec, the FIA just does everything possible to keep others out ...
Old 21 Mar 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3518015)   #874
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Pierre just twitted this crap
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...01360626766950
How much has he payed him?

All with a twitter should go BOOOOO him.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3518017)   #875
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
The pessimist in me says that's because they've already chosen the chassis constructors but are waiting for bids for the engine manufacturer (presumably selling the rights for kickbacks like any true spec series).

But I hope you're right......
I would tend agree with you. It seems that Oreca & Oak + Riley are a given, Riley because the ACO "had" to include an American constructor and now it seems Dallara may have slid the envelope under the door to join the party.

What comes next for the engine I wonder, a Nissan re-badged as a Renault? That would fit the politics of it all, and hey, they already have one in LMP3!

Which brings the question that people must be wondering, what is the future of LMP3, now you will have a much more expensive "spec" LMP2? On the surface other than the lack of a carbon roof and the cost, they appear to be the same animal.

Once the big 4 constructors control LMP2, I would imagine Oreca will be whining away that as a "small manufacturer" claiming they cannot make ends meet only being in LMP2 and pretty soon you will see them produce an LMP3 car too, probably already drawn up anyway. Then what? Lo and behold LMP3 get restricted to only 4 constructors too, and is combined into LMP2 as a "privateer only" sub class?

I think if one was to look back over the years at the carpark outside the ACO offices and see the prevalence for Audi road cars, one could be convinced that the ACO is an independent governing body, only concerned about the competitors well being and any thoughts of self interest would never spring to mind. Their actions now with this LMP2 fiasco, confirms this integrity clearly.